1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Old Dick Justice article on Alexander, Adelman, Van Gundy and Morey in 2007

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I came across this while searching for the recent Justice article... think it's interesting to look back. The highlights are mine.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/4808202.html

My thoughts:

1. Justice turned out to be mostly correct. With comparable level of talent, Adelman and Van Gundy achieved comparable results.

2. Van Gundy's lack of confidence in Morey turned out not to be justified. It seems that Van Gundy has changed his mind on Morey's abilities (given that Van Gundy goest to speak at Morey's geek conference an all).

3. While it's good to demand excellence, Alexander's unreasonable demand on his coach is not productive. He screwed up his relationship with Van Gundy, was good and lucky enough to have Adelman as a replacement, and I think has now screwed up with Adelman. I can only hope they make a wise (and lucky) choice on a new coach again and get a good one instead of a Eric Musselman (who got a DUI in Sactown before his first season started and didn't do much better since).

4. It seems Les Alexander has not changed or learned anything from 4 years ago. I think it's because Adelman has done a good job and Les didn't have to suffer through a real disaster. Maybe Les needs to experience some dark times in order to learn.

5. Coaches, especially good NBA coaches, have egos like any "stars" of their profession. You don't just treat them like expendable employees. Inside Adelman's Willy Loman appearance lurks the heart of Diana Ross.

1 person likes this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Seems like both JVG and Adelman have ZERO respect for Morey.

Morey has been trying all he can to find good players but Rick refused to go away from his trusted few.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

How many fans miss JVG?

I hear the same thing now(though moreso from fans).

Rick got the most from a flawed roster. No other coach that comes in after Rick could get/would have gotten more from the Rockets than Rick did in his tenure.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

All coaches privately want a puppet GM that makes their wants happen.

When you have an independent GM like Morey, who'll listen to the coaches but shape the roster as he sees fit, it almost always creates an ego battle on some level.

I think it's clear that Adelman loathed some of the moves Morey made this year and that he is unhappy that he doesn't have a real say in them.

5. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

"But virtually no one inside the organization believes another coach would have gotten more from the Rockets than Van Gundy did during four years on the job. "

This is a ridiculous statement.

What did JVG get? First round exits with two superstars?
    No one could do worse than JVG.

The JVG hiring was a disaster for Les.

6. Carl Herrera

I miss JVG. Though with JVG being on ESPN all the time it does ease the pain somewhat.

And given the numerous "bring back JVG if Adelman goes" responses recently, many others miss JVG, too.

As for "getting more from the roster," Adelman got the same from the 07/08 roster as JVG did from the 06/07 roster. Without significant alterations, I doubt a coach can get more out of the current roster than what Adelman got out of them, particularly since the trade deadline.

7. PeppermintCandy

That article makes it seem like the Rockets wanted to re-sign van Gundy. But from what I remember, JVG wanted to return while Les didn't want him back.

Anyway, Les Alexander does seem to create needless drama regarding his coaches. Maybe he doesn't realize how lucky he's been to obtain the services of two top-notch coaches in a row, three counting Rudy T.

8. gah

gah Member

I didn't want JVG to be let go. When JVG was hired I couldn't be more happier even if we had signed a Larry Brown or the very same Adelman.

However, JVG's dismissal was a little bit more justified because of the two disheartening playoff losess to Utah, (not to mention the good for nothing Dallas effort) Adelman has always exceeded expectations (this year being the lesser example) and given no hint of why he should be replaced.

I just hope this whole thing doesn't backfire on us, in this Russian roulette game we would be firing two top caliber coaches, I hope the bullet of doom is not next yet.

9. choujie

choujie Member

I do miss JVG. He and RA are both great coaches. They both have flaws, but they both get the most of their team.

10. choujie

choujie Member

Err, JVG lost one Utah series and RA lost the other?

11. choujie

choujie Member

Les is an owner who wants to win but doesn't support coaches and GMs enough.

12. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

Head Coach: Rick Adelman
    Assistant Coach: Jeff Van Gundy

If only..

13. da_juice

da_juice Member

I think it's his winning drive that hurts the team the most, he has a win now mindset, ethier we're winning rings or the whole thing needs to be blown up. He's not patient enough to wait to win, look how long it took the Olujawon era Rockets to get it going(ignoring the magical run in '86)?

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You're missing a point. We got Olujawon BECAUSE we blew it up.

Look at Chicago. They blew it up and got Derrick Rose. Do you think we're going to get a Superstar by being the best lotto team that can't make the playoffs?

15. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

I find it interesting (and distressing at the same time) that history has repeated itself ... by that I mean - "nobody would have gotten better out of what the rockets had to offer". Is this a cliche that is just following this team around now??? Is it a product of our mediocrity? Is it just bad luck? Is it something about the city of Houston (which, besides the traffic, I love).

16. VBG

VBG Member

But Adelman did get us out of the first round...

17. Carl Herrera

That was the pre-lotto era, when you can actually guarantee getting a first pick by having the worst record.

Chicago roster 2007: http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/2007.html
    Chicago roster 2008: http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2008.html

Which players did they jettison when they "blew it up" between these two years?

And how many games did they win after the blow-up? What were their odds of getting the top pick (and thus D. Rose)?

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/2008-nba-draft-lottery-odds-42351

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of people tend to forget this. With a somewhat healthy Yao, but no McGrady and losing Deke early in the series, he got us past a tough Portland team. Missing Yao for half the series he took the eventual champions to 7 games with a few blowout victories. Adelman did take us to the next level but wasn't able to get to the level after that.

Lets not forget also that even in the two seasons we haven't made the playoffs we have gotten within a few games without any superstar.

19. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Chicago didn't blow anything up. They were stuck with a mediocre roster, good enough to squeak into the playoffs or just miss it--similar to the Rockets. They lucked out in the lottery and got Derrick Rose. They had something like a 1% chance to get the top pick. Call it conspiracy, call it luck, whatever, but what you cannot call it, is that Chicago blew it up/tanked to get a superstar.

20. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

If you're trying to diminish Rick Adelman's accomplishments here because he had a superstar player, tell that to every HOF coach out there. No team can succeed without a good coach and no good coach can succeed without a good team.