1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I Always Hated Joe Kelly

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, Jul 29, 2020.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

...I am skipping the 'grown to hate' stage...

Kelly is beloved by teammates, but he has a history of throwing at and antagonizing opponents. During Game 1 of the 2013 National League Division Series, he famously broke Dodgers star Hanley Ramirez’s ribs with a 95-mph fastball. In April 2018, he threw a 98-mph fastball at the Yankees’ Tyler Austin and threw several punches in the ensuing brawl. The incident sparked a Joe Kelly Fight Club among Red Sox fans.

“If I think I’m in the right and someone’s gonna get in my face, it’s not gonna be just a bunch of talking crap,” Kelly said in 2019. “It’s gonna go straight to, ‘All right, I shouldn’t have broken the guy’s nose when he just said, ‘F you.’ Maybe I took it too far.’ But I’m not gonna take my time, if I feel like I’m in the right, for something to happen. I’m always gonna be the aggressor, and that helps me out competitively on the field.”
    https://theathletic.com/1959490/202...QlEIVUAYdF4nmz16V4G_blbCZQVxz_aWAHlT9xzFjHHOg (Paywall)

2. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Considering he weighs 28 lbs soaking wet, he should probably not be so brazen.

3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

He thought he wanted that smoke until it got time to bite.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What a schmuck. He's got no command of his curve and throwing balls at Bregman's head. That scrawny punk would run scared like a little b**** had Alvarez been out there. Can we call him up today?

RustyHarden and RayRay10 like this.
  5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It's a good thing there wasn't a straight up fight between Correa and Kelly. Correa would have come away with at least 8 broken ribs. ;)

RustyHarden, RayRay10 and boomboom like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Whatever.

Someone was going to throw at the Astros.... and it ended up being Kelly.... I wish Kelly hadn't thrown at the Astros best player, but that isn't shocking either.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Freakin' Bill Hader!

BHannes2BHonest and BigM like this.
  8. HookemHorns1250

I don't mind people hitting us in the back. We cheated, it was going to happen. However, being thrown at by a guy that was on that 2018 Red Sox team... a 'bit hypocritical, especially by the media who are saying this guy had every right to throw at us. Dude literally played on a team that cheated as well. Either they just forgot that...or they are ignoring it.

9. STR8Thugg

Well he actually threw at Correa too, but it's not that he did throw, it's that he threw at their heads. That's unacceptable.

msn and donkeypunch like this.
  10. STR8Thugg

"Selective memory." They're ignoring it.

msn likes this.
  11. Screaming Fist

Never cool to throw at players, particularly at their heads. People are showing their ass defending this clown.

RayRay10 and msn like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Part of the game.

It is up to the league to decide what is sufficient punishment.

I will just say that the Dodgers need to watch themselves, because there is nothing except fear or punishment keeping the Astros from throwing at Betts or other players they do not want on the DL.

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I was really hoping they would brawl and everyone would get it out of their systems and move on. Since not... I hope we throw at them tonight as retaliation. We need to be willing to fight back and not just accept this as punishment. That will make teams think twice IMO.

RustyHarden, cmoak1982 and RayRay10 like this.
  14. msn

msn Member

Joe Kelly is clearly an asshat and a hypocrite.

If he really threw at someone's head, the way I heard (didn't get to watch), MLB needs to fine and suspend his ass. Or they demonstrate, again, their deep hypocrisy.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I don’t need the Astros throwing at anyone for retaliation. Just smack them around with some runs.

RustyHarden and boomboom like this.
  16. msn

msn Member

Exactly.

Don't talk. Don't retaliate.

Just kick ass.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

In this day/age, players using the media/twitter to call out stupidity by individual players seems to be more impactful than anything you can do in a game that results in potential fines and suspensions.

Sign of the times... they're all sensitive to social media. And they're all paying attention to it, regardless of what they may say.

RustyHarden likes this.
  18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Hader's much less talented, uglier, incredibly less intelligent, twit of a sister.

boomboom and RayRay10 like this.
  19. raj87

raj87 Member

He looks like a Geek Squad tech from Best Buy.

20. HookemHorns1250

We literally can't afford to. We can't take the risk of a reliever getting tossed. Not to mention we need Javier to go 3-4 innings at least. Just focus on winning the game.