1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Clyde for Hakeem- the trade that didnt happen...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HorryForThree, Apr 20, 2011.

1. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Paul Allen, owner of the Trail Blazers, is writing his life story in a book entitled Idea Man. Apparently, Allen had the chance at some point to trade Clyde for Hakeem and decided not to pull the trigger:

Thought posters here might find it interesting....

2. SacTown

SacTown Member

interesting if true

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I actually find the anecdote about Gates and Ballmer trying to cut him out of Microsoft a little more interesting. I'm sure there are TONS of deals like the Clyde for Hakeem swap that are discussed amongst owners, if not just for sh!ts and giggles. Us fans are only privy to what the media is able to pry from the owners in interviews.

4. Asian Sensation

In 1982 Clyde Drexler and Hakeem were both Cougars. I wonder what year this trade actually didn't go down.

5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

The deal you always hear about is Clyde for Ralph and the #2 pick, which the Rockets would have used to draft Jordan. The Blazers just wanted Sam Bowie too bad to pull the trigger, hah.

6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

The damn Portland fans should pull the trigger on Allen

7. blackistan

blackistan Member

wow that would've been crazy

8. Convictedstupid

This.

I've never heard of a deal that would have swapped Dream for Clyde. Interesting if true..

9. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

yep I caught that too, I saw 1982 and I thought, they were both in college, but the article doesnt specify at what year he turned down the deal.

10. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I read a Biography of Hakeem on this way back in the day.

The Rockets drafted Hakeem and told him that they planned on trading him because Portland really wanted a center.

It was actually Portland offered the Rockets:
    2nd pick + Drexler for the Rockets choice of Hakeem or Ralph Sampson.

Obviously at the time Ralph Sampson was ridiculously good, but the I believe book said the Rockets thought through the deal and decided to pass on it, but I could be wrong on that.

Anyways it would've been Drexler, Jordan, and Ralph Sampson, BUT it could've been Drexler, Jordan, and Hakeem.

Had that happened, I believe Jordan would've been hindered seeing how him and Drexler play the same position and Drexler was already very good in the NBA, Jordan would've been the 6th man.

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The Drexler + #2 deal is a separate deal. Allen bought the Blazers in 1988 so it probably was a different deal altogether. IIRC Olajuwon and the Rockets FO had some differences--to say the least--in the late 80s and early 80s where Olajuwon was being shopped around.

12. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

FWIW, I don't think the Rockets would have made the 1986 Finals without both Ralph and Hakeem, even if they had Jordan and Drexler.