1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump retreats to underground bunker

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, May 31, 2020.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/01/us/politics/trump-governors.html

President Trump on Monday lashed out at governors for their response to the violence roiling the country, calling protesters “terrorists,” demanding “retribution” and warning the governors they would look like “jerks” if they did not send them to “jail for long periods of time.”

“You have to dominate,” Mr. Trump told the governors. If they failed to take a strong hand, he said, the protesters were “going to run over you, you’re going to look like a bunch of jerks.” In blunt remarks rarely heard from an American president, he prodded the chief executives not to be “too careful.”

“Someone throwing a rock is like shooting a gun,” Mr. Trump told them. “You have to do retribution.”

“You’re making yourself look like fools,” he told the governors, chiding them for not all calling out the National Guard.

[...]

The pushback from governors only seemed to energize the president. Alluding to television footage of violence and looting, Mr. Trump called the people committing those acts “scum” and demanded of the governors: “Why aren’t you prosecuting them?”

Gov. J.B. Pritzker of Illinois confronted the president over what he called Mr. Trump’s “inflammatory” language.

“We have to call for calm,” said Mr. Pritzker, whose state was hit with a wave of looting over the weekend. “The rhetoric that’s coming out of the White House is making it worse,” he added.

Mr. Trump, who has rarely been so directly criticized during his coronavirus-related conference calls with the governors, swiped back. “I don’t like your rhetoric much either,” he said. He told Mr. Pritzker he could do “a much better job.”

Mr. Pritzker was not the only governor to express unease. In an illustration of this precarious moment, Gov. Janet Mills of Maine, a Democrat, told the president that his planned trip to her state this week may provoke more unrest. “I’m very concerned your presence may cause security problems for our state,” she said.

The president responded, “we’ll look into that,” before firing back that he expected “a tremendous crowd of people showing up.”

“They like their president,” Mr. Trump said.

Gov. Jim Justice of West Virginia, a Republican, then interjected to say Mr. Trump would be welcome in his state. The president replied with a message for Ms. Mills: “She tried to talk me out of it now I think she probably talked me into it,” he said of his planned trip to Maine. “She just doesn’t understand me very well.”

Mr. Trump, who has not formally addressed the nation since the unrest began, said he was putting Gen. Mark A. Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, “in charge,” but did not immediately specify what that meant or if he would deploy the military to quell the violence in the nation’s cities.

The president also zeroed in on unrest in New York City, reminding the governors that he maintained a residence there and suggesting that the police should be able to do their jobs.

“I don’t know what’s happening in Manhattan, but it’s terrible,” Mr. Trump said. “New York is going to have to toughen up. We’ll send you National Guard if you want.” Again stoking conflict, he said New York police officers had “to be allowed maybe to do their jobs.”

Mr. Trump often sounded as much like an angry bystander as the nation’s president, repeatedly recalling his reaction to televised footage of the unrest.

“They just walked right down the street, knocking them out with tear gas, tear gas,” he said of the National Guard’s handling of the riots in Minneapolis. “These guys, they were running.”

And without evidence, Mr. Trump asserted that after the crackdown in the Twin Cities the protesters had left to create mayhem in other localities.

”They’re all looking for weak spots” he said of the protesters. “Now what they’re going to do is search out perhaps smaller cities.”

The governors, the president said, must apprehend them.

”And you can’t do the deal where they get one week in jail,” he said. “These are terrorists. These are terrorists. And they’re looking to do bad things to our country.”

Perhaps recognizing the risks he was taking with his language, Mr. Trump acknowledged the presence of his attorney general, William P. Barr.

“I’m not asking my attorney general, and perhaps you’ll stop me from saying that, but you’re allowed to fight back,” he said.

Mr. Trump has long used language common to authoritarians than to democratically elected leaders to speak about protesters. In 1990, Mr. Trump told Playboy magazine that Beijing showed “the power of strength” when it used deadly military force to quell the student-led demonstrations at Tiananmen Square the year before.

“When the students poured into Tiananmen Square, the Chinese government almost blew it,” Mr. Trump said. “Then they were vicious, they were horrible, but they put it down with strength. That shows you the power of strength. Our country is right now perceived as weak.”

In 2016, Mr. Trump said the comments were not an endorsement, before calling the students “rioters” and reiterating that a “strong, powerful government” stopped the protests.

And even as president, he has openly nudged law enforcement officers to treat those apprehended with harsh tactics.

