1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, the $50 billion I was talking about wasn't on the airlines (good Lord, are they all worth that any more? lol). He's owned airlines for about 4 or 5 years, so he was probably making bank until COVID-19. You know he's pissed. lol. The $50 billion I was talking about was the net loss for Berkshire as a whole for the quarter. They own a ton of companies and of course a ton of companies were affected by the economic downturn (like railroads, Dairy Queen, etc).

I know AAL is probably in some trouble.

CCity Zero and Sajan like this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

3. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

My cuz has been right a lot of times in land, stock deals. He told me to invest in airline stocks instead of medical stocks (where he spent almost a decade to master).

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Is your cuz an Oil Witch?

peleincubus likes this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't think anybody knows what happened with DISCB. Wonder if it was an algorithm that went bonkers or somebody fat-fingered trades. BTW, exchanges post trading halts on their websites. Some of them may have feeds you can tap into for free. I don't know if they're delayed or anything, though. Stocks can be halted multiple times during the day, but in that case I have no idea what you'd trade on... it'd just be throwing darts. DISCB looks like it was halted at least 10 times that day and the reason code was LUDP which is just a volatility halt. You'd need to know what the halt code was to make some type of guess as to why it was being halted.

I just looked it up and NASDAQ offers trading halt searches for free, and they have an RSS feed... http://nasdaqtrader.com/Trader.aspx?id=TradeHalts#

CCity Zero likes this.
  6. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Man halts suck. I got in UAVS Thursday night and set limit to sell at $5. Ended up at $3 something because the damn thing was halted so many times. It was a clear pump and dump but saw it coming. Still made some good profit but should have had much more. DISCB was likely the same situation but a much higher scale. Wouldn’t be surprised if something behind the scenes was going on that may get looked into, but who knows.

The halt site @Dr of Dunk listed is the best I know of for the NASDAQ or any for that matter. I always have it open when actively trading.

CCity Zero likes this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right on the halts, I definitely agree it'd be dangerous to jump in one. I have been in stocks that were halted and it sucks for sure. I mean like on this one here DISCB - even if I had one of the early alerts I don't think I'd trust it to keep going, I would think of it like roulette/gambling at that point.

Thanks for the tip on the feeds though, I think this could be helpful if it's a stock you're in and for some reason not watching it - basically backup alert maybe.

I also agree with you on this being some mistake, it's wild to see it occur this way with the movement. This wasn't even one I noticed until randomly reviewing things. I also didn't trade much Friday though.

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Awesome man, thanks for the heads up.

On UAVS I mentioned it early here, but unfortunately missed the crazy PND climb, I was busy focusing on contracts I was moving, and didn't get back in. Once I saw it really took off I didn't enter for a 3rd time because I knew I missed it.

UAVS was wild though, a lot of people posting rumors everywhere that Amazon was going to partner, I don't think anything was official and it basically cratered once the deadline passed (at least I'm assuming, especially once the bottom fell out). I knew from a few tips it would be good, but never expected it to get more than $1-2 before going back down. I also stopped following it after 2nd time.. , I profited on both but missed the crazy part of the climb. Regardless I'm glad you made profit, $5 definitely would have been nice though, and halts really suck.

One question, on UAVS when you got in, was it from all the chatter or did you catch it from looking for certain setup? I'm just curious and you definitely don't need to be specific if it's something you don't want to share, especially some setup. I was just wondering.

Unfortunately I bought/sold same day, once on the 24th and then 27th iirc (yes, profit is profit, but 400%+ is better etc), I just can't believe I let it drop off my radar. I fully intended to come back for the real climb... This was definitely one I shouldn't have missed.

The nice thing on trading is there's always more trades.

davidio840 likes this.
  9. Sajan

Sajan Member

I got in on UAVS at 0.98 cents on monday. I sold it at 0.94 the same day...didn't take the amazon rumors seriously.

then on Wed my buddy mentioned it to me..i was like well...let's go in. so this time my buy price was 1.39.
    it jumped to 2.4 AH...once it got to 4 the next day, i decided to sell half (hindsight: should have sold it all).

it kept going to 5 but as soon as the conf call ended, it cratered, i saw it go from 5 to 2.92 but before i could sell the rest, it got halted. when it unhalted it was at 1.5...halted again...1.1 halted again...

then TDA kept warning me saying my sell price is too low from my previous one and kept rejecting my limit order. i was like fine, sell it at market!
    well luckily it bounced up and i got out at 1.27.

got a 90% return!
    at one point i was up close to 280%. oh well. got greedy. got burned with half. but at least i had the right mindset to sell half.

CCity Zero likes this.
  10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Bad move, they are the next Amazon.

11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

On TDA does it reject your limit orders often? Or do you notice it just on stocks that are moving like a PND?

Was just curious. And yeah def understand, glad you got profit regardless, I saw some people buying in $4 mark iirc... Those were def newer traders but.... Ouch

On a side note I'd rather have your experience, haha, like I was in this one at 0.609 sold for quick profits at 0.69

And repeated 0.73-0.93, then completely went to playing other stuff with intention of coming back.. I don't think I've made a mistake like that in a long time. I mean I made money elsewhere, but this would have been so much easier - less moves/work and more profit, don't get me wrong it worked out okay but not quite like taking a stock from 61 cents to $4/5.

#9811 CCity Zero, May 3, 2020
    Last edited: May 3, 2020
  12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Been trading X calls... Not too exciting but up

13. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

14. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

BTW, is it time to put Warren OTP?

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

MSFT went in with 180 call by Friday, I am going to probably get rid of it way ahead but it's working atm.

X is still in play for calls.

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I think he does stuff I question but he's Still relevant, I also think he does things sometimes to throw people off. Obviously I know Berk got out of airlines, and the statements over the weekend added to the dips, but he knows how to work the market still.

Sure, he doesn't like Tesla/BTC but they'll come out ahead of this like all the rich guys. Maybe not as high as it could of been but they don't need to.

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

USO/SQQQ are certainly not going great on some positions I have..

18. jsingles

jsingles Member

Up 106% on the day with WTRH and MVIS. Both of which I feel like could keep going, especially WTRH with ER in the next 10 days. Have Call options on both for May 15. Still time to get in, I think.

CCity Zero likes this.
  19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, wtrh I was going to buy in on. Meant to this morning with options. Currently timing exit for MSFT call, don't really feel like holding overnight.

MVIS, I was going to go in on but didn't get back to.

Do you know on mvis if anything official on partnership, or is it still rumor?

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

Man. that's awesome. Buddy is up too. I think he bought in at 1.15