1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

The View from the Ground: George Floyd Protests

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, May 28, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I have heard similar sentiment from people I know in both Illinois and Ohio. These people assume I hold a similar sentiment being 40, white and a businessman.

I had a 55 year old white man attorney matter of fact say “how long until Trump sends in the military to crush all the apes and socials *****.”

I had another successful small business owner from Mexico say “the problem is the blacks want everything for free. I won’t hire them.”

So racism and veiled threats of violence are alive and well. I hear white men (mostly) say everyone is equal now. No, there are more laws than 60 years ago, but there are plenty of people that hate blacks, women, gays and others.

RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. I'm familiar with that stretch of road. The protest was large. When I pass under Washington while I might not be able to read the signs right away I can see the road ahead at the start of the bridge. Given that there was no other traffic on the road and he's sitting much higher than I would in my vehicle it seems like he should've seen them.

He was speeding so yes it takes a lot longer to stop.

I'm not saying he for sure was trying to harm or intimidate the protesters. What LE are reporting sounds reasonable. That said there could be an argument that he was negligent even if he wasn't acting with malice.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

GRAPHIC... NYC Officer run over.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I hope they catch that driver. He/She sped up through the collision. That was intentional. Horrible.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I can't help but think both sides (cops/protestors) are watching the worst things both have done over and over on social media and I feel like that's why things haven't de-escalated, social media keeps sparking a perpetual cycle of rage and lashing out (from both cops/protestors).

Derek Chauvin was arrested and charged with murder on Friday, It's been 4 days since he was arrested, and it took 4 days after Georges's death for him to be arrested. Everybody needs to start winding down... until a verdict is made at least.

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Essentially. Looting is a crime. These people built their businesses on hard work. To take that from them in a time of chaos is despicable. Kids need to learn to stay home.

I fully support the protests and the protestors. I've posted endlessly about it. These looters, they are not about that though. They are politicizing a movement in order to cause mass hysteria and it's working. They are sowing seeds of rebellion and anarchy.

#467 Two Sandwiches, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    JumpMan, Hakeemtheking and RayRay10 like this.
  8. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Repulsive whoever did that

DVauthrin and RayRay10 like this.
  9. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Where is trump? Where is the president address to the nation when it needs it the most.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. MLK

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Then they should be charged and but in jail. Killing someone over theft? You serious.

jiggyfly, DVauthrin and RayRay10 like this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He knows better, I'm gonna guess the vast, vast majority of people out protesting could care less about him addressing the nation. BLM, families of the victim (and past victims), some politicians like Obama, Biden, Bernie, AOC, celebrities, athletes are going to have to be the ones to mend this wound.

jiggyfly, RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya the way social media works, people on both sides are just seeing the worst of both sides and it really is escalating tensions.

A former peer of mine who is now a NYPD cop is basically using Facebook as his own personal news posting feed of rioters attacking cops and you can tell his pent up rage from watching all these compilations and then going out on patrol.

Nook, Two Sandwiches and ThatBoyNick like this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We all forget, that emotionally, humans tend to be extremely simple, shortsighted, flat out dumb. We're ****ing animals and we aren't built to be re-watching enraging **** all-day, or debating, or to be constantly entertained.

I'm hoping there will be a time in the future when these problems will be realized, and for people to become much less digitally intertwined socially, and much more living life in person so to speak. Not sure if I will ever see it.

jiggyfly, RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  14. Two Sandwiches

Jail doesn't scare some people away. They think they won't get caught and it's a delayed thing.

Some times you have to have immediate results. I believe capital punishment should be put out there. It should be in the open and used as a repressive tool. If you're gonna have it, use it to its fullest extent.

I know that's not a left leaning thought, and it's not popular around here, but there are times where people need to be put in check. This is one of them.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

Looting is a crime, but it is not a crime punishable by death. Not even close...

We have a court of law and judges for a reason. So if a bunch of people broke into a store in downtown Houston, you’d really be fine seeing HPD come and kill all of them and have a bunch of dead bodies lying everywhere? That sounds insane and is China-esque.

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Had another calm night last night. The only real incident in my neighborhood was a car driving the wrong way hit a squad the LE chased and the car crashed. The car had mismatched plates and firearms were found in it. No word on if this was related to the George Floyd situation. I'm really hoping Minneapolis has turned a corner but the real test will come on Thursday when Floyd's funeral will be held.

I'm contemplating taking a break tonight and hopefully getting a more than 5 hours of the sleep. It would be the first time in a week.

17. Two Sandwiches

In theory, from a storeowner's perspective, I absolutely believe they should shoot to kill.

In reality, obviously not. Too hard to police and trust people.

But think about how sick that Dallas video made you feel. Now, flip that around. A couple shop owners shoot looters in their store and put it on Twitter, and people stop looting.

I support the shop owners protecting their stores 100%.
    I support the protestors 150%.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I know several business owners and residents in my neighborhood that have armed themselves and are prepared to shoot people that try to loot or burn. One big concern that I have when I go out to patrol is the danger of someone with an itchy trigger finger. That is why I wear a high visibility vest and also a headlamp so I'm very visible.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

In Minneapolis it has wound down. Starting Sunday the tone of the both the protesters and the LE has markedly changed. It is far less tense and much more cooperative.

RayRay10 and jcf like this.
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A human being is not easy to spot on a highway two football field away, especially if you are not expecting to see a human being there. Even on a clear day with no traffic - at 70 mph on a highway it's hard enough to notice cars 600 feet in front of you.

This is in fact why they implemented the 3rd brake light and yet trucks still slam into traffic in good weather conditions.

The point is that it's a very gray issue and that most likely he noticed the protestors on the highway late for whatever reasons and thus did not have enough time to stop. Fortunately no one was hurt.

RayRay10 and jcf like this.