1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeAndre, Dalembert or Chandler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Apr 15, 2011.

1. tomato

tomato Member

I smoked so much weed tonight.

1 person likes this.
  2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

who is least of a liability on offense?

if even rick leaves we need 5 scorers on the floor all of the time

3. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

My 1st choice is Gasol. But out of the 3 options from the OP. I am going to have to go with Dalembert.

• DeAndre has only had 1 good season to warrant attention. There is a huge risk with questions like - will he be able to improve from here on in? - Will he be able to adapt to a new system?
    • Chandler is too damn injury prone. Not worth the risk for the type of money he will be asking.
    • Dalembert has shown improvement in his offensive game this season. And he already has a good defensive game.

I think Dalembert could be had for 5 year $40-45 mill type of deal.

1 person likes this.
  4. kingjosh

kingjosh Member

The problem about that source is that it is coming from a Nba player Agent, possibly the last person you would ask for a non-inflated value. Futhermore the comparisons to Joakim Noah and Bynum are both flawed as both vastly superior players, as was (im pretty sure) a 22 y.o Chandler.

In my opinion, Deandre is probally worth no more than the MLE, but a team would have to pay 7-8+ million before the clippers would let him go.

5. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

what is Gasol's status? UFA or RFA?

6. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

Rfa.... :(

7. ILoveTheRockets

I would take Dalembert.

vet, good shot blocking, can score better than hayes, has the height to start and has been a under rated defender for most of his career.

as for as youth, you have to go with Deandre...Houston native, got size, can d up, get you some highlight dunks here and there.

8. worzel gummidge

http://www.acb.com/redaccion.php?id=75202
    http://translate.google.com/
    April 5, 2011

http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2011/04/nba-teams-interested-in-stanko-barac.html

9. Raven

Raven Member

His next contract will be so huge, it's going to make Baby Jesus cry.

10. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

It all depends on the contract paid to each.

11. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

If we had completed the Chandler trade, we would be preparing to play OKC right now...go get Chandler. Although, I agree, that Cuban would probably never let him go. Sammy is a nice defensive player who will surprise you with his O from time to time but if Adelman sticks around, don't see him fitting in with the offense. Jordan is the wild card, how much does he want/get in the open market will be a big question.

If the Rockets want to rebuild then I'd look at Jordan however if they think a center puts in the playoffs and may attract another star down the road...Chandler it is.

12. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

You forgot a few things in your calculation to get to $12M in cap space. Assuming the next CBA is close to the current and does not have a hard cap....

* They'd have to fully renounce Yao. And not re-sign him at any price.
    * You need to deduct ~$2M for the #14 pick.
    * Picking up the option on both Dragic and Budinger is $3M.
    * With all of the above moves, and eliminating the players you mentioned as "expendable" the roster stands at 11. You can spend what's left on 1 player or 4.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Is it possible for players to sign new contracts/extensions before the current CBA expires, or has that time passed?

14. GATER

It depends on the type (rookie, previously extended, FA, etc) and how many years the new contract would be for (generally would need to be >4).

But if owners are trying to get salary concessions because they feel payrolls are too high...why would they offer a contract? And if a player felt he could make more in the next CBA, why would he sign one?

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

To be precise:
    http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/rockets.jsp

1. Budinger is guaranteed at about $900K already. Dragic has a team option.

2. Assuming Dragic comes back, the total salary is about $48 mil for 11 guys.

3. Minimum roster size is 13, max is 15. As such, assuming you have those 11 guys plus whoever the new C is, we are talking about at least 1 more guy and at most 3 more. So, that's at another $500K or so in "roster hold."

4. The draft pick(s) will cost money, but might be traded either for a player or future picks. You can even use one of them to dump salary.

Anyhow, the bottom line is that they have $46 mil committed to 10 guys right now. $2 mil for Dragic is probably a no-brainer. So we are talking $48 mil for 11 guys+ another $500K-$800K for an extra guy making minimum dollars on the roster (that guy may be Yao Ming-- remember only a portion of the vet mim is paid by teams and hit the cap).

Under current rules, this would give them some cap room, but likely not enough to both re-sign Hayes, sign the draft picks and to make a big enough offer for either Chandler or Jordan. They'll need to clear out some cap room and the most likely target are Williams, Thabeet and Miller.

16. GATER

That was my point. We are both sharp enough to see the small details. I was just wanting to put qualifiers on the $12M so we didn't have a summer of endless/pointless threads about signing players well out of reach. :grin:

17. Damion Laverne

18. rocketfan20

rocketfan20 Contributing Member

You make good points, but who else would you prefer? The Rockets need a shotblocker to protect the paint.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Maybe gifting the Grizzlies Battier was a wink wink pre agreement to get them to SnT Gasol to us in the offseason :)

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I agree with jmwilliamson. I have seen nothing remotely close to basketball iq from Deandre Jordan. The hometown aspect, maybe if he would be willing to sign for less than market value and we could trade Thabeet for him, maybe it would be worth the risk. But to do a massive S&T of $10+ per season, and yes it would require a S&T since we do not have that kind of capspace, which means we would have to be sending out assets, is not worth it to me. I would be absolutely shocked/floored if Morey worked a S&T deal with the Clips for Jordan and paid him double digit millions per year.

I'd rather go after Przybilla with the MLE. I'd rather try to get Camby in a trade. I'd rather outright sign Fesenko for about $12 million over 4 years. I'd rather trade for Brandon Haywood if we could get him for Battier's TPE. I'd rather sign Ajinca for a minimum salary deal and work on making other trades down the line than to do a S&T for Jordan that ate up our capspace and took away some of our assets. I'd rather trade Hill and Thabeet for Boris Diaw or work a S&T with Charlotte for Przybilla sending them Thabeet for a freshly signed Przybilla.

Now, if Dallas would agree to S&T Chandler to us for Battier money for 3 years or so, I'd do that and send them back Hill and/or Thabeet plus a future pick.

Dally??? Yes, great physical tools. Dummer than dirt. You'd have to play all around him and use him as simply a bailout provision on offense. He's not smart enough to grasp a passing offense. All he knows how to do is just play, just get out there and run around, stay in the paint area, switch off, and help defend, which he has great natural instincts for, but he doesn't know where to go offensively besides to run a pick and roll. Perhaps he might work. if he could be signed for the right price. If we could get him for about $20 million over 4 years, he would probably be worth it. But once again, not double digit millions per year.