1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justice: McHale should talk to, not iso, Les Alexander

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

*http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/7598632.html

Interesting take by Justice on how each of the last two coaches saw their relationship with the owner deteriorate. I don't know if the grind of the season just gets the coach and players into a bunker mentality or not, but it's kind of funny how neither JVG nor Adelman found it useful to keep Alexander in the loop... seems simple enough a task.

richard.justice@chron.com

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/7598632.html#ixzz1OTXc46Pn

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

What a great piece. And sure to spark plenty of outrage for the mere audacity to paint Les in a good light. Let me just get it out before anyone else does, "Richard (in)Justice is just on the Rockets' payroll! Paid spammer!"

Anyways, it seems that coaches, more than most professions in "real life" seem to see themselves as above their "pay grade". As if they don't realize they have a boss, and that it isn't their prerogative to clue him in whenever they please. It is their obligation. Like you said, it certainly seems like a simple task for those of us living in the real world, but it seems to be an ingrained culture in professional sports. Eh, not too hard to break out of. A simple, "YOUR FIRED" would probably give them the hint.

It's refreshing to hear JVG's take on it now, looking back. I can totally see him being that stubborn hardass that he is when dealing with Les. And the reason why I love him is because how intelligent he is, obviously seeing it from a different perspective now. Or, of course he could also just be still on the Rockets' payroll and a paid spammer.

#2 CXbby, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

The reason Rick and Van Gundy didn't have much to say to Les over the phone is probably due to his annoying laughter.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

cool to read. And sucks to read that JVG was potentially just a little communication from staying on

5. rocketfan20

rocketfan20 Contributing Member

I really liked this article. Surprisingly, I haven't seen much written on this topic, and wasn't aware of how either Van Gundy or Adleman had so little communication with Alexander until now.

It seems really strange that people would make so little effort to communicate with their boss. I guess they have big egos that get in the way.

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

I think that is just the way it is in the NBA. Remember, it is not your regular 9-5 office job, it might have just been how it evolved. That doesn't mean it's right though.

7. Chris Jent MVP

only PUPPETS work with the front office.

real Hall Of Fame Coaches™ don't let number crunchers tell them how to do their job !!!1

:p

8. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

"resistance is futile, you will be assimilated." da Borg

the Rockets PR team is working overtime. no one can accuse them of not fully supporting the new coach. the initial support has been impressive.

unfortunately, even if they floated a rumor about Adelman's ax murdering hobby, it can't possibly rehabilitate their thoroughly unremarkable new hire.

9. Chris Jent MVP

not nearly as much as adelman's pr team.

atleast the rockets pr people know where their paycheck is coming from. how do adelman's pr people expect to get paid when their boss is in the unemployment line ???

10. clos4life

clos4life Member

PR spin machine in full working order I see. Nice to see Dick Justice still seems to be in Les' payroll.

11. conquistador#11

What did Lex want? to be the best man at Rick's vows renewal ceremony?
    It's the NBA and coaching is a 24/7 job, just look at the wear and tear on JVG's eyes during the season.
    There is barely time for practice let alone to socialize with that evil laughter. unless you're banging the VP of basketball operations, ala phil, then I guess it's ok to share information the morning after.

12. woket

woket Member

Good read. Makes sense to ensure the big boss gets the same memo/report that the others receive.

13. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

I can't speak for Les, but if I owned my own freaking NBA team, I'd want to know what my coach is doing. Otherwise, what's the point of owning a team? Just so you can get free box seats to all home games? It's one thing if Les said he wants to tell a coach how he should coach the team. But what's so bad about just doing some talking.

Maybe it's just because I once worked at a small company where I worked directly under the owner. So I can see an owner's need for continous open dialogue, even if it's just boring weekly reports.

1 person likes this.
  15. Raven

Raven Member

OK, whatever, K-Mac knows how to rub elbows or he wouldn't have lasted so long in Minny.

And I'm really looking forward to the draft, because whatever the Rockets do will tell us more about their plans than anything that they say or their shills say.

16. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

The only PR that spoke for Adelman was JOB PERFORMANCE. Being he has the highest winning% in franchise history, not sure why you'd need a PR team to spin that:rolleyes:

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If that is the way Les works then he needs to convey that to his employees.

DD

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

He's not saying tell him everything right away. What Les is wondering is why does he have to ask for information at all. NBA players don't have games everyday, and head coaches have tons of assistants to help him with the heavy load.

You're being stupid, as an owner and the one footing the bill he deserves every single bit of information he wants. What kind of owner would pay 45-65M a year but be kept in the dark by his own coach? The way the article was written RA and JVG actually took offense from Alexander's questions, which is just plain ridiculous. That's like having a barber who won't tell you how he plans to cut your hair.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

he only had that winning percentage because DM traded his pet boy brooks. Prior to that trade we were actually 5 games below 0.500. Spin that :rolleyes:

20. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Can we ban Richard Justice articles sort of like Hoopsworld articles?