1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lord of the Rings

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drexlerfan22, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Now I'm sure all you Tolkien fanatics have already seen this trailer, but I'll post it again anyway. The "full-screen" option is a 40 meg, high-quality version, so if you saw the small, choppy one, you should download this if your computer is fast enough:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/the_two_towers/

Only 67 days to go! Gotta read the books again.

2. Nomar

Nomar Member

Thanks for the link drex.

Stay strong. ;)

3. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

This is going to be one helluva movie, judging by the trailer. To be honest, I haven't been this hyped about a movie in ages.

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I cant wait till this movie comes out either. I never read any of the books, but I rather watch the movie not know whats going to happen anyways.

This movie and T3. Probably should be the best two movies to come out for the next couple of years.

#4 R0ckets03, Oct 13, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2002
  5. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i read al three of the books, and i loved "two towers"i thought it was the best of them all, i can't wait to see this movie.:D

6. Drexlerfan22

There's one scene I really can't wait to see...

Saruman wakes up, rubs his eyes, walks out to a balcony in his tower, then looks down. He looks confused, then says, "What the hell?! Didn't I cut down all those trees?" And then...

Well, I won't spoil anything :D.

7. arno_ed

i agree, and there are 2 mroe,but i won't tell anything because it will spoile alot.But i think drexlerfan will know wich two i am talking about.
    one is in Rohan,
    and the other is before that.

8. Nikos

Nikos Member

How good is FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING...I use to read these books when I was a kid but I don't remember them too well. Is this movie a GREAT movie if you don't have any NOVEL adaptation expectations attached to it?

9. Drexlerfan22

Hey, I'm a huge fan of the books, and even with high expectations, I still came away from that movie amazed. Fellowship of the Ring is the only movie I've gone to see multiple times in the theatre (I saw it five times). I could be really nitpicky about the story, but overall it's one of my favorite movies ever, period. It helps that Peter Jackson (the director) was a huge fan of the books. New Line Cinema told him The Fellowship couldn't exceed 3 hours; he made it 2 hrs, 58 min, and is releasing a version in November that is 3 1/2 hours. Gotta love it.

One thing I didn't know that I found out on the official site is that Christopher Lee (Saruman) is actually such a fanatic about the books that he rereads them every year. Wow. I'm becoming convinced that for every 2 Trekkies, there is at least 1 Tolkien fanatic.

10. getsmartnow

Christopher Lee was also the only cast/crew member to have met Tolkien in person before.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I can't wait, the 2nd one will be better then the first.

DD

12. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

yeah it was a good movie even though I had never read the books. although after watching the fellowship I had to read the Two Towers... that book is awesome. although too bad one of the cooler moments of the book will be moved to the third movie.

13. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

****MAY BE SPOILERS TO THOSE WHO HAVEN'T READ THE TWO TOWERS****

Hell Yes! I still have about 3 chapters left in the Two Towers. And while I'm reading I'm thinking to myself...this movie is going to be impossible to make! And I thought that for two reasons...Gollum and the Ents. It's going to be really interesting to see how they bring those characters to the screen.

14. Drexlerfan22

Well, in the trailer it shows both those characters. You can see the ent picking up one of the Hobbits in the last 30 seconds or so... and they show quite a bit of Gollum.

15. arno_ed

i saw them to they were great, they can do alot with the computer.
    i read al the books, and i thought it was great verry similar to the books, a few things where left out, but i already thought they weren't very important.and there are a few conversations in "the feloship"where they are refering to a later book.
    like:
    Orc: Sarumon the trees run deep here.
    Sarumon: pull them al out.
    it wa a great movie, especialy when you already read the books.

16. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I can't wait for december ..this looks better then I could have ever hoped for.. When I first heard they were making these I thought hollywood would ruin it.

I have the entire Silmarillion on Mp3's .. Haven't listened to it yet but that should keep me until dec.

17. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yeah, I saw it Friday, but I didn't see enough to say whether it worked or not. I have bad memories of another computer-animated character called Jar Jar Binks, I just hope they do a better job with Gollum. He's definitely one of the best characters in the book. I also wonder whether they're going to split the movie completely into two parts like the book does, or whether they'll go back and forth between the two seperate story lines throughout then entire movie. I think this is by far the most ambitious movie project of all time.

18. getsmartnow

I have a feeling that Gollum will kick Jar Jar's little ass! They are two totally different characters, Gollum is twisted, evil, and mysterious. Jar Jar is just an annoying little worm.

I think they'll go back and forth between the two story lines. Book 3 (Start of TTT) is immediately after FOTR. Book 4 starts 3 days after Frodo and Sam leave the fellowship. Plus the last event in the book has been moved to the third movie.

BTW....a few months ago there was a photo of Treebeard circulating the Internet. It was the official toy, not an 'actual' CGI movie photo of Treebeard (If you know what I mean). Anyway, if anyone would like to see it, I saved it to my hard drive. E-Mail me at: getsmartnow@hotmail.com

Oh, and it looks weird, but you have to remember that it is a toy, and the photo isn't the best.

19. arno_ed

i think so too.i'm looking forward to the moment aragorn meet the white rider, and when they meet the king of rohan.

i saw this trailer just now, but i already saw a other trailer. i think it is les but a nice one,i don't know wich site i saw it,but i have it on my computer.if anybody wants it,and have icq let me know, i will send it to him
    arno_ed@hotmail.com.

20. Nomar

Nomar Member

Also, we get to see an oliphaunt. ;)

Just some more analysis.

Also, the audio is really choppy on my quicktime. Why is that?