1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justice: McHale should talk to, not iso, Les Alexander

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 7, 2011.

1. PeppermintCandy

The team president doesn't seem to think it's "a little bit of everything." He said JVG would still be the coach if he played nice with Alexander. Seems pretty cut and dry.

And I get that an owner needs to be able to communicate with his entire staff, including his coach. He does, after all, have the final say over the entire operation.

But if an owner believes in a coach's intelligence, work ethic and probably his coaching ability, I'd figure he'd somehow work out what I see as a minor conflict instead of letting him go, especially since JVG really wanted to stay. The same probably goes for Adelman too.

2. Chris Jent MVP

probably not very good either. atleast thats how it seems to me. i remember rudy's demeanor during some ceremony while he was visiting with the lakers once. cd had gone out to give the presentation, and the whole time it looked like rudy wanted to get the HELL out of there.

3. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

nice read Hurricane. the article kinda skips around Rudy doesn't it?

3.3 posts per year?! i thought i was minimalist but you make me look like a chatterbox.

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

Indeed it is. Did firing Rudy make us win less than we otherwise did with JVG? Did firing JVG make us win less than we otherwise did with Adelman?

If your answer is 'no', then what's the problem? It's all about winning after all.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Holy cow, Clutchfans is getting trolled by its own members now. I've never drooled over a Justice article and I'm not going to now.

It's interesting though. Here's to McHale being successful.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Rudy T, Rocket at Heart, is still scouting for the Lakers. Isn't that all you need to know to answer that question?

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You know, the Rockets had an All Star this season. His name was and is Yao Ming. He was expected to come back this season. He did, for all of 5 games. Since people are busy pulling things out of their collective hats regarding Rick Adelman, how does an open mind think that going into the season with Mr. Yao Ming expected to play, only to be told he had to have severely limited minutes, then managed to play all of 5 games, and then was, again, lost for the season, affect the first half of the season? Some will say, so what? Big hairy ****ing deal. Some of the rest of us believe that hammered the start of the Rockets' season. What do you think?

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Never owned a business myself, but I have worked as a sort-of manager in a small business. I can tell you based on my experience is that I simply hold the non-communicators on a much shorter leash. And those who communicate well are given more rope.

The reason behind such thinking is simple. If someone who never talks to me underperforms, then I simply assume its his/her fault. Either he's slacking off, not capable, or whatever. OTOH, communicators can tell me what's wrong, perhaps it's because my orders were badly given, perhaps they did not have the resources, etc. I can also ask these people for help on things I wish to learn in order to perform better myself.

This last season is a perfect example of why Adelman's lack of communication could've really pissed Les off. The Rockets were middling at below .500 and thoroughly out of the playoff hunt. Les was understandably pissed. Morey then proceed to trade Brooks and Battier(a decision I personally feel have zero to do with team chemistry and 100% to do with them not resigning). Then the Rockets suddenly went on a tear.

At this point what is Les to think? That Adelman plays "his guys" even though the team would perform better with "younger guys"? Perhaps its Adelman's fault for sticking with veterans. Perhaps there are other reasons. But when you don't communicate, your superior is only left with guesses. And I can speak from personal experience that you don't want your superiors guessing a lot about you. It's not healthy for your job security.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If not for the Yao situation, the Rockets make the playoffs, easy. Let's remember they started 1-6 in large part because of Yao's problems.

Heck, they almost made it anyway.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good luck. There are those here who are trying their damnedest to forget any of that ever happened. They won't say so, because it's easier to support their "argument" if they ignore it. Why? Beats the hell out of me.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't get it either. The GARM has been even more bizzare than usual the past couple weeks.

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

What does any of this have to do with Carl's point?

He didn't say Adelman did a bad job. He is saying there is more talent on this team than people give credit for. What does Yao screwing up chemistry have to do with that? Could we have had a better record without the distractions? Maybe. Then people would be saying, "making the playoffs without an All Star=great job coaching no-talent team". Carl's point would still apply.

Come on guys, its one thing to be completely clueless when a thread is meant to lead you astray:grin:, however with Carl, I thought he was being pretty straightforward.

#92 CXbby, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  13. TheFreak

Maybe you should address this criticism to the biggest purveyor of said nonsense, Mr. @dmorey.

14. CXbby

CXbby Member

I am pretty sure @dmorey never said anything about a "no-talent team". Pointing out we have no All-stars(who is playing) is merely a fact.

No need for desperation, Freak.

#94 CXbby, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  15. TheFreak

Yep. Clutch told us Less wanted Rick gone in the first month of the season. That's why he's gone. People keep trying to defend Morey, but it's not up to Morey. The owner is irrational. This article confirms it. It's like when the Bulls could have brought back Phil Jackson and Jordan but didn't want to b/c the owner/GM were tired of it. Same thing. Irrational.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yeah, haters just don't understand that we'd have gone 5-2 to start and promptly finish ahead of Memphis and NO. Nevermind that it was a brutal opening schedule and the Rockets without Yao later in the season weren't beating these same teams either. But that's just "hater logic" and can be ignored.

Haters also don't understand that we'd have won like 60 games had we benched Battier and Brooks for Chase and played Lowry 40+mpg.

17. ApuN

ApuN Member

First:

Richard Justice = Tool

Second, the Rockets have only won 1 playoff series in 13 years. The only constant in that time period has been Les Alexander

Folks need to think about that

18. TheFreak

Less should be ecstatic now. His new head "coach" should have plenty of time to keep him updated on the day-to-day happenings, since he won't have to worry about doing any "coaching". That will be left up to the assistants and Morey. In the new NBA, one man can't do it all by himself. How can a head coach be expected to coach, as well as let the owner know what's going on? It's just not possible. With this new cutting edge model, the owner is completely informed at all times on which players are excelling and which ones need to be low-balled during the next free-agency period (or more likely, both).

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

I don't get what Yao Ming getting injured has to do with anything. If Yao hadn't been injured we'd be contenders. Without Yao the talent level was enough to get the 8-6th playoff spot in the West. To blame everything on Yao Ming getting injured just seems lazy to me. People like myself, CH and Cxbby have already stated logical arguments why we missed the playoffs. Why don't you address that first instead of whining about Yao ming getting injured at the start of the season?

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

If your results don't show you winning

And the owner can't get an idea of what's going on from the coaching staff

How exactly is he meant to feel confident that the direction is towards winning?