1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ike Taylor=Me player!!! Texans stay away!!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by robroy77, May 18, 2011.

1. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

Taylor was just on Rome is burning, and lets just say he is all about himself. First, he called Jim Rome "Jay" 3 times. Kinda funny, but sad. Then he flat out told Jim that Pittsburgh isnt getting a hometown discount. Its hard to imagine any player coming out on National TV and saying that. What if it comes down to him having to take a hometown discount. Second, he said that he wasnt highlighted by the team by a PR department, and blames his lack of respect on fans and the media. And last he made a comment that "HE" not Pittsburgh has more Super Bowl wins than alot of organizations. Just didnt come off good, and I cant imagine him impressing McNair!! Starting to think Jennings from Cinci is the most likley option.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure "Jay" is more like J. His name is Jim after all.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

And is the same child who kept calling Jim Everett "Chris" until Everett finally kicked his ass.

4. msn

msn Member

thank goodness 790 kicked the "monsters of the midday" drivel fest to the curb; there is finally something worth listening to in the midday. rome is just awful.

5. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

All I can remember watching Steelers games last season was that the commentators would always say how much the coaches love Taylor in Pittsburgh. But that's probably easy sentiment to earn playing opposite Bryant McFadden.

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Do you mean Jonathan Joseph from the Bengals, because then the irony of your indignation about Taylor calling Jim Rome "Jay" is quite tasty......

7. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

lol.. was thinking the same thing

8. Major

Major Member

Lots of players say that, though really, you hear more about it in the NBA and MLB. I'd say 90+% of players take the largest contract offer, which by definition means they weren't taking a hometown discount.

How does anyone HAVE to take a hometown discount? That would imply he was forced to sign with Pittsburgh for less than whatever some other team offers him, which isn't physically possible.

9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I had a suspicion about the guy, looked it up and saw it was true. Taylor was a 4th round pick, which in the NFL means a) he hasn't been paid yet and b) probably has a chip on his shoulder.

He's exactly the type of player who I understand acting me-first. He's been a successful starter for a great team who hasn't been suitably compensated yet. His team has bigger names and higher draft picks to promote meaning he's probably fallen by the wayside.

In terms of the Steelers their promotions go 1) the team 2) Rothlisberger/other major stars 3) everyone else. He's just pointing out that he's tired of being the 3rd tier. I can't blame him for wanting more respect.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Sounds exactly like the type of guy the Texans usually overpay for. Hopefully his antics will sway them elsewhere.

11. Major

Major Member

What similar players have the Texans overpaid for?

12. blackistan

blackistan Member

ill take him over who we have anyday

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

anthony weaver.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, I would hate to see the Texans sign a guy who might actually play with a chip on his shoulder...

15. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

What is this show that is worth listening to? Surely, you aren't talking about the Mighty Gwinn. . .

16. msn

msn Member

gwinn is an idiot. the guy after him is decent, though.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

matt thomas. that's a nice alternative in the mid-day. matt seems like a good guy.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Matt is a good guy, just a little boring.

Although he lets the listeners drive his show, which I am in favor of, since he isn't a super strong personality.

Gwinn, on the other hand, needs to STFU and GTFO.

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Where are you getting this from?

Ike Taylor has been in the league since 2003. He signed a 5 year, $23 million deal in 2006. He's been paid before. He just wants to be paid again. I don't put much stock in the OP's sentiments. It comes off as a third-party translation and not very objective; I didn't see the interview, but I'm guessing it could be interpreted many different ways.

Personally, I'm wary of throwing a big contract at a guy who is 31 and never even made a pro bowl. He's benefited from a team that always has a good front seven, and also has had guys like Ryan Clark and Polamalu in the secondary with him. He won't have that same supporting cast here, so I fear that we might end up paying an average at best corner top dollar. But, we are so desperate at the position that it doesn't matter -- we have to do something.

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Jacque Reeves. Although, ironically: Not Dunta Robinson.

That's why Asomugha is so tantlizing: He is the real deal, a guy that will very likely thrive no matter where he goes. But guys like Taylor, Reeves, Robinson... now you're talking about decent players that played in great systems (well, not Robinson) and never paticualrly stood out, which should be concerning when you're thinking about writing them a very large check.