1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which young player will step up their game to the next level with Mchale as coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T-Slack, Jun 13, 2011.

?

Which player will take the next step under Mchale?

1. Patterson

121 vote(s)
    63.4%
  2. Williams

30 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. Budinger

5 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. Hill

12 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Dragic

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Thabeet

19 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I watched when Mchale took over as coach in Kevin Love's rookie year, and his game started taking off once he was coach. So when I heard Mchale could be the coach here, I got excited in the player development front. So it got me thinking who could take that next step on our roster. My pick is Patrick Patterson with T Will coming in second. I know Kevin Love was a stud to begin with, but I believe Patterson has the tools to be a beast on both side of the ball. I would do a poll but i don't know how.

2. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

3. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

The popular answers will be PdPatt and T Will. Patterson going into his second year and T Will being known as God here on Clutchfans.

Patterson should have a great year, and his numbers will be even better if Scola is shipped like some are suggesting. I still think T Will is a headcase so I don't think he'll do anything. I'm hoping for Hasheem Thabeet to have a career changing season personally.

Really those three guys and J Hill are the only Rockets with much potential for a "breakout" season. I think the rest of our team are close to their ceilings with the way Lowry, Chuck, and Lee stepped it up last year.

4. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I agree with you that T Will is a headcase, but his talent is undeniable and with Morey pulling the strings now, I believe Williams will have a fair share to win some minutes.

5. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Twill would be our Deshawn Stevenson..:grin:

6. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Without the jump shot.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Which is something he could develop if he cared (look at Lowry).

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Release the squidward

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Beats the hell out of me.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

From the interviews, it seems McHale wants to emphasize interior defense. So Hill, Thabeet, and Patterson likely gets first billing in his mind. Whereas TWill is just a random guy out there. He can contribute, but he's not integral to the philosophy McHale wants to bring to the team.

11. lionaire

lionaire Member

Hopefully T-Will...but realistically Pat-Pat.

12. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Yes, just like Stevenson but without shooting ability or defensive intensity. And also requiring the ball to be effective, if you can call what he does "effective".

But other than that you're right.

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

My vote would be for Patterson because he has demonstrated that he has what it takes to step it up with or without McHale.

However, I think we will see a concerted effort and focus on the coaching staff on Thabeet, Hill, and Williams.

Any semblance of return on the potential that got these guys drafted at #2, 8, and 11 is a bonus.

14. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

PP is the one. he should be able to learn post move tricks from mchale. he needs them to move up and reach an elite player level.

15. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

The answer is obviously Thabeet, his game is so far in the toilet that "the next level" would be for it to back-up and spill onto the bathroom floor.

So, I have no doubt that Mchale can get Thabeet's game to the floating turd level.

16. Raven

Raven Member

Patterson was going to improve anyway. It's Williams who'll benefit the most from a new coach and a clean slate.

17. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

That's exactly what people said 6 months ago. What kind of a scrub needs a clean slate every 6 months, LOL?

18. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I hope Thabeet and Hill pickup their games... Forcing teams off the 3pt line (Dallas) into Thabeet and Hill will help us tremendously. Miami had no one to stop Dallas from getting easy buckets after they penetrated.

19. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

some ppl are not born to play bball no matter who is their coach. thabeet is a typical example. on the earth, finding a 7 foot is not a tough job, but getting a 7-foot good bball player is tough.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Patterson...though I think he'd do it under any coach.