1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Jan 2, 2020.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I like the pick. Heard a lot of hype about him all offseasons. Didn't think he would make it out of the 1st.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Let's be real yall...the pass rush Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked last year, it was almost non-existent.

Dline, any position on the dline, was a need they hadn't even addressed yet.

bcast89 likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

42. Jaguars - Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado (6-1, 227)

Dane Brugler: Shenault has elite football instincts with the ball in his hands and often starts running before finishing the catch, which is usually a negative trait, but his focus and athletic twitch make it a strength to his game. He is a beast after the catch (58.1% of his receiving yards came after contact) and it is very tough for single-tacklers to finish him, but his physicality as a ball carrier leads to more punishment on his body. Overall, Shenault is still young as a route runner and his injury history is a concern, but his versatile package of size, acceleration and natural instincts make him a playmaker with the ball in his hands.

Bob McGinn/Anonymous Scouts: Classic boom-or-bust prospect. “Mental and injury,” one scout replied when asked why Shenault was his choice to bust. “He’s always been the best guy on his team. You put him in one position and he’s just going to flounder. He’s head and shoulders in the bust factor above everyone else. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a big fall.” Played split end for the Buffaloes but also did extensive damage as a ‘wildcat’ quarterback. “Little bit immature but, my God, is he big and powerful,” a second scout said. “His ’18 film was way better than his ’19 film. He’s a power guy, and those guys play.” He’s coming off of core muscle surgery in late February and also has had shoulder and turf toe surgery. “He’s kind of got some Cordarrelle Patterson to him in terms of his role,” a third scout said. “Not as explosive. With that body type, I don’t see A.J. Brown. A.J. made so many contested catches and was so productive for three years. A.J. was a receiver when he came out. This guy is an athlete. He’ll have to make a transition to a receiver, and I think he’s going to have a tough time.” Finished with 149 catches for 1,943 (13.0) and 10 TDs. “He’s not bad, just not a lot of personality,” said a fourth scout. “Kind of low-key.” Wonderlic of 14. Small hands (9). A third-year junior from DeSoto, Texas.

BACKGROUND: Laviska (lu-visk-uh) “Viska” Shenault Jr. (shuh-nault) grew up in the Dalla area and was a basketball-first athlete, picking up football in middle school as a running back and linebacker. He gave up basketball after his freshman year at DeSoto and moved to wide receiver in football where he played on the “FreshmanB” team as a freshman and JV as a sophomore. A late bloomer, Shenault joined the track team (long sprints, jumps and relays) and dedicated himself in the weight room, which helped him develop physically, joining the varsity team as a junior where he posted 27 catches for 477 yards and three touchdowns. He emerged as one of the best players in the state as a senior, leading DeSoto to a perfect 16-0 record and the school’s first Class 6A Division-II state championship. Playing receiver, tight end and H-back, Shenault finished his final prep season with 46 catches for 825 yards and nine touchdowns, earning a spot on the 2016 U.S. Under-19 National Team.

A three-star wide receiver recruit, Shenault was the No. 73 ranked receiver in the 2017 recruiting class and collected offers from several high-profile programs like Alabama and LSU, but he verballed early to Colorado as a junior and stuck with his commitment. K.D. Dixon, his receiver teammate and best friend at DeSoto, also committed to the Buffs as part of the same recruiting class. Shenault’s father (Laviska Sr.), who passed his Miami Dolphins’ fandom to his five children, was killed in July 2009 when he was struck by traffic on a busy Dallas highway while his family witnessed the accident from their nearby car (10-year old Laviska Jr. was in the front seat). His mother (Annie) played college basketball at Division-III Dubuque where she holds the school records for points (25.6) and rebounds (15.5) per game. His younger brother (La’Vontae) is a rising sophomore receiver at Colorado. Shenault elected to skip his senior season and enter the 2020 NFL Draft.

STRENGTHS: Physically put-together athlete with a developed body…outstanding play strength, especially in his lower body…hits the burst button when nearing contact (like a running back) and it often takes multiple tacklers to ground him…always looking to create after the catch, displaying excellent awareness of his surroundings…deceptive route speed, attacking leverage and smoothly accelerating out of the drive phase…able to turn simple slants into explosive plays…quick hands to catch and secure (only seven drops in college)…natural body control and thrives over the middle of the field…strong-willed blocker…logged snaps as a wildcat quarterback, averaging 6.7 yards per rush (42/280/7) in college…humble, introverted personality, but competes with a violent mentality.

