1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justice: McHale should talk to, not iso, Les Alexander

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Chris Jent MVP

rick adelamn is not a hofer.

but les went and got himself a hofer named kevin mchale.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

who is more likely to be in the hof for coaching?

3. Chris Jent MVP

mchale is already hof, i don't think its possible to get inducted to hof twice, so your question is dubious at best.

still, the fact remains - adelman is NOT hof. when he becomes hof, i will address him as such.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

whatever, we know who's the proven coach. but my bad, i thought he was a hofer

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

1. This article sort of confirms our suspicion that the disconnect was between the owner and the coach, not the GM and the coach. (And that it's not really about job performance but about how the owner LIKES the coach.)

2. I thought the rule of thumb in the work place was that you don't bypass your immediate boss (the GM in this case) and talk to the big boss yourself.

3. I thought the boss, not the subordinate, should be the one who controls the level of communication he wants.

6. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

1. good PR should be true, or at least have the ability to appear true. when the owner sends in Yao Ming's minutes via the chronicle ... i can believe they had problems.

2. JVG hasn't joined up. they just co-opted a week old quote to the cause.

3. imo a better point. they're trying to sell the story of an enlightened, hands off, humanitarian owner bullied out of the loop by successive coaches. i'm not a Les basher but my first impression is LES grow a pair. the buck stops with you, its your damn buck.

Les, of course, is the common factor in both relationships. 'tween the mudslinging he should take a look in the mirror.

7. Chris Jent MVP

was adelman BORN as a "proven" coach ??

in his first year with the blazers, his record was 14-21. if the naysayers had their way, he wouldnt have gotten the chance to be anything more than that.

he had a great run with portland, but then at gsw, he was 66-98. if the naysayers had their way, he would have been seen as a loser and portland was just a fluke.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Unless the big boss comes to you to ask questions.

He did. And the subordinate blew him off. You try that with your boss.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Les: "Coach, do you think it is possible for us to play a more exciting uptempo game. I just want to get a feel for what you think."

JVG: "grrrrrrrrrr"

Les: "Coach, what's up with not playing TMac. I'm just curious. I just want to be in the loop."
    RA: "Go ask Clutchfans.net, they'll tell you."

Les: "Coach, I talked to my doctors...they say we can play Yao 20 minutes each game to let him play into shape. I think the fans want to see his progress. What do you think?"
    RA: "hmmmmm. His handlers in China want me to play him 30mpg."
    Les: "Really. Yeah, let's try that."

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Where did you get that from the article? :confused:

11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

To have the biggest knee jerk whiner on Clutchfans complain about someone being obvious and predictable is hilarious. How many lemons do you suck on before you post (not there is anything wrong with that)?

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I say he doesn't, if he has gotten rid of two great coaches because of this, then Les is a problem.

DD

13. Chris Jent MVP

i say you are wrong, if les got rid of two coaches because of this, then the coaches were the problem.

since les is still the woner, i am righter than you.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Way to ignore my post. If DM didn't trade Brooks and let RA have his way, we WOULD HAVE HAD A LOSING RECORD. In fact we were 5 games under 0.500. Where's the winning record in that? If the team was already overachieving why did they suddenly have a winning record after the trade deadline? If having a losing record means you overachive, but then having a winning record means you overachieve, then when do you not overachieve?

Or is Rick Adelman, the only HOF coach who isn't in the hall of fame, so good you automatically overachieve no matter what the results are? I mean, people always say he won wherever he went, yet he had only had 4 prior stints and had losing records in two of them?

15. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I dont think that will be a problem for McHale as he can turn a simple 10 min conversation into a long ass seminar.

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

Where did I get it? That was what the entire article was about. What were you reading?

17. PeppermintCandy

I know this is the opinion of the team president, but if it's really true, it means Alexander did not fire JVG because he had a problem with his defensive coaching style, as many of us believed.

How disappointing would it be if JVG was let go not because Alexander wanted a more offense-oriented team, but because he wouldn't play nice with the owner when they talked on the phone?

And even if this isn't strictly true, what does it mean when the team president believes this is how his organization is run?

I guess we're not talking a Team of Rivals here.

18. Chris Jent MVP

it's a little bit of eveything. all these things are related. another poster in this thread made the point very well - if the coach doesn't communicate with the owner, then the owner ends up communicating with other people. if those other people have a different point of view then the coach, then the coach's point of view is neglected.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Tough to argue with that lol.

DD

20. Huricane

Huricane Contributing Member

I don't post much, but I'm a little peeved by what the article is trying to say so I am going to put in my two cents.

The article talks about the level of communication that Jeff Van Gundy and Rick Adelman had with Les Alexander.

It's interesting to note that both coaches were not brought back, for all practical purposes, the lack of communication that they had with Les Alexander.

In this league and at this level, it's all about winning.

Regardless of how you feel about either Jeff Van Gundy or Rick Adelman, and while both of them had their faults, both were great coaches. Me personally, I'm a Rockets fan, and I want to see the team win. Jeff Van Gundy and Rick Adelman were both winners and both of them gave it their all to help the team win, which is why I liked both of them.

There are very few other coaches that could have done the job that they did.

When you have someone in your organization that performs at a high level and delivers results that few other people are able to duplicate, you you don't fire that person because you don't like one little thing about that person.

From a management perspective, if you have an individual in your organization that works hard and produces results, but doesn't give you everything that your looking for, you open up the lines of communication and build on that relationship. That is what a good manager does.

Quite frankly, if you want a first-class organization, you can't continuously let top-performing employees go and expect your organization to be competitive. I understand the sports world is a little bit different, but the principles of the same. In this case, neither Jeff Van Gundy or Rick Adelman were brought back, and good coaches at the NBA level aren't exactly a dime a dozen.

It seems a little childish to me to micromanage at this level. You have to be able to trust the people that you hire to do a good job, especially if you're going to be paying millions of dollars in salary. But if want to micromanage, (and a lot of sports owners are hands-on, and they have every right to be since they are spending tens, if not hundreds of millions of dollars on the franchise) then you have to communicate the things you want.

All Less had to do was say, I want a telephone conference with both Darryl Morey & Rick Adelman twice a month with what's going on with the team.

I find it really odd, that two very good coaches had the exact same issue with the owner.

I know that when Rudy T did not come back as coach, it was communicate in the media that it due to his health. While I am sure there is some truth to that, there were other reports going around that speculated there were other reasons.

I am kind of curious as to what type of communication Rudy T had with Les?

#80 Huricane, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
    3 people like this.