1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Bismack Biyombo

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by aicedo, Apr 7, 2011.

Tags:
  1. aicedo

aicedo Member

I don't have much info on this guy but i saw these vids and was like :eek:
    Wondering what was everyones take and if yall have some more info on this guy

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nmndi2b-G5s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nmndi2b-G5s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O2QFlV3Xn18?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O2QFlV3Xn18?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

FIRST...

to say "wrong forum".

3. aicedo

aicedo Member

my bad I forgot I was in the garm

4. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Many scouts have him pegged as the next Serge Ibaka. From what I've heard and read, is his looked great at the hoop summit practices. Blocking shots altering shots, rebounding and just being a complete menace on the defensive end, both in half court and transition.

Also he measured 6'9 with a monstrous 7'7 wingspan and 9'3 standing reach...

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

DraftExpress is all over him at the Nike Hoops Summit today. Sounds like he is dominating the Internationals. Sounds good.

6. HorneR

HorneR Member

Anyone know how old he is?

Wouldn't mind nabbing him with our late first, but he'll probably move up into mid-first if he keeps impressing like he is.

7. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

He is born 1992, only 18. He has A LOT of time for improvement.

Too bad we don't need him, he is a PF in NBA. Although his freakish wingspan would make him a monster on the defensive end and an above average finisher on the offensive end.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

YES PLEASE!

(I will be very surprised If he lasts to 14)

For anyone that hasn't watched him, HE IS A CENTER IN THE NBA.

9. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Such a manly name

10. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

On the name alone, I say hell yes.

11. aicedo

aicedo Member

From the vids, you can obviously see he has ability to block shots, set some screens, finish at the rim, along with some nice post game, and he did hit one shot from the perimeter that didn't look like it was luck. I sure wish the Rockets get this guy with the 14th pick. Although the last guy we picked to be an immediate impact on the defensive end ended up getting hammered in Mexico, I think this guy is just what we need.

12. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

This. Yeah, I just took a look and DX has gushed four tweets about him today and one yesterday.

And yes he can play center in the NBA, it's rare to find a 7ft plus guy who can effectively play center in the NBA, and there are more 6-10, 6-11 guys who are coordinated and play now.

Put it this way, these are his measurements compared to starting NBA centers who lead the league in blocks, when they first came into the league:

Standing reach:

Dwight Howard 9'3.5
    Andrew Bogut 9'2.5
    JaVale Mcgee 9'6.5
    Andrew Bynum 9'4
    Bismack Biyombo 9'3

Now, I'm not saying he will be anywhere the player those guys above are, but I do think he is an instant shot-blocker. He is the smallest of those guys (he's 6'8, 6'9 with shoes) but when you have a 7'7 wingspan your are pretty much similar to a 6'11 player with a 7ft -7'1 wingspan (kind of like how Patterson is a shot-blocker at 6'8 without shoes) with better lateral movement due to shorter legs.

The key to remember is that he's only 18 and could possibly grow and inch or two while filling out his frame.

What I like from those videos is how tough he looks and active he is defensively (watch tape of Omer Asik to see what I mean, competitive intensity, work ethic and heart mean a lot.) He athleticism already looks like a twenty something college player. His offense will be limited, but he will be good defender for us if we draft him.

I think he already gained 5 lbs and is 245 now, he'll probably be 250 by the time he joins a team making him a little closer to NBA ready physically.

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

GET THAT BISMACK OUTTA HERE.

BIYOMBO WITH THE BISMACKDOWN.

Can you imagine how much better college basketball would have been this year with this guy and Gus Johnson calling his games? At least like 1000x.

14. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Draft this guy and don't look back.

15. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

4.3% height improvement over the Chuckwagon, sounds good to me.

16. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I like this tweets from Jonathan Givony of Draftexpress on Bismack Biyombo:

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Bismack-Biyombo-5902/#ixzz1Isk3LbsD

The kid sound super agressive, love it!:grin:

17. Htown's2kFinest

Doesn't Joel Anthony have like a big ass wingspan too. He is also 6'9 and can block shots.

But IDC how long his arms are. 6'9 is still too short for a center and even more so with our current front line.

18. Roxs-Redemption

His shot-blocking skill is what we need for Defense....could be a nice draft pick for the 14th

19. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Great points -- and don't forget, Dream was listed as 7 feet, but he was really a little over 6'10".

This guy moves and jumps so fluidly. Watch him block shots he's like a predator hunting the ball. I think he has more offensive potential than a guy like Serge Ibaka.

With the depth this team has, I'd be happy with the Rockets drafting this guy at 14 even if he doesn't play for the team for a year or two.

20. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Joel Anthony has a 7'3.75 wingspan and doesn't have the motor nor the drive and the hustle this kid does, so bad comparison. Another guy who's closer to 6'9 then 6'10 that has had great success at the center spot is Kedrick Perkins, who uses his 7'4 wingspan to alter shots, and brute strength to defend in the low post.

Also your forgetting that his still 18yrs old! His not done growing yet. Who could potentially tap out at 6'10 or 6'11(w/shoes) with a 7'8 wingspan for all we know....