1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros - 2011 MLB Non-Waiver Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets934life, Jun 15, 2011.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

The Stros have 3 players that could be identified as definite tradeable assets. Others could also be moved but the return would be minimal or could go after the non-wavier period.

Hunter Pence - Tigers, Phillies, Braves, Rangers, and Giants
    Wandy Rodriguez - Yankees, Rangers, Tigers, Rockies and Cardinals
    Micheal Bourn - Nationals, Phillies, Braves and Giants

These guys could net a very nice return and each is an asset a lot of teams are looking for. Pence is having his best season and teams in need of offense would certainly ask for the 28 year old RF who is still under club control until he turns 30. Wandy seems to have picked up where he left off and would potentially be the most attractive starting pitcher on the market, helps he is left handed. Bourn wouldn't draw the interest those guys would but still could fetch a nice lower level prospect from a team looking for a leadoff man.

Others like Keppinger and Barmus could bring back a decent prospect but wouldn't bring a huge impact and thus could move later on in the season. The wild card maybe Brett Myers, if the guy can ever recover a bit of the magic he had last season, he could bring a nice return. His contract isn't Caballo bad and is only for one more season so if he shows improvement and a team like St Louis, Yankees or Rangers might take a shot with him.

Changes are coming and some, if not most, of these guys will be history and hopefully Wade can leave us with a nice going away present before Crane dumps him.

2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Trade everyone you can, Pence, Wandy, Myers, Lee, Bourn, everyone on the regular roster. Keep the payroll down to a minimum. Bring up young guys like JD Martinez see what they can battlefight er do.

Get the #1 pick this year and next year ala the Nats with Strasberg and Harper then let's add the prospects from this deadline dump to go along with Altuve, Ovando, Springer, Deshields, Folty, Villar, etc. and then go on the FA spending spree with all of that saved cash.

2013 is the year we just have to be patient and do this correctly.

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I think you underestimating Michael Bourn’s trade value. He plays one of the premier positions in baseball in centerfield. He provides gold glove defense and is a great base runner who is having a solid offense year. Plus more importantly for teams he is relative cheap. The Rangers have a need for a centerfielder so they might be the team to watch. However, I have no faith in Ed Wade and I doubt he trades Wandy, Pence, or Bourn. I think he trades Barmes and Keppinger though which he should.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I guarantee Wandy does not want to go to Colorado. Remember what happened to Darry Kile's curve ball when he left for the Rockies?

5. rockets934life

I'm sure you're right but it has gotten much better since they went to the humidor thing. Either way it isn't Wandy's decision to make and Colorado has some interesting prospects along with a win now mentality.

On Bourn, again probably right but it's hard to measure what one team will pay up in comparison to another for a speed and defense guy. I will say the more Bourn continues to hit, the more his stock does increase and he does have a fairly impressive resume since joining the Stros.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

MLBTR:
    The Astros are currently an MLB worst 25-45 and are in the process of being transferred to a new owner, so they certainly figure to be sellers at the trade deadline. MLB.com's Bill Ladson hears that they are looking to trade both Brett Myers and Jeff Keppinger, two names that have frequented the trade rumor circuit in recent months (Twitter links). Ladson doubts that the Nationals would have interest in either.

Myers might not be very marketable these days. He'll be 31 in August, and he's pitched to a 5.03 ERA with 6.5 K/9 and 3.0 BB/9 in 87 2/3 innings this season. The 18 homers he's allowed are the most in baseball and his fastball velocity has fallen off considerably. Myers will earn $7MM this season and $11MM next season before a $10MM club option ($3MM buyout) for 2013 comes into play.

Keppinger seems like a much more practical trade candidate. He's hitting .301/.329/.370 since coming off the disabled list following a foot injury, and last year he hit a respectable .288/.351/.393 with more walks (51) than strikeouts (34) in 575 plate appearances. Keppinger has plenty of experience at second, third, and short, and his $2.3MM salary is a little easier on the wallet. He is also under team control next year as an arbitration-eligible player.

The Yankees have been connected to both players at times, though we recently learned that they "don't have a match" for Myers. Keppinger was more of an offseason target for them.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://twitter.com/#!/washingnats

I heard this at #Nats Park. The #Astros are looking to trade RHP Brett Myers and infielder Jeff Keppinger.

I doubt the #Nats would have interest in #Astros' RHP Brett Myers and infielder Jeff Keppinger.

8. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

I think Myers is probably untradeable at this point, but Keppinger could probably fetch some C+ level prospect.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

MLBTR:
    •(Ken) Rosenthal asked Yankees GM Brian Cashman if he would consider trading for an ace, and Cashman replied, "I'm not Ruben Amaro," referring to the Phillies GM and his affinity for blockbuster trades. Rosenthal names Wandy Rodriguez as a potential target for New York, but says there could be a hangup since the Astros value Rodriguez as an ace, while the Yanks would view him as a back-of-the-rotation addition.​

10. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Yeah in the AL I think Wandy Rodriguez is an 3rd starter on a playoff contender. I don't think he is an ace like the Astros think he is but they still could get some good value for him near the deadline. Decent contract and he is pitching well right now. As for Myers and Keppinger, I think Keppinger is gone for sure by the deadline. Love to see Jason Bourgeois get extended starts at 2nd base to see how he does because he deserves to play everyday if he continues to play this well. I think Myers will be harder to move given his contract and subpar year but he pitched well last night. He is a horse and innings eater which increases his value. If he pitches well the next month, he should be gone as well. But with Ed Wade as your GM, you never know. He never seems to sell high.

11. DoitDickau

Wandy's not a back in of the rotation starter even in the AL. Since Mid-June of last year he has the 2nd best ERA in all of baseball. He's might not be an ace, but he'd be the 2nd best starter in the Yankees rotation

12. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Not saying he is back on rotation starter. Just saying he isn't an acne. He is more of a middle rotation starter. I just don't think he would be as good in the AL. I don't think he would be the number two starter for the Yankees though. I think if healthy, Bartolo Colon would be that guy. He has pitched great this year. He is the type of power pitcher you want in the playoffs.

13. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

True. Ezequiel Astacio, on the other hand...

14. rockets934life

Wandy isn't an ace and if the Stros view him as such...well it tells you all you need to know about the front office. He is, however, very good and should be the best pitcher on the market come July 31st. Stros should get at least 1 good to great prospect with another mid-tier prospect.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

If he isn't an ace, there aren't that many, and Roy Oswalt wasn't either. There are 30 MLB teams, so in theory the 30 number 1 caliber pitchers in baseball. Wandy is a top 20 pitcher. The Phillies are the only team with a rotation good enough to not have Wandy in the top 3 of the rotation.

Best pitcher on the market right now.

16. rockets934life

In theory, yes, in reality there are 7-10 possible true aces in baseball. Wandy isn't included but is he a top 20 pitcher...I can agree with that. I posted this in the gameday thread, I think Wandy is probably a solid #2 starter on a contending team and will be VERY valuable at the trade deadline.

True aces...

Halladay
    Ciff Lee
    Lincecum
    Wainwright
    Felix Hernandez
    Verlander
    Sabathia
    Lester
    Beckett

Price???

17. DoitDickau

Yea sorry i was replying more to the quote from the mlbtraderumors blurb. Hopefully he can continue to up his trade value and they can net at least one elite pitching prospect. Since Lyles' graduated the system is painfully thin on pitching.

18. what

what Member

I wouldn't trade Pence. It would have to be a major can't miss prospect and a mid-level guy to consider a deal for him.

Pence & Wallace have a ring to it.

I think trading Bourn could be okay, but again it would require a lot to get him.

Bourn and Waddy are the guys I trade. I don't let the bloodsuckers near Pence though.

The astros have some up and coming talent that we need a core of players to add to it.

In reality, I'd rather keep Bourn than trade him.

JD Martinez
    Bourn
    Pence = exceptional outfield.

I'm not sold on Jason Bourgeois. Plus, the astros need all the middle defense it can get to account for the glut of bad defensive position players.

Add Castro next year, and then we need to build a starting rotation.

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'd trade Pence in a hot second. He's having a great year and I seriously doubt his numbers ever improve considerably on what he's doing right now. Wandy I think is a special situation. I think he's a 2nd or 3rd pitcher in a rotation in Houston but in a city like New York I just don't think Wandy can mentally handle that pressure. I can understand why the Yankees don't consider him a top end of the rotation type of player even though I think Wandy's ERA has been among the league leaders the last few seasons for lefthanders.

20. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Wandy has a lower ERA since 2008 than 5 of those guys (min 600 IP).