1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Stephen Curry an upgrade over Aaron Brooks?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by jopatmc, Jun 10, 2009.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I am convinced that Redick would have been our Jeff Hornacek, just as much today as I was when he was drafted. We went another direction and got Battier. I'm fine with that. But if you had put Redick in the lineup with a healthy McGrady and Yao, he would have gotten many looks.

Stephen Curry is slightly different from Redick in that he can create his own shot even more. He is quicker and faster than Redick.............and dare I say.........his release is even quicker than Redick's. I question overall whether he is a better shooter than Redick. I think if you lined them up in a game of horse, Redick may take him. But in the NBA, it's about if you can get the shot off fast enough against rotating D's and can you shoot at a high percentage with that quick release. Curry's quick release reminds me so much of Abdul-Rauf. If you watched Abdul-Rauf, aka Chris Jackson, play in the NBA, you will see a player that could get his shot off with a bigger defender defending him in his face, because he could release it so quickly. Abdul-Rauf's career took a nosedive because he became too involved in religion and lost his drive. I don't see that with Curry. This is a guy that has been raised with a silver spoon in his mouth and he still has the work ethic to become a serious baller. He's got great vision, he knows how to get open. I think he is going to present NBA defenses serious problems with his skill set.

Elephant810 likes this.
  2. Super Von

Super Von Member

Rubio, Lawson or Curry would be an upgrade.

3. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Redick wouldn't have gotten time here for the same reason he's been best friends with the ball boys in Orlando. He can't D up.

Also, I don't see how his looks at the bucket would be any different from the looks he's getting in Orlando where the offense is designed to get quality three-point shots.

Curry would be a good addition, I agree. What I'm wary about is what it would cost to get him. In my opinion, at his current value, he isn't worth it. I don't think he's so good that his lack of size won't hinder his play as a pro. I guess we're just going to have to wait and see. If we do get him, hopefully we trade one of our little guys. We can't have a might mouse fan club as our guard rotation right?

4. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

Curry is definitely an upgrade. He will win RotY.

5. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Lets get off the Curry bandwagon.

6. ralphacy

ralphacy Member

Its been just 2 seasons, lets not give up on Brooks already. It would be nice to get Curry but not at the price of Brooks. Damn it, lets both have them.

7. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Really. People get caught up in the hype too much. He's not going to be able to shoot freely like he did in college once he gets in the league. He's a decent passer, but his mindset is scoring first and foremost, which is highlights his physical shortcomings even more.

8. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

If he can handle the ball at the PG spot in the NBA and shoot like he does in college then yes he would be an upgrade over AB. He's already a better playmaker and passing than Brooks is and he's taller than him too.

9. yobod

yobod Member

He's not as quick and Brooks has proven he can hit the NBA three. The difference is Brooks played PG in college. I don't remember the last college 2-guard that became a great PG in the NBA. I could be wrong.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Wow. No chance. He's shorter than Redick and Morrison, and really only moderately quicker. I posted this in another thread, but just look at his molasses-like father Del. I am really feeling one of those overhyped doomed sort of things.

At least Redick faced great college defenders most nights.

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

Did someone just say Redick would have been effective here with the Rockets?

LOL!!!!!!! The guy is the worst player ever to play in the playoffs missing wide open looks and playing horrific defense. He doesn't even belong in the NBA!!!

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Redick? Gibson? Richard Hamilton? These comparisons are wayyy off base. Redick was only an exceptional scorer his senior year. All the other years he was around a 40% shooter. Gibson scored 14 ppg his best year on 40%. And the biggest difference is all these guys can do is run around screens. Because they are shooters and nothing else.

Whoever compared Curry to Sam Cassell is spot on. They may not be the quickest or most athletic but they are crafty enough to get to their spots. And most importantly, they are pure scorers as opposed to shooters.

For those who say Curry is barely quicker than Redick, well thats not exactly accurate, but even so, Nash isn't so much quicker than Redick either. What separates them is HANDLES. If you have a good handle you can be crafty and get by your man. Curry has this. He was the full time PG last year. Can you imagine Redick running point?

Curry shoots mid 50% from 2 point. He shoots almost 8 FTs per game. Redick and Gibson shot ~40%. This shows Curry is a great scorer in addition to being a great shooter. He will go top 5 in the draft and end up either the second or third best player depending on how Rubio pans out. He has a shot of being better than Cassel and Bibby. He is the perfect PG for Adelman and we would be lucky to have him.

Oh and Aaron Brooks, he was a 40% shooter in college until his senior year. And in his best year he averaged less assists than Curry did this year, even though Curry is supposed to be some sort of undersized SG. I'm not sure what the infatuation is with a 5'10 SG who shoots 40% from the field, shoots worse than Rafer from 3PT, and is turning 25 years old this year. Because he had two good games against the Lakers when he had to take all the shots because our top 2 players were both out? I mean I like the guy and I like him as a player but he is mediocre at best and isn't even young!

Curry will be a perennial allstar.

1 person likes this.
  13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

So we're going to compare stats for a guy who regularly lost to College of Charleston and The Citadel (WTF?) to the stats for a guy who regularly played the PAC10 when UCLA was headed to the final four every year?

M'kay. I hope Curry will be perennial allstar, because I like watching him play and he seems like a decent kid, but if I were betting money... I'd have to say it's extremely unlikely.

14. CXbby

CXbby Member

That speaks more about the caliber of their teammates. Curry regularly had 2-3 defenders swarming at him because his teammates couldn't make them pay. One team actually forfeited the game just to hold him to 0. The fact that he still shot so efficiently is what makes me think he will excel at the next level.

No matter what type of competition he was playing against, I think we can agree that the type of shots he takes, the level of difficulty, is spectacular. And he makes them efficiently.

A perennial allstar maybe a little ahead of myself, but he will be on another level from the likes of Redick, Gibson, and even Brooks.

15. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't seen Curry much play much, but from what I've seen his release is EXTREMELY quick. I'm not sure if he'll be too effective as a SG, but I think he'll do wonders as a PG. Offensively, he will be a beast. He can get his shot off any time and he is a pretty good passer as well. Bob Knight actually called him "one of the best passers to ever play college basketball". This is a strong statement coming from a guy that's been around college bball forever. Anyway, I think that he may struggle a bit on the defensive side, but I believe his game can translate if he plays PG as opposed to SG. Even as an SG, he may still be adequate. Remember, Dale Ellis was pretty short and slow by SG standards, but his quick release and accuracy gave him a chance in the NBA.

16. basketballholic

Last night's game was an epic battle between Curry and Rubio with Rubio and his band of kids and mediocre vets almost pulling it out against Curry and his top 2 team in the NBA.

I fully expect these two guys will have many, many more epic court confrontations over the next 5-10 years. I would love to see those battles played out with Rubio in Rocket red but if Flip is smart he'll keep Rubio and Wiggins and add to them by drafting well and then when a player like Ibaka becomes available use Rubio to help recruit him to Minnesota.

Minnesota looks like garbage right now but realistically they'll be playoff ready after next season and will bea pain to deal with going forward if they can hold everybody together long-term and add just 1 quality free agent signing.

17. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Man this thread..........................

18. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Comical reading all the previous posts..you can tell who watched college basketball and who didn't. I'm not one of those who saw much of curry in college, I saw highlights which looked good but I wouldn't have predicted what he's become.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Bballholic: Rubio and Curry in 1 sentence.

Where are the Warriors and where are the Wolves.....

20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I wiffed bad on this one.

(At the time, Daniel Gibson had rising value in the actual NBA, so wasnt saying Curry would be a scrub)

I dont even want to know what I said about Damian Lilliard's draft outlook...the small college guards can be tough to guage