1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Bear_Bryant, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Well I didn't see a thread (can lock this if there is one) but the draft starts today. There are only 5 rounds this year due to COVID-19 and the Astros don't have a pick in round 1 or 2. The Astros have the following picks:

Compensation pick - 72 (for losing Gerrit Cole)
    Round 3 - 101
    Round 4 - 131
    Round 5 - 160

phasors28 likes this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It wouldn’t surprise me to see Houston pick the best player available regardless of signability with their 2nd and 3rd round picks, being comfortable punting those picks to next draft when there will be more talent and them potentially having a larger pool will play to their advantage. No way of guessing what they’ll do in rounds 4 and 5 but I suspect they might end up with college pitchers in those slots because that seems to be where the depth is in this draft.

studogg and snowconeman22 like this.
  3. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

F MLB!

I love the game of baseball but I hate MLB and their shitty players association. Hypocrites all around.

htwnbandit and donkeypunch like this.
  4. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Why? They want too play as many games as possible, it’s the owners that are trying to back out of the agreement made in March.

5. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Back on topic of the thread...

What’s the Astros draft pool?

And slot value for the comp pick, Rd 3-5 picks?

6. Buck Turgidson

This.

The Owners and the MLBPA seem to want to do some sort of dumbass thunderdome, and they are both completely tone-deaf.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Owners and players made an agreement that specified what would happen if no games were played and if games could be played normally with 3 conditions being meet. If games could be played while taking extra precautions, further negotiations in good faith were required to happen before season could start. Owners informed players union that pay would have to be reduced if fans could not attend games. As players have said no to any reduction in pay despite being informed that would need to occur for games to be played without fans prior to agreement, some of the blame has to go to the players.

Granted, owners offer is still probably about 200-300 million light.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

Moneyballers all agree, there is no way a guy named "Torkelson" can get to the majors. Hancock has similar problems. Austin Martin, that guy is going to be a bad ass. Mark it down.

Nook likes this.
  9. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

72 - $870,700
    101 - $577,000
    131 - $430,800
    160 -$324,100

Total is $2,202,600 per excel.

Sauce: https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-mlb-draft-bonus-slots

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

You know what really grinds my gears? Pick #17 of the first round. **** that ****.

mikol13 and Nook like this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

12. Nook

Nook Member

Rays and Cardinals took the two players the Astros coveted.

Astros really, really liked that high schooler the Rays took.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  13. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Kind of figured Rays & Astros would both be in on the same prospects due to Click coming over here.

The Beard and Nook like this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

No surprise Click wanted who the Rays wanted. But surely they didn’t expect either of those guys to last until 72.

Looking at the last 2 drafts, this comment, and the Leon/Colas rumors, it appears Click and the guys leftover from Luhnow agree on targeting power hitters and power arms.

Hitters with big power potential that might be available at 72:
    Blaze Jordan
    Corey Collins
    Nolan McLean
    Gage Workman
    Hudson Haskin
    Owen Caissie
    Tyler Gentry
    Chase Davis

pitchers who throw 97+:
    Jared Kelley
    Cole Wilcox
    Chris McMahon
    JT Ginn
    Burl Carraway
    Jared Jones
    Kyle Nicolas
    Alejandro Rosario
    Gavin Williams
    Mason Erla

Bear_Bryant likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

You would be right. Click is also a big believer on betting on upside early in the draft both stateside and international.

As long as his gambles look more like those taken by the Rays than the White Sox, I am good with it.

16. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Sorry...I should've been a little more clear with my angst. I was reviewing the draft and was pissed off that Houston didn't have picks in the first two rounds. My hypocritical reference was a two-prong jab at MLB for not punishing other cheating teams to the extent the Astros were punished...and the players (during the minimal spring training games up until now) that found it cute to make jokes at the Astros' expense. How many of these guys have had teammates (or did it themselves) try to steal signs while standing on second base. EVERYONE does it...so F MLB for making the Astros an example. What a joke of an organization...only rivaled by the joke that is the NCAA.

As for the two sides not agreeing on a restart and bickering over every sticking point...I'm not the least bit surprised. It happens in all sports (and even in industries)...so I'm ok with the process unfolding how it may. Millionaires fighting with billionaires.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  17. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

What / where did you see the Colas rumors?

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

At least the Astros don't have to worry about any of their players from 2017 being signed as free agents by other teams - correct? I mean, that would be hypocritical of those teams to sign players after the extent of the scheme was unveiled. It would be hypocritical of their potential teammates to welcome those cheaters into their brotherhood. It would also be hypocritical of the fans to welcome them.

I am quite confident, therefore, that the Astros will retain Springer and Correa and others.

19. Nook

Nook Member

No, they didn’t expect either player to be there when they finally had a chance to draft. They were just two players that the Astros had at the top of their board.

Astros are looking for inefficiencies in the market to exploit. Be that dropping a lot of money on an outfielder that is small (thus under rated) but has tremendous power or a 17 year old pitcher.

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Bear_Bryant likes this.