1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best One Season Rockets Lineup

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Apr 27, 2020.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Game being played by today's rules, D'Antoni is the coach

Hakeem 93/94
    Harden 17/18/19
    Drexler 95
    Paul 18
    Artest 09 (he did not change his name till 2011)

Bench

Francis 01 (40% from 3 point range) OR Mobley 02 OR Beverley 13
    Capela 19
    Ariza 16 OR Parsons 13 OR Battier (No Stats All Star)
    Tomjonavich 74 or Present Day PJ

WHAT NO MOSES, YAO OR TMAC?

Moses and Yao seem like creatures of their era, I don't see Moses or Yao being as good in a pace & space NBA. I would leave them, though of course I certainly could be wrong. I am guessing that Rudy T can be a stretch 4, but at least he can rebound off the bench if needed.

TMac - f that guy, his best days were past when he was here anyway. His 3 point shooting was suspect. PASS, even though no videos of him doing this, and , even though he would clearly average 40 if he played today :rolleyes:

It's weird to have Metta World Peace on this team but I think we underrate how good he was.

It's weird to have Francis/Mobley but those guys were actually really good 3 point shooters at their peak. I didn't pick Kenny because enough with Kenny already. Granted you probably don't need them to provide perimeter offense off the bench because the starting 5 is so loaded.

#1 SamFisher, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Zboy, mikol13 and B-Bob like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Love Beverley, but no way I'm taking him or Jeans Model over 05 TMac.

Also shoutout to MIP year Aaron Brooks. I wanna see a Francis, Murphy, Westbrook, Brooks, Harden, Beverley, Lowry, Paul, Cassell team.. Whats defense?

Having pretty much any combo of Ariza, Covington, Tucker, Moute, Battier, Artest, Maxwell, Elie, Horry in the all wing small ball era on would be dirty.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Tmac 05 hakeem 94 drex 95 Paul 18 harden 19

eliefor3 likes this.
  4. SamFisher

So I made this team play the Dantoni way. Brooks is a disaster on defense and he can't be hidden in a switching scheme. Offense isn't worth it, which is why Beverley probably beats out Francis and Cuttino

For some reason I forgot about 1995 Horry. He clearly could be the backup big on the second unit.

HP3 likes this.
  5. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

If you trying to build the best team and not just have the best players. Robert Horry has to be on your list. One of the best role players ever. 7 for 7 in finals. Clutch shot after clutch shot.

6. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

If you had a player that never failed to make it past round 1... And a player that never was a starter to make it to round 1...

7. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Lol at Artest over McGrady... Artest was straight trash for us, especially relative to the hype. McGrady had SEVERAL years in Houston all way better than Artest's one mediocre year for us. And your reason was shooting? Artest did nothing but throw up bricks as a Rocket (esp in the playoffs), and he didn't even have the playmaking ability to make up for it. Was criminally overrated defensively, too. Battier was far more productive for us guarding the superstars.

I get some Rockets fans hate McGrady these days, but don't let the hate blind you. He still played hard and played well for us for several seasons, and prob would have won a couple titles in Houston if he and Yao could have stayed healthy... I feel certain that the 07-08 and 08-09 teams were unbeatable if healthy. Just a shame how it all ended.

But hell, even if you don't want to put McGrady up there, there's still a ton of guys who deserve it more than that b!tch Artest, and who would be better fits on a star-studded team. Battier, Ariza, Tucker...

8. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

‘95 Finals Horry was comparable to Scottie Pippen In any of his finals runs.

9. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Think you misquoted. What does Robert Horry have to do with this?

10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Moses would dominate in any era.... Yao's lack of mobility could have been an issue... but Moses would do just fine... imo...

krmclaughlin likes this.
  11. SamFisher

I'm using Rockets seasons only. Horry best years came after he left.

12. SamFisher

Ummm, yeah, Artest shot 40% from 3 and was a 5 position defender, all defensive team in 2009.

If you're lining up Harden and Paul you could take 3 Ron Artests next to them and win 70 games.

#12 SamFisher, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    HP3 and Zboy like this.
  13. fattz

fattz Member

94 Hakeem
    86 Sampson
    95 Drexler
    18 Harden
    18 Paul

Bench:
    20 Westbrook
    05 TMac
    86 Barkley
    09 Arrest
    95 Horry

14. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I'm still heavily researching my lineup and won't publish it until this Friday, but I always forget Otis Thorpe was an All-Star one year in Houston.

[​IMG]

BigM likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

MDA was a creature of his era, he resonated so well with PGs or combo guards but he doesn't develop PFs and Cs that can't p&r or are not good at it.

Steve Kerr took his thing and ran with it, so will others.

Nick Nurse, Brad Stevens, those are the newer coaches.

16. SamFisher

Bored Dwight Howard^

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am just semi mad that an analytics GM couldn't find a young, analytical coach in this modern decade.

The rookie coach we found was Kevin McHale.

If that failed, we could always fall back on someone like MDA.

SamFisher likes this.
  18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

No way I would leave Horry off of this roster. Pretty much started the stretch 4 position and makes winning championship level plays.

if Artest stays I could see him play a Draymond type of game. Underrated passer and good defender. Not to mention I like a little crazy on my teams.

Deckard and SamFisher like this.
  19. SamFisher

He would, I'm worried about him in a switching defense though.

kjayp likes this.
  20. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Starters:
    Hakeem
    Thorpe
    Horry
    Maxwell
    Smith

Bench:
    Sampson
    Drexler