WEAKNESSES: Not a true burner…lacks suddenness at the top of his patterns…inconsistent tempo in his route running and needs to better set up defensive backs to find their blind spot…needs to improve his hand technique and physicality to more efficiently defeat press…tends to misplay the deep ball when he waits for it instead of attacking…aggressive play style has led to several injuries: missed three games as a sophomore due to a turf toe injury (October 2018), which required offseason surgery (December 2018); also had offseason surgery on his shoulder, sitting out 2019 spring practice; missed one game as a junior due to a core muscle injury (September 2019), requiring surgery (March 2020) that sidelined him for most of the draft process.

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Colorado, Shenault was the “X” receiver in former offensive coordinator Jay Johnson’s scheme, lining up across the formation and making plays from a variety of offensive alignments. A physically impressive athlete, he showed steady development as both a receiver and blocker and became just the seventh Colorado player to reach 1,000-yards receiving in a season. Shenault has elite football instincts with the ball in his hands and often starts running before finishing the catch, which is usually a negative trait, but his focus and athletic twitch make it a strength to his game. He is a beast after the catch (58.1% of his receiving yards came after contact) and it is very tough for single-tacklers to finish him, but his physicality as a ball carrier leads to more punishment on his body.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Well, we did have DJ for the past few years so we saw a pretty good push up the middle for JJ.

I dont know much about this guy but I know DTs can be had way later in the draft.

coachbadlee likes this.
  5. donkeypunch

I wanna know why Indy jumped up? Unless they hear Tampa wanted to move up for Taylor, everybody else in front of them didnt really have a need for a RB

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Jaguars planning on trading Fournette is why I'm guessing.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Damn, Bears love TEs.

43. Bears - Cole Kmet, TE, Notre Dame (6-6, 262)

Dane Brugler: Kmet is an easy player to like (both on and off the field) with outstanding ball skills and body control to dominate the catch point. While he must continue learning the details of route-running and blocking, he has never played only one sport so year-round dedication to football will certainly accelerate his development. Overall, Kmet is a dependable and physically impressive pass catcher who doesn’t have a deal-breaking weakness to his game, projecting as an NFL-ready “Y” target similar to Jason Witten when he was coming out of Tennessee.

Bob McGinn/Anonymous Scouts: Kmet reminded one scout of ex-Cowboy Jason Witten (6-5 ½, 260, 4.67). “If you want an all-around guy, kind of a Kyle Rudolph-type guy, he’s it,” said another scout. “He’s faster than Kyle, but he doesn’t have the ball skills. He’s had some durability issues. He’s got great intangibles. He can run. He can catch. He doesn’t have an elite trait but you really love the body type and everything about him.” Third-year junior with 60 catches (43 in 2019) for 691 (11.5) and six TDs. “He’s not a talent like Vernon Davis or Evan Engram,” a third scout said. “He’s more of a throwback, classic Y tight end. He’s solid. He won’t fail.” From Lake Barrington, Ill. “I don’t see a great blocker and I don’t see a great receiver,” said a fourth scout. “I see a guy that’s more of a U. I don’t see a great Y. He reminds me a lot of the (Drew) Sample guy that came out last year out of Washington and plays with the Bengals. Some of the workout (numbers) were better than the player he is. I don’t see first round. I think he’s always going to be a solid No. 2 (tight end), maybe a good No. 3.” Wonderlic of 28.

BACKGROUND: Cole Kmet grew up as a multi-sport athlete in the Chicago suburbs, although baseball was his main focus over football throughout middle school. He played both sports at St. Viator and led the baseball team to the 2017 3A state championship as a pitcher and centerfielder. As a senior, Kmet was widely considered the best high school baseball player in the state, impressing as a hitter (.435 batting average, 12 home runs, 46 RBI) and left-handed pitcher (7-3 record with 2.11 ERA and 96 strikeouts). On the football field, he played tight end on offense and defensive end on defense. A senior captain, he finished the 2016 season with 48 catches for 773 yards and four scores, adding 32 tackles, 5.0 tackles for loss and 4.0 sacks on defense. Kmet collected a number of accolades, including second-team all-state honors.