“When you see these thugs being thrown into the back of a paddy wagon, you just see them thrown in, rough — I said, ‘Please don’t be too nice,’” Mr. Trump said to applause from Long Island police officers in a 2017 speech

Yung-T, cheke64 and RayRay10 like this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Essentially that would be a declaration of martial law. Hopefully the military would refuse that order

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Guess the modern-day fiddle is a phone with Twitter on it:
    [​IMG]

4. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

What excuses? So you denied trying to impeach the man with this Russia Russia hoax from day one? You will not be able to do your job well if they do pull the same shiet on you I can guarantee it. Funny thing is, despite everything thrown at the man, he is still able to do his job and about to get re-elected. Look at who he’s running against? That’s the best you guys can do after 4 years of b****ing.

B@ffled likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You're pathetic. All you can talk about is blaming others and then predict that he will be re-elected.

The country is in shambles. Over 100k dead from COVID. Cities are burning down. Citizens are revolting. You're watching America degrade into a 3rd world country under his watch.

Zero leadership. Even to this day he hasn't addressed the nation. He's hiding in his basement and hiding behind his keyboard.

Yung-T, AleksandarN and Hakeemtheking like this.
  7. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All you've got is excuses. Leaders lead, they don't cower in the basement.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This is Barack HUSSEIN Obama's fault for turning it into a BLACK HOUSE :mad::mad::mad:

Maybe General leads from the back?

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

Trump criticizing someone else’s handling of the coronavirus? LMAO

10. Invisible Fan

When China got you pegged, time to FIRE your advisors or FIRE yourself
    https://www.newsweek.com/chinese-state-media-donald-trump-hide-behind-secret-service-150775
    Chinese state media tells Donald Trump to not "hide behind" Secret Service amid George Floyd protests

Chinese state media has mocked President Donald Trump over the ongoing George Floyd protests, with one newspaper editor telling the commander-in-chief not to "hide behind" law enforcement.

As demonstrations against police brutality have spread to cities across the U.S. in the wake of Floyd's death, Chinese propaganda outlets have called instances of rioting "retribution" for American support of Hong Kong's pro-democracy protesters.

The state mouthpieces have also called on U.S. politicians to solve problems in America before "trying to create new problems" in other countries.

"Mr. President, don't hide behind the Secret Service," Global Times editor-in-chief Hu Xijin tweeted on Saturday. "Negotiate with them, just like you urged Beijing to talk to Hong Kong rioters."

Xijin later peddled an unsubstantiated conspiracy theory that "Hong Kong rioters" had infiltrated the U.S. and were the "mastermind of violent protests" impacting cities across the country.

In a Global Times editorial published on Sunday, the state-operated newspaper compared Hong Kong pro-democracy demonstrations with the ongoing protests over Floyd's death in police custody.

"The ongoing chaos in the US will not lead to due reflection, but will bring the practices of verbal assault and buck-passing to a new height," the editorial read. "No matter what happens, the US will always believe its political system is the best."

Nook, Yung-T and RayRay10 like this.
  11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"Black House" being easier to say than "Doesn't-Even-Pass-the-Brown-Paper-Bag Test"?

I remember my Iowan family literally shutting me out at a get-together when I argued against their conversation of Obama;s "fake birth certificate."

You believe what you want to believe. I won't bring up George Floyd with certain family members; it'll just piss me off even more.

I kid you not, I had tears streaming down my face last night watching the news about this. The CNN reporter put it best: "George Floyd on the ground, gasping for breath like a fish out of water." It's exactly what he looked like.

Yung-T, AleksandarN, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  12. Invisible Fan

It's not hard to feel depressed. I got the feels over moments where the police empathized with the protestors. Gotta have faith in ourselves and not spiral into whatever is raging right now.

Yung-T, AleksandarN, joshuaao and 2 others like this.
  13. NewRoxFan

trump sets up powerful "command center" in his bunker...

White House establishing ‘central command center’ to combat riots as Trump issues warning
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/wh...enter-to-combat-riots-as-trump-issues-warning

Yung-T and RayRay10 like this.
  14. NewRoxFan

trump, who definitely wasn't needed, left at 3pm...

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

jiggyfly, arkoe, AleksandarN and 3 others like this.
  16. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

I can't wait to see this thread after Trump wins another 4 years. People will waste another 4 years complaining. Get on with life.

17. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

This should be the response every time mojoman posts his cartoon

18. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When he loses, feel free to move to Poland or Brazil.

19. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

What is sad is all of the alt right racists who post and try defend all of the dog whistling that Trump does. Who cares about China and communists.

20. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Different court? This is what is at stakes guys and gals. The republicans want to control the country through changing of the courts. So no matter if the right is the majority or not the courts will be. This is why Mitch does not care about the back up of legislation that was passed in congress(including aid for people struggling during the pandemic) all Mitch and other people in right care about is tipping the balance in the judicial system by appointing as many judges as they can before Trump explodes. They don’t care about the country if they did they would stand up against trump. They know their time is running out.

RayRay10 likes this.