1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

How Good was Clyde Drexler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsjudoka, May 7, 2020.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

He's going to the good place. But his soul mate will be Kristen Bell. Will watch.

2. jim petersen84

great team player, clutch player, amazing passer, 1 of the best open court player during his era. as good a rebounder for his position.

BenjaminChen, Patience and D-rock like this.
  3. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Adelman had loaded team with Chris Webber, Bibby, divac with sacramento.

The players argued alot with refs as you can see if you rewatch any blazers versus bulls high lights.

Portland was a small town that didn't really carry as much respect as Chicago.

Terry Porter and cliff Robinson were known for arguing with referrees with Portland trailblazers.

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

What list is this? Reggie Miller was a great player. Really so was Tmac. I don’t know where I’d put Clyde relative to them but not having him in the top 75 is laughable.

5. TilmanFinancialWindfall

It's the new ESPN top 75 NBA player of ALL TIME.

It said, "As VOTED BY THOUSANDS of EXPERTS..." and I presume all these experts are in their 20's or 30's, because I don't see how Reggie is higher than Clyde, as a player."

Reggie had a lot of clutch moments because he made himself important with his antic against the Knicks and the Bulls, 2 of the top 5 Franchise in history. That doesn't make Reggie a better player than Clyde, as the 10000000 experts said so.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29105681/ranking-top-74-nba-players-all-nos-40-11

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Thanks for the link. Good that Clyde is on there at least. He shouldn’t be lower than people that have played half a career like Giannis. That’s just stupid. Reggie Miller is very underrated. I don’t know that I’d put him over Clyde but it’s not a stretch.

7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Blazers passed on MJ cause of Drexler - hindsight is 20/20.

8. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Agree about the half-career part. It would be like anointing Derrick Rose a top 50 player all-time in 2011.

9. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Probably just outside the top 5 of all time sgs. Depends. He's definitely behind Harden at this point all time. Probably right below AI and West.

11. Josh Smith

Josh Smith Member

not as good as jordan

12. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

13. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

1995 First Round Game 4 vs Jazz

Patience and saleem like this.
  14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I would rate him higher than Harden, despite the latter’s better all round offensive skill set.
    Clyde’s smooth athleticism gives him the edge. He was a better perimeter defender than James.

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm just going by objective individual accomplishments. Aesthetics is different. Harden had more All-NBA first teams, a MVP, much more MVP vote shares and more impressive offensive numbers.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Drexler at his best! The famous Hakeem and Clyde combination!

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think most people would say that Harden is the superior offensive player while Drexler is the better defensive player. Who is better overall is more debatable. We know that those awards (MVP, All-NBA, etc.) are mostly biased toward offense. Besides, Drexler played the same time as MJ who was the perennial MVP candidate. So wouldn't put too much stock in those.

I would say that Harden is better overall individually. However, Drexler's style is more conducive to fit in a highly talented team than Harden. Harden has to have the ball in his hand and be the number one option. Drexler is more versatile and can be great on different types of teams. If I had to choose between the two to build a team around, it would be a very tough choice. Harden can carry a team better. Drexler is easier to assemble a team around him.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Drexler also took his team to more WCF and NBA finals. Drexler was 2nd best SG only to the GOAT during that HOF era.

Some great SG in that era: MJ, Drexler, Mitch Richmond, Joe Dumars, Reggie Miller, Adrian Dantley, Thunder Dan Majerle, Steve Smith

If SG and SF lumped as wings, Drexler was even better than Pippen, Nique or Mullin IMO.

Easy likes this.
  19. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Drexler was brilliant for making subtle move as big three executive. Drexler was smart to move big three completely out of Houston.

It was just a smart move all around. It was good out of respect for Texans, uh and their new stadium,rockets, etc.

#119 smoothie_king, May 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
  20. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member