1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm calling it now, Rockets will win the 2020 championship

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RKREBORN, Jun 26, 2020.

1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Why, you say?

Firstly, If you've been watching ESPN recently, you'll notice the media narrative on Harden and the Rockets has completely changed. I saw positive after positive coverage for the Rockets today. I'm not used to that, and it's kind of weird to see positive coverage.

Secondly, it's an "asterisk" championship this year. Who would dare sully LA or another NBA darling with a fake championship? Wait, what about Houston? Giving us the championship this year would guarantee the continuation of a media poop festival on Houston sports. From the "Jordan-less" NBA Champion Rockets to the "cheating" Astros, why not add the "corona" Rockets to the list?

Regardless, I'd still be happy if we won it all, but I do feel like they are setting us up for another way to belittle our city.

#1 RKREBORN, Jun 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Would you believe that I haven't been watching ESPN recently?

juanm34, alethios, hieuytran and 12 others like this.
  3. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I'm ashamed to admit I was watching today :(

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

Don’t worry I was tuned in today for the first time since March to watch the broadcast for the schedule. And I’m glad I did

5. rocketseagles07

The whole media narrative thing outside of a couple guys is really overblown. We’re in the unfortunate position of being right there on the cusp so obviously the question is going to consistently be brought up.. are we for real or aren’t we.

Same with harden.. he’s so great that he’s held to the standards of guys like Kobe, bron, etc. I won’t go back and forth about who’s had what teams but they got it done, period

Anyways it’s possible, I don’t believe it will happen but I’ll take a ring any way we can get it

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

at least it wasn’t plowman who made this thread...that would’ve guaranteed a 2nd round exit

7. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

If you're calling it @RKREBORN , I'm answering it!! ;)

It only makes sense that the Rockets win it this year, because of Covid, there probably wont be a parade! Heck we can't even attend any of the games...:cool:

Go Rockets!!!

8. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Neither have I. F them and all the national heads... I do think OP may be onto something. This is almost a lottery type playoffs for all teams which can favor the wild cards like us. No asterisk for me if we win it all

9. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Even if we win, it will probably labeled an * anyways, first the astros now the rockets

10. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Not quite feeling that connection between the astros and the Rockets, except maybe in the broadest possible sense -- the Astros brought it on themselves, and the Rockets are still innocent and heroic to real Rox fans, no? And the labels are beneath consideration, truly. If we paid attention to every ignorant fool who wants to belittle beautiful things, we'd never have a moment to enjoy anything at all.

BamBam and D-rock like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

I believe!

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...small-ball-revolution-to-disney-world-bubble/

Herbert: Anyway, the size gap: My reflexive answer is that other teams should be worried about the skill gap. We see centers get played off the floor in the playoffs every season; maybe the Rockets just got it out of the way early, while simultaneously adding a player who fits their system perfectly.

In theory, all the standing around the role players do on offense means that they'll have more energy on defense. In theory, all the switching means they will be able to avoid getting into rotation. But then you watch them and you see Covington flying around all over the place, Tucker fighting 7-footers for position and Westbrook pushing the pace like a madman. To get to the Finals, Houston will need to play this way for almost three months, just about every other day. This sounds exhausting.

I'm not quite ready to pick the Rockets over the teams based in Los Angeles -- I'll take skill over size any day, but the Western Conference front-runners aren't short on skill. At the same time, how many Lakers and Clippers role players are you absolutely sure will be able to stay on the court against them? I love that their front office is looking at where the league is going rather than what has worked in the past, and I think it'd be incredible if everybody who laughed at them at the deadline had to eat their words in the playoffs. Let's see them play some more games together before we put a ceiling on them.

[​IMG]

12. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

nice article....EG and Tucker need to be healed up for us to have a chance. i think they give a little too much credit to House's defense, but he needs to hit those threes....i would be satisfied with beating even one of those LA teams. We have to beat them and the refs...i'm sure kawhi and AD and lebron are going to the line a zillion times just by laying a hand on them, so we'll need to run 9 deep.

Plowman and D-rock like this.
  13. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

What happens if we don't

14. blackistan

blackistan Member

Emotions run high when there's a lack of sports...here's an example

15. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Yes. That's the point I was trying to make.

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

If the prom king gets sick and you bag the prom queen, you still got laid. Scoreboard.

jch1911 likes this.
  17. Juxtaposed Jolt

To be fair, this season's champion shouldn't have an asterisk.

When you have an asterisk attached to your win, it's usually because you had some sort of unfair advantage (either outside your control or not) that was the primary driving factor in why you won.

2019 Raptors? Thompson, Durant were out.
    One of the many Warriors titles? Irving and Love were out.
    Etc.

But for this season, all of the teams are more or less healthy, had the same time off, are playing in the same location. AND for the rest of the season, you're playing against the better / best teams in the NBA just to determine your seeding, so that you can then play against the same best teams for the championship.

tl;dr I don't look at it as an asterisk at all.

Y2JT and D-rock like this.
  18. Juxtaposed Jolt

Xerobull talking about getting laid with girls still in high school.

:eek:

Xerobull likes this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

To me, this depends 100% on Eric Gordon.

As an example, in games played this season.

EG: 21-12 record, 9.85 average gamescore in wins, 5.1 in losses (1.91x as good in wins, though even that gamescore isn't great)
    JH: 39-22 record, 29 average gamescore in wins, 20 in losses (1.45x)
    RW: 34-19 record, 19.7 average gamescore in wins, 18.8 in losses (1.05x)
    PF: 40-24 record, 8.0 average gamescore in wins, 5.0 in losses (1.59x)

RC: 8-6 record, 11.35 average gamescore in wins, 9.88 in losses (1.15x)

Those are the "main" guys. Obviously the sample size with Covington is pretty small. EG is twice as good in wins as in losses. Which is the biggest multiple of those guys. PJ has a decent disparity, too, but gamescore isn't the best at valuing defense or defensive versatility, imo.

Just some stats to back up the obvious.

He needs to be healthy and on his game the whole run. I am hopeful that the first point basically makes the second point happen. He's healthy... therefor he is better.

Heck, even if the multiple stays the same, if he's a 16 gamescore player in wins, and 8 in losses, the record will still be much better. He wasn't even that good in wins this year.

D-rock likes this.
  20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

If you bag the top Karen in the local Facebook neighborhood group, even if her husband, Travis, is out of town on his weekly hunting trip (he's always working or hunting and never home!!!), you still got laid. Scoreboard!

#20 Xerobull, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    jch1911 and Juxtaposed Jolt like this.