A four-star tight end recruit out of high school, Kmet was the No. 3 tight end recruit in the country behind only Colby Parkinson and Brock Wright (Kmet’s backup at Notre Dame). Kmet collected double-digit offers, but knew early on that Notre Dame was his destination, committing to the Irish during his junior season. However, he had another decision to make because the Chicago White Sox made him a lucrative six-figure offer to sign (and be a fifth-round draft pick in the 2017 MLB Draft). Kmet elected not to sign, instead choosing to play baseball and football at Notre Dame. His father (Frank) played defensive line at Purdue (1988-91) and was drafted in the fourth round (No. 111 overall) of the 1992 NFL Draft by the Buffalo Bills. His maternal uncle (Jeff Zgonina) also played on the Purdue defensive line (1989-92) and was drafted in the seventh round (No. 185 overall) of the 1993 NFL Draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers, playing 17 seasons in the NFL for eight different teams. Zgonina coached several seasons in the NFL, including as the defensive line coach for the San Francisco 49ers in 2018, and currently serves as the assistant defensive line coach for the Washington Redskins. Primarily a left-handed reliever for the Irish, Kmet finished his college baseball career with 10 saves, appearing in 34 games over two seasons. He elected to skip his senior season and give up baseball to enter the 2020 NFL Draft.

STRENGTHS: NFL-ready body type with room to get stronger…large, accepting hands with excellent hand-eye coordination…catches well in stride to become a threat as a ball carrier…strong acceleration to quickly enter his route…doesn’t labor in his change of direction, naturally transitioning his weight at the stem…uses his body strength and toughness to trample would-be tacklers…enough upper body power to create movement as a blocker when he stays square and runs his legs…efficient job on pin action to help clear a path to the corner…is rarely moved when his technique is right…extremely driven and found a way to balance two sports and two majors while at Notre Dame…hard to find a former coach or teammate who doesn’t talk about him in the highest regard, using words like “winner,” “elite character” and “once in a lifetime young man.”

WEAKNESSES: Still an entry-level blocker from a consistency standpoint…upright in his pass-sets and late with his punch…must improve his set-up quickness and blocking angles to survive in pass pro…put some disappointing reps on tape as a lead blocker, lowering his pads, but bracing for contact instead of initiating it…guilty of head-ducking and losing balance as a run blocker…lacks elite speed or suddenness for the position…not the most detailed route-runner and must learn how to use his hips, eyes and strides to get open…quick healer and toughness isn’t a concern, but he missed several games due to injury over his career: suffered a high right ankle sprain (September 2018) that forced him to miss two games; required surgery after breaking his right clavicle (August 2019), missing the first two games of the 2019 season…is baseball still a future option for him?

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Notre Dame, Kmet was the starting tight end in head coach Brian Kelly’s pro style scheme, splitting his snaps inline, on the wing and detached. Following in the footsteps of players like Golden Tate and Jeff Samardzija, he is the latest Notre Dame product who split his time between baseball and football in South Bend, choosing the NFL over MLB (like Tate). Kmet is an easy player to like (both on and off the field) with outstanding ball skills and body control to dominate the catch point. While he must continue learning the details of route-running and blocking, he has never played only one sport so year-round dedication to football will certainly accelerate his development. Overall, Kmet is a dependable and physically impressive pass catcher who doesn’t have a deal-breaking weakness to his game, projecting as an NFL-ready “Y” target similar to Jason Witten when he was coming out of Tennessee.

8. donkeypunch

Good point.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

What an idiotic pick by the bears and the browns just took my dude

10. bcast89

bcast89 Member

Good pick by Cleveland. Wanted him for us though.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Dam!! Is everybody in this 2nd round from Houston?

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

44. Browns - Grant Delpit, S, LSU (6-3, 213)

Dane Brugler: With his football IQ and athleticism, Delpit is quick to trigger vs. the pass and the run, trusting his keys and never second guessing himself. He often arrives too hot as a tackler and his overaggressive angles and poor finishing skills dent his batting average (there is no question that he was banged up in 2019 and how much that affected his production and performance is open to interpretation). Overall, Delpit needs to shore up his tackling inconsistency, but he is a rangy, smart and energetic player who quickly finds the football and attacks, projecting as an interchangeable NFL safety with starting potential.

