1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

25th Anniversary of the Kiss of Death!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsjudoka, May 20, 2020.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Today May 20, 2020 is the 25th Anniversary of the Game 7th 1995 Western Conference Divisional Playoffs. The Rockets come down from 3 games to 1 with game 7 in Phoenix. Rockets seal it with a three from the corner from Mario Elie who cemented his position as a Clutchfans favorite.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But But But
    Did ESPN or FOX Sports or Bleach Report or TikTok or Weebo or Jim Rome or TNT

love us ? cause you know like if we didn't get likes it didn't really happen

signed - Newbs of the GARM

@Os Trigonum

3. tinman

Supporting Member

I just want to know if pizza was delivered to the Rockets cause that's important

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It happened. I liked it then; I like it now.

tinman likes this.
  5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Spit on this reply, Mr ‘Pie.

tinman likes this.
  6. tinman

Supporting Member

Oh back in the day when Rockets teams don't miss 20 something three pointers in crunch time in the playoffs

Mario, Sam, Horry, Kenny will never miss that many open 3s

7. rw7183

rw7183 Contributing Member

I wonder what Morey would say today about shooting a wide-open three in a tie game with shot clock turned off and 7 seconds left on the clock. Seems like it is a no-no. Should be win or overtime. Shooting a shot with that much time left brings in possibility you could lose game in regulation.

8. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

9. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

There was nothing Charles Barkley could do. Charles Barkley could not score 45 to win the game for Phoenix.

I have to admit I doubted rockets chances and was surprised.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Just rewatched that game. Again. Good viewing.

And just perhaps, perhaps perhaps a 4-point play might have assuaged 27 in a row. Perhaps perhaps, perhaps even a robot ref mighta seen a foul or 2 of the 27. Perhaps.

alas

UTSA2step and tinman like this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

I don’t care what the homers here say
    This was all D’Antoni’s fault
    Game 7 is game 7
    Stop being stubborn and switch up the plays and call time out
    Everyone turned into John Starks game 7

12. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

this was just on nbatv. the amount of calls KJ was getting was absurd. the 22 ft's don't even do justice to how many non-shooting fouls he drew. the entire second half for both teams is just a non-stop whistle-athon. look at that final foul on KJ, weak as ****. and the one that gave kenny 2 ft's right before it wasn't exactly a game 7, 1 minutes to go kinda foul.

that's one thing you notice about 80's to mid-90's games. people fouled like crazy. i don't mean physical fouls. just reaching and slapping 90 feet away from the basket, going over the back on rebounds, fouling almost every driver no matter how out of control. so many points just thrown away. and refs had their whistles out at all moments. the big moment foul calls that would get a ref eviscerated today were commonplace. 1980 finals game 6 and 1981 ECF game 7 were on the other day. people just never stop slapping and reaching. it was 40 years ago and i'm watching the game almost getting mad at the players.

this game notwithstanding, i still contend that, just like with 3's, rudy was analytically ahead of his time and understood the value of ft's because the rockets were one of the lowest foul teams almost the whole time he was coaching. good teams and bad.

xiki and Easy like this.
  13. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

In all fairness, there is one Rocket everyone respects... except in Phoenix... Robert Horry.

15. BleedsRocketRed

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Newbs will only know him for his lakers shot
    I bet they didn’t know he was a rocket

17. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Danuel house is shaping up to be Pete chillcutt, and it's good.

For house, this postponed playoffs was shaping to be Mario Ellie and Toni kukoc type playoff for danuel house for sure.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If seeing what I saw makes me ‘stubborn’ then stubborn I am.

However, there is validity to your argument. Just don’t leave the outcome in a vacuum.

19. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

francis 4 prez likes this.
  20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I recorded this game the other night on NBA Network and watched it last night.

• I had forgotten how much we were outplayed and out-hustled in that 1st half. We spent most of the 1st half down by double digits
    • i had also forgotten that Chilcutt was a starter and actually really contributed
    • Horry's pass to Elie almost went right over his head. It was a great effort by Elie just to catch it. Had he not caught it, history would have played out totally different
    Funny, I was actually best man in a wedding the day of this game, so I didn't get to watch it live. Before the reception started, all the groomsmen grabbed a few bottles of champagne, snuck off to the parking garage and listened to the 4th quarter on the car radio. We were yelling so loud when Elie hit the shot that is was echoing all through the garage....good times.

LOL at Gene Peterson's call of that shot....it was awesome....

Man, do i miss that team. [old fart] The NBA in general was so much more fun to watch back then than it is now...... [/old fart]

#20 ima_drummer2k, May 22, 2020
    Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Scarface and Little Bit like this.