1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Bulls] Jerry Krause

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by lnchan, May 12, 2020.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Fun article here... https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/...e-michael-jordan-chicago-bulls-the-last-dance. Makes me think that Jordan would have been at Daryl Morey's throat. Also a tidbit here that Bulls had the same cocaine problems as the Rockets in the 80s... common player between those two teams... Mitchell Wiggins (Andrew Wiggins's father). I would say without Krause... Jordan probably gets two rings, but Lakers, Pistons, Blazers probably get one more as well.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Honestly without Krause there’d be no Pippen, Horace Grant or Phil Jackson which means Jordan wouldn’t have won anything. If you took a look at the players they had prior to Pippen and Grant’s arrival the second best player was Charles Oakley. Even with the Pistons aging I don’t know if Jordan and Oakley would have been enough to beat Ewing Starks Riley and the Knicks.

Pippen and Grant gave Jordan the support he sorely needed while Jackson gave Jordan that much needed push into playing team ball.

saleem, Invisible Fan, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Jordan is arguably the greatest player of all time. I think he probably gets surrounded by enough talent to win a ring at some point. But what you wrote is spot on and the classic problem with using rings as the biggest barometer of greatness. It takes so many things beyond just one player to get a championship. If Sampson doesn’t get hurt and cocaine doesn’t take down the backcourt, does Hakeem have 6 rings? Dream spent years with the kind of team Jordan would have been left with had he not had Krause there.

saleem, Easy and steddinotayto like this.
  4. steddinotayto

oh no doubt MJ would still be the same prolific scorer even without Pippen and Horace. But I can’t see him carrying a barely average roster to the promise land in and era that basically defined the league. They used the pick that got them Pippen on Olden Polynice! I don’t know if that was specifically for Seattle but they DID need a center at that time because Cartwright was still a Knick.

5. lnchan

If Morey was GM in that Rockets era... he would have found Scottie, treated him like Chandler Parsons and put him at the 4.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And another aspect is why folks really want the last word on who is the Goat....

We are all accustomed to just arguing for every little detail.

They do not earn a bigger paycheck if Lebron or Jordan is.

I think everyone should just have his or her own little Goat.

Dream is the Goat around here and that is fine.

The question shouldn't be that important to begin with.

7. steddinotayto

I mean that almost happened without Morey when rumor has it that Horry was in play to be sent to Chicago for Pippen. A trio of Hakeem, a Drexler with some gas left and Pippen would have been devastating for years to come and this is coming from a huge Horry stan. Heck, that probably would have prevented the Barkley trade and we would have kept Cassell.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I grew up hating Krause. Ended the Bulls for no reason and it's still irrational to this day. But if anything, the new doc has me feeling sorry for him.

saleem likes this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I've been wondering why Krause has been portrayed as more of a joke than the brains behind the engine that built the Bulls.

10. lnchan

He didn't star in a movie with Bugs Bunny or partner with Nike.

Easy, D-rock and plutoblue11 like this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Actually he did (sort of) but he was the bad guy.

[​IMG]

daywalker02 and D-rock like this.
  12. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I remember Krause always saying they didn't want the Bulls to fall off a cliff when their run ended and they basically ran off their stars and fell even harder than the Celtics did.

Patience and D-rock like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Pippen was a disaster paired with Hakeem. He hated the 4 out system because he disliked deferring to a post player (whether it was Dream or Chuck).

Pippen's ego was out of control and was a me player, not team player, unless he was the MAN or had a personality like MJ to keep him in his place.

The better trade would have been to acquire Rodman from Pistons or from San Antonio.

This would have allowed Rockets to keep Horry as well as Cassell. This starting line up would have been lethal vs. Jazz, Suns, Sonics and Spurs.

Olajuwon
    Rodman
    Horry
    Drexler
    Cassell

With Mario Elie, Kenny Smith, Vernon Maxwell, Matt Bullard, Kevin Willis off the bench.

Patience likes this.
  14. lnchan

Max and Rodman on the same team... that can be a 10 part documentary in itself.

15. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

From the tidbits of Krause in 'the last dance', they painted him in a negative light that he was jealous that Coach Phil Jackson was earning more or had the potential to earn more than him because he thought as an exec he was entitled to more. RIP

saleem likes this.
  16. Jontro

Jontro Member

so krause > moarley

saleem and daywalker02 like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And that he was the bullied fat kid in school and that left a scar which grew to be a huge chip on his shoulder in his life.

saleem likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He did, he was credited as Wayne Knight.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Nah, Krause didn't know how to use a computer, let alone analytics. :D

Jontro likes this.
  20. Jontro

Jontro Member

true. he won based on napoleon syndrome and schitty personality.

learning the computer and a TI-83 would only confuse him and probably trade jordan.

daywalker02, saleem and Easy like this.