Bob McGinn/Anonymous Scouts: Delpit declared a year early after starting all three seasons. “He’s probably the best (safety),” said one scout. “This guy is too big and fast, and has too good cover skills. He can be a tight-end eraser, which everybody’s looking for. He’s first-round worthy.” His best season was 2018, and he finished his career with 199 total tackles (17 ½ for loss), seven sacks, eight interceptions and 32 passes defensed. “I do like him,” a second scout said. “I wish Delpit played more effectively tackling the ball carrier this year. I’ve seen him do it better in past years. I think he’s a gifted guy athletically. I think he’s going to be a starter early.” He posted 27 on the Wonderlic. “I think he can cover tight ends,” a third scout said. “He’s a big guy. He can do a lot of good things, but I’m not a big fan. He played free safety most of the time, but I wouldn’t play him at free because he can’t tackle. He made all the tackles where the guy is coming to him. Anyone can make those. But when he had to tackle people in space he had a hard time. I think he has good coaches. They have good (defensive backs) come out every year. I don’t think it’s coaching. The kid has to do it. Does he have a skill set to do it? Yes, but I don’t know if he will.” Delpit is from Houston.

45. Buccaneers - Antoine Winfield Jr., S, Minnesota (5-9, 203)

Dane Brugler: Like his Pro Bowl father, Winfield is a smart player who understands angles and spacing, showing the opportunistic instincts and ball skills to go big-play hunting. While he is a composed athlete, his below average size and strength leave very little margin for error, lacking elite speed to easily recover. Overall, Winfield is a tough evaluation because his lack of length and top-tier athleticism frequently pops on film, but so does his football IQ, toughness and production, projecting as a potential starting safety or nickel in the NFL.

Bob McGinn/Anonymous Scouts: His father, Antoine, was voted to one Pro Bowl (2008) as a 14-year CB for the Bills and Vikings. “Love him – he’s just little,” said one scout. “He’s a starter. His interview … you talk about knock it out of the park. Omigosh. He might be one of the best interviews ever. The dad was a great player, and I don’t use great very often. He’s a hitter, too.” Winfield was limited to four games in 2017 because of a hamstring injury and four games in ’18 because of a Lisfranc tear. The medical is a concern for some teams. “That (manning the slot) is what makes him such a good player,” another scout said. “He’s so versatile. He ran well. You didn’t see a lot of elite burst and explosion but he was always there because he’s so heady. He’s a really good tackler. He’s not a very big guy and he’s got shorter arms (30 1/8). But he had such a good feel when he needed to cut guys, when he needed to wrap. Instinctive guys like that are hard to find. I just wanted to keep watching more of him.” He finished with 177 tackles (seven for loss), four sacks, nine picks (seven in ’19) and 15 passes defensed. He posted a Wonderlic of 20. “I wanted to kill him, but I can’t,” a third scout said. “He just earns your trust. This kid hits hard. Not as hard (as his father), but pretty close. Second round.” From Houston.

46. Broncos - KJ Hamler, WR, Penn State (5-9, 178)

Dane Brugler: A jitterbug athlete, Hamler is tough to corral due to his burst and balance, showing the twitch at the top of routes that makes him a nightmare to cover man-to-man. However, he will struggle vs. physical corners, competing with better confidence than play strength. Overall, Hamler’s diminutive size and shaky focus could limit the way he is deployed in an NFL offense, but his explosive speed has the potential to light up the scoreboard, projecting as high-upside playmaker in the slot.

Bob McGinn/Anonymous Scouts: Third-year sophomore. “He’s small, but his speed is rare,” said one scout. “He is electric after the catch. He’s a human joystick. He has home-run ability. You’re going to have to scheme him a little bit to get him the ball.” One scout said he had the worst hands in the draft. “He’s like a 50-50 guy,” said a second scout. “He probably has the best chance to bust because he can’t catch. He can stretch the field. He played tough. He went up for balls. The thing that killed me is he can be a return guy, but he just didn’t perform, which is weird. He was just average in every sense of the word.” Finished with 98 catches for 1,658 (16.9) and 13 TDs. “He would run across the formation and he wouldn’t even look and the quarterback is looking at him,” said another scout. “After seeing that three, four, five times, something was up with this kid. He’s a slot receiver. To play outside I think would be ridiculous. He is tiny. Third round.” From Pontiac, Mich, with a Wonderlic of 15.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Jeudy and Hamler to the Broncos. That’s pretty nuts if they pan out.

red5rocket likes this.
  14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Alongside Courtland Sutton

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yikes!

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. Fantasma Negro

With Lindsay and Gordon in the backfield

red5rocket likes this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

And Noah fant

red5rocket and Fantasma Negro like this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

There goes marlon

20. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Value pick! Dude has top 20 skill set, but I think injury history scared some teams off. A little boom/bust potential, but this was a great pick at 40. He can play up and down the line and if we get an edge like Darrell Taylor in 3rd, I could see Ross and JJ inside with Taylor/other EDGE with Mercilus at DE on passing downs.