1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Stephen Curry an upgrade over Aaron Brooks?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by jopatmc, Jun 10, 2009.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Bobby Knight said Curry was the best passer he had ever seen in the college game.

Whether he is an upgrade is questionable, but he just might be.

DD

2. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

i dont know. the guy has very average athleticism. those guys dont translate well to the NBA. plus he's only 6'4? no way he can get his shot off like he can in college.

3. sydmill

sydmill Member

I dont see Curry as a 2 defensively is the problem I have. He cant really run the poit a la Paul or Williams or Andre Miller and he cant guard the Kobes of the world (6'4''+). If he ends up in a system that caters to what he does well he'll succeed, do we want to do that...I doubt it.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

That's why he reminds me of cassell....sam has the midrange jumper where he dribbles pretty much upright and gives no sign of wanting to shoot, then he just rises all of sudden and pops it.....curry has that in him, almost identical except the actual shooting form..and well he runs off of picks well too..

5. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

Ellis was like 6'7" and not all that quick. Perhaps in the quickness of their release.

I'd say More like Stephen Curry = Dell Curry with more handles and speed.

6. Prince

Prince Member

Do you think Span is an upgrade over AB?

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Outside shooting average athleticism undersized scoring guard, how many of those end up being worthy of lottery selections? He can be a Daniel Gibson type

RudyTBag likes this.
  8. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

C'mon, this guy hasn't played in the NBA yet.
    Too early to judge.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

im not saying he'll be worth a lottery, but set shooter is not this guys future, he's much better with the ball than Gibson.

10. southernjustice

southernjustice Contributing Member

not true
    he tested well at the combine check the link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9IiWDmEPvE

11. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

Curry's a better passer that people give him credit for -- he ran the point this past year at Davidson and did a pretty good job. He'll obviously be looking for his shot first, but he's just as good if not better a passer than Brooks. I think if he reaches his full potential, he'll be a Bibby-style PG who does it better than Bibby. Bibby's stats in college weren't what Curry's are, and look at him.

And for everyone laughing at that baby face, think again: he's a late bloomer. He hasn't even reached maturity yet. He'll bulk up a bit in a few years. Plus, he's listed at 6'3", but I heard the talking heads saying during the tournament that doctors looked at his bone structure and he's due to grow up to another 2 inches.

Just imagine all that ability in a 6'4"-6'5" package. I've been high on Curry since last year, and I think whoever lands him might eventually end up getting the best player in the draft. Depends on how Griffen's skills transfer to the NBA.

xaos likes this.
  12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm how much have you seen him play? He doesn't get off his shot because of his height? He gets his shot off because he is quick enough to find space AND quick enough on the trigger.

If you watched him at Davidson, he was constantly being attacked defensively by 2 or 3 guys to force him to give up the ball. He could still squeeze off the shot with impossible spacing and the defenders would be waving at it after it sailed past their hands on the way to the net. His release is ULTRA-QUICK. He has the craziest, quickest jumper I have seen. I am not worried about him getting his shot off.

As far as the comparisons to J.J., Curry is so much quicker it isn't even funny. And J.J. is going to wind up having a very good NBA career. Everybody is down on him and while you are pounding on him, he is quietly getting better and better. You have to understand the importance of the jumper in the NBA game.

Curry will never be a great defender and he really needs to play alongside a McGrady like presence that will run the point for him offensively and let him defend the point defensively. That's why I really like him if we keep TMac. I think he would be an ideal fit alongside Yao/TMac. I am not worried about him being able to get his shot off. Anybody that likes watching RIP come off screens and bury shots, should relish the idea of Curry coming off the same screens and shooting those shots. As good of a shooter as Brooks is, Curry is in a different league.

There are only 2 players in the draft I am interested in: Rubio and Curry

13. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

I would love Curry on this team, but not at the expense of Brooks.

On a side note, I was reading an article on him in the latest DIME magazine )w/ Brandon Roy on the cover) and he apparently beat T-Mac one-on-one when he was in the 7th grade at a Raptors shoot around when Mac was still in TO. :cool:

14. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

Are you kidding? Davidson is D1.

Also Stephen Curry will be one of the best 5 players from this draft.

15. DaDakota

VSpan?

No.

He is a different player, I do like his attack the basket mentality, but he whined his way back to Greece, so it is sort of a moot point.

DD

16. DaDakota

I like those two and Griffin.

DD

17. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

man Curry is difficult to judge. He was a phenom, but so was JJ Redick. He is the kind of guy you take a gamble on because of his shooting (i.e. Matt Bullard, JJ Redick). If he can give you anything else, it would be a bonus.

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Hey, wait a minute! You can't like Curry. He's not white.

19. DaDakota

LOL - thanks for the morning laugh.

I think Curry is going to be really good, he has a very good BBall IQ and is a terrific passer too.

He is the kind of player that will thrive playing with better players.....same with Rubio, and Griffin.

DD

20. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

We are either twins separated at birth or you have been reading an old thread. :)

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=4557505

So yes, Curry is IMHO better than Brooks right now. No question he has better point guard skills and he will play the point in the NBA.

FWIW, I am a Davidson grad and watched quite a bit of Steph the last two years.