1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justice: McHale should talk to, not iso, Les Alexander

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 7, 2011.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

who on the existing roster would have been an all star? lowry? he played two more minutes a game in march than he did in december

2. Geaux Rockets

Geaux Rockets Member

Tell his side of the story and what he thinks needs fixing, allowing Les to have multiple viewpoints on what is troubling the team. If Morey is in there telling Les what he thinks is wrong with the team and saying things like we would be better if the coach was more receptive to such and such and Adelman is never in there giving the owner any ideas on what HE thinks needs to be changed, how is Les not going to side with Morey? All the info he's getting is one-sided and he can only act on the information he's given. If you're not happy with the status-quo and the only alternative presented to you is a change in coaches, you'll make a change in coaches. Had Adelman gone to Les and told him he thinks that if the Rokcets fix A, B, and C they can be a contender again under him, then it's possible Les would have sided with him. It sounds like that type of dialouge either did not occur at all, or atleast did not happen enough.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. Kevin Martin, perhaps. If they had won more, a player is more likely to garner attention.

2. As I said, All Star is mostly a popularity contest, not a reflection of how good a player is. The Rockets team had talent.

3. Speaking of teams without All Stars: Winning 43 games without an All Star doesn't make you a great coach. In fact, the 1995/96 Lakers won 53 games without an All Star.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/allstar/NBA_1996.html

4. I liked Rick Adelman's performance overall and wasn't happy about him leaving. However, this "winning 43 games without an All Star=great job coaching no-talent team" nonsense needs to stop.

1 person likes this.
  4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

but we know kevin martin isn't an all star player. he has a history, the only way that argument works is if adelman would have played lowry, lowry may have been better and therefore the team would have been better. that's the argument I thought you were going with.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

if this truly is a problem it goes both ways. after jvg, if les believes it is happening again he needs to be more proactive in addressing it.

6. Geaux Rockets

Geaux Rockets Member

Agreed. Les should have made it clear when interviewing candidates that he expected to be kept in the loop and that failing to do so will put a coach on his bad side. It does appear as if he learned from that previous mistake and, for better or for worse, he found a coach that will give him more frequent updates. He's betting on, and Im hoping, that improved communication between the different sectors of the Rockets organization will lead to improved results on the court.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Chronicle and the Rockets . . .sitting in a tree . . ..
    ==============
    ……….(¯`v´¯)
    ………..`•.¸.•´
    ………(●̮̮̃•̃)..(●̮̮̃•̃)
    ……… /█\ ♥/█\
    ==============

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  8. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

That was an interesting and insightful article. It's Richard Justice's one for the year, I guess.

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yeah, pretty much. I enjoyed reading it. My only complaint is that this article might make me more inclined to look at his other articles over the next few months, at which time I will inevitably want to throw something at my computer screen.

I especially liked hearing about the JVG angle. Van Gundy is my personal favorite Rockets coach of all time. I remember being really pissed when he was not retained in 2007 but thinking that Rick Adelman was one of the very few people on the planet I would not get TOO upset about replacing him. (Interestingly enough, Rick Carlisle was another one on my list.)

I do not think this article is "Rockets PR spin" as to its content. However, if I am going to be perfectly honest with myself and the rest of you, I would guess that Justice would have been LESS LIKELY to publish a piece like this IF THE FACTS WERE DIFFERENT and Les was made to look like a meddling fool. That would be troubling. But that's also not the case in this instance.

Again, I think the jist of this article is correct. I think Les Alexander is a great owner. I think that JVG and Adelman could have communicated better.

I also think that Justice and Feigen do tend to avoid being highly critical of Rockets' ownership/management. Much of that is due to ownership and management actually BEING GOOD. But perhaps some of that is the desire to ingratiate themselves to the organization. Still, Jerome Solomon writes plenty of negative pieces about the Rockets. Last time I checked, he still drew a paycheck from the Houston Chronicle.

#49 BimaThug, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  10. delishman

delishman Member

I had no idea Van Gundy came back for a second stint with Yao and Mac. :p

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Fixed. Thanks for catching that.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I had trouble reading that article without thinking of Costanza being called into Steinbrenner's office for an incomprehensible conversation,,,and with annoying laughter to boot. Poor JVG. Alexander probably makes you take of your shoes in his office, too.

13. Chris Jent MVP

you forgot to add:

- rockets are bottom level talent
    - les alexander is slave owner
    - morey used the word "assets"
    - 30 transactions
    - nobody wants to play for the rockets

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

No kidding. Imagine what Adelman could've done with a roster that has an all-star. I bet the western conference finals would've been between the Clippers and the Wolves instead. Man, did Dallas/LA/OKC/Memphis luck out that Adelman was coaching the worthless Rockets and not a real roster.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

this post has no point, the rockets were better than the clippers and timberwolves who had all-stars but not the mavs and thunder who also had all stars?

what's your point

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

What's with the attitude? I agree with your logic of that since Adelman coached an all-star-less team to an average record is so astonishing, he can tell the owner to go screw himself.

Hey man, I'm on your side. The Rockets roster are full of crap. If they didn't have Adelman, their record would surely drop below that of Minnesota and the Clippers. Adelman is absolutely the man.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

whatever, no one is saying that

18. Chris Jent MVP

i'm pretty sure that when he calls them, he is conveying that he wants to talk with them.

should he send a text first asking for permission to call ??? he owns the freaking team.

if your BOSS calls you, you talk to the boss and give him the info he wants, or you get FIRED. that's reality. doesn't matter how much money you make or how important you think you are.

19. Chris Jent MVP

that's exactly what he did. he got a new coach.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the problem is he had a hofer who was willing to stay