1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[LINA] Harris County Coronvirus Response

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

She has really been tested this time around. I thought she did well by shutting the rodeo down. There are many key decisions yet to be made in the next few months.

Many things can be discussed:
    Tent Hospital at the Astrodomain
    $1000 fine for mask noncompliance
    Teamwork with Sylvester Turner

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I saw some conservative press criticizing her for the mask fine. I get the criticism, but really the sheriff isn't going to setting up mask traps everywhere and handing out fines to fill the coffers. It's the sort of thing you have in your back pocket so that if you come upon a problematic situation, you have a hammer in your toolbox to help you deal with it.

Separately, I think Hildalgo has got this job sewn up for the long term. It was kinda a fluke she won it, and I expected Republicans to try to challenge her next go round. But, we've had so much crisis for her to deal with, which has put her in the news and on TV a lot and built her name recognition and incumbency. I don't expect she'll have any very serious challenger unless she badly screws something up.

Deckard, ROXTXIA, edwardc and 4 others like this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

#WheresEd ;)

CometsWin likes this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

People trying to manufacture a mask fine narrative are children.

CometsWin likes this.
  6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A mask fine seems totally reasonable. We have the mask order but don't have a fine for it here in Los Angeles.

But if you go out without a mask you have a greater chance of getting yourself and others sick. That will place additional costs and burden on healthcare facilities and staff as well as make resources more scarce for other medical needs.

Having people who purposefully negligent pay some cost is perfectly reasonable. Add to that the hope that fewer people will be without masks. It sounds like a win/win.

edwardc and Invisible Fan like this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I guess an important question, for Houston and other places that require people to wear masks while shopping, and with a smaller than needed number of people that did wear masks... how do you increase mask use in stores? Especially when states and even the president seems to be suggesting "the danger is reducing"? And keeping in mind the main purpose of wearing the mask isn't protecting the wearer but others they may come in contact with?

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here, at least the stores that I've been to have security guards outside. If people don't wear masks they aren't allowed in the stores.

Deckard and edwardc like this.
  9. NewRoxFan

What prevents from removing the mask once in the store?

10. Newlin

Newlin Member

She’s just trying to save lives. Hard to be too critical of any of her actions at this point.

The mask requirement seems like a nonissue. Most people are already using masks, and I don’t expect cops to be giving out citations.

The tent hospital probably won’t be used, but the warnings coming from the experts at the federal level we’re pretty alarming just a few weeks ago. So, can’t blame her for wanting to prepare for the worst.

dmoneybangbang, Amiga, jcf and 2 others like this.
  11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Their conscience

jcf likes this.
  12. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I didn't know the only thing that separates us from being Communists was order to wear masks. I say the same thing when I see the no shirt, no shoes, no service policy. Thought this was America. I also take my infectious disease information from Sheriffs from Fort Bend.
    [​IMG]

13. conquistador#11

Like give me my manicure or death?

glynch likes this.
  14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Having minor officials snipe at each other is probably not helpful.

Ottomaton likes this.
  15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

You could really tell at the beginning of the crisis that she was deferring to Mayor Turner at almost every turn. It was obvious she was in over her head. She was also a terrible public speaker. She's really improved, so I guess she's getting the hang of it.

It really shows how strange the County Judge office is in Texas, and how powerful the Harris County one is. I would have personally preferred Ed Emmett during this crisis because he's been through it before and is an extremely experienced administrator (a county judge is more of an administrator than a politician).

I guess she's done OK though.

I have mixed feelings on the mask order. Yes, I think everybody should be wearing masks in public. Do I feel like it should be a fine-able requirement? I'm torn.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

FIRST THEY TAKE OUR RIGHT TO PEE IN SINGLE GENDER RESTROOMS!
    THEN THEY TAKE OUR RIGHT TO BREATHE FREELY!!!
    DIS IS COMMUNISM!!
    RAAAAAAWWWWWWRRRRRRHHGGGGGGGGGG

17. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

the guy doesn’t seem to realize Gov Abbott requires masks at state parks

edwardc likes this.
  18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

any one who is stopped by LE not wearing a mask, LE should provide them with a free one

if they refuse to wear them, then issue them a citation

19. edwardc

edwardc Member

have they even tested anyone he seems just like 45 got his head up his *ss not having a clue.

20. NewRoxFan

Since many people aren't wearing masks... I am not too confident that alone is enough of an inducement for correct behavior. And as elected officials and media talking heads talk more about "light at end of tunnel" and "its a Democrat hoax" I am wondering if the number wearing masks will decline.