1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] MLB suspends spring training, delays Opening Day at least two weeks

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RKREBORN, Mar 12, 2020.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

So just so we're clear, you think what we're doing now is okay until a vaccine is available sometime in early 2021?

If this we're gonna stop it in it's tracks then I would agree we should just hunker down and choke it out, but it won't unless we put the country on full house arrest. Short of that the virus is gonna be floating around, and yes I think "boredom" will start to play a major role in mental health when combined with the more obvious financial strain. I would be shocked if suicide rate in 2020 isn't off the charts ( not that "boredom" will the main reason for that, but it will play into it.)

My last post on the matter, I think the virus is here to stay for a while and we're gonna have to adjust to life with it for the time being instead of just going into hibernation.

The Beard likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No. With enough public immunity there will be less new cases. And more is known everyday about how patients respond in the ICU to certain treatments, vs which patients unfortunately don't have much of a fighting chance, regardless. Lastly you have several lab consortiums working on validated treatments for the symptoms... which goes a long way to handling the worst of patients before a vaccine is ever considered.

Other countries where the curve has flattened and numbers have diminished are getting back to normal activities... and there are no vaccines anywhere there either. Initial fears of "reactivation" haven't been as bad as some thought. Also more will be known whether or not you can use antibodies from those previously recovered, or those that have immunity, and validate a treatment.

See above. Things will improve. People having to distance for 2-3 months will seem very insignificant a full year from now. Its been less than a month here, even though it seems a helluva lot longer. Areas like Seattle and California, who instituted very early distancing/closures are now starting to see their numbers dissipate. Unfortunately, the rest of the country took about 2-3 weeks too long to figure that out (with some areas still foolishly debating whether they should, while they're running out of ICU beds and places to put dead bodies).

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't think I ever belittled mental health issues with any of my comments... not sure where you got that from.

There are going to be some unintended victims of these measures... but these measures have been instituted on a worldwide level in order to mitigate the worst of what this could be. Its worked in large countries already, and the US is starting to see pockets of improvement in areas that had a very early response to this.

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I agree with this fully

Suicide rates in bad economic conditions rise dramatically also, and the financial situation we are creating is enormous

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I never said that. I said no sports for this season was a very realistic scenario.... and if taking one season off is the extent, these leagues will survive that.

Its certainly a form of a prison, despite the "luxuries", when you're not allowed to go anywhere or make any unilateral decisions on your own of what you want to do. You're not allowed to have visitors. Can't have families. Some of these players will not be able to be there when their wives go into labor. Some may not be able to leave if a family member becomes ill. Yes, I understand they all want to get paid... but its not going to just be a unanimous/resounding "yes".

If I don't explicitly say "you could be right", I'm sorry... I consider this venue to be a strict back/forth sharing of ideas/opinions. Nobody is right, nobody is wrong.... but there are always some views that may be either mis-informed or be proven with additional evidence. Obviously I wouldn't spend time on here discussing things if I didn't respect the opinions/viewpoints that everybody has to share.

Again, I wasn't accusing anybody of hate.

6. The Beard

Didn’t say you belittled them, I just don’t think a large majority of people understand that there is a significant percentage of the population that can’t just say “oh ok, I have to sit at home with nothing normal going on”. It’s a medical situation for them

Wasn’t meant as taking a shot at you, was just stating that fact

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And that's a very good point. Hopefully measures can be instituted, whether virtual visits with therapists, or virtual support groups, that can help mitigate these. I know most therapists offer online options as a baseline already. Medications should still be able to be refilled. And while virtual support groups may not be as anonymous on surface... there are ways to get around that. Hell, what we do here is a form of therapy... or support... in an anonymous fashion.

Unfortunately, (not trying to be dramatic), I think more about people who actually don't have a home to sit around and do nothing.... or countries like India where a huge percentage of workers relied on serving in other people's houses that is no longer allowed, and these people are basically just lining the streets worried about dying.

8. The Beard

Many people, depending on where they live, can’t be with their wives when they have babies right now.

My dad is 87 recently diagnosed with lung cancer and has struggled with dementia for quite a while. Part of deciding on how when and where to get him treatment unfortunately was determined by hospitals that would let my mom go with him for treatment, because even with dementia we were told at some places he would possibly have to go by himself which isn’t actually possible

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Most L&D units now are able to test spouses prior to letting them be with their partners. And even if they can't, at least they can be with them immediately after at home, when help is most needed.

Sorry to hear that. I know in situations when patients can't make medical decision making on their own, they are allowed to have a companion... provided they have passed the necessary screening precautions to ensure they aren't at risk.

10. The Beard

Thanks, and yea if push came to shove we probably could have got her in with him but with the hospital telling us it wasn’t guaranteed we were not gonna take that chance

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I can't imagine the players will agree to be away from their families for over 4 months straight. I think the whole discussion is so implausible that it's mostly fodder just to give ESPN something to talk about today.

dmoneybangbang and msn like this.
  13. Major

Major Member

They aren't planning on playing the whole season in Arizona, so the 4.5 months of quarantining isn't really in the picture. They are talking about starting the season there and then adjusting as circumstances warrant. Its based on the idea that stay-at-home orders and such will start getting lifted in different places in May/June. If they still can't run games in other cities by July - or people can't travel between states - then the season will probably just ultimately just get cancelled again because the situation would be way worse than they were projecting.

The Beard likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

After several years of research and observation, I am still unable to determine if Jeff Passan's head is freakishly large, or his shoulders are hilariously narrow.

dmoneybangbang and msn like this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its the ears...

16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If this is the mindset of the middle class players (of which McHugh is)... then I don’t think “getting paid” will be enough of a driving force.

yes, the plan isn’t supposed to entail quarantining the entire time... which is why most players will just suggest starting the season whenever that time will come.

The reason why teams want to move forward now is because their local media rights tv deals are contingent upon it...

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Travel restrictions and mass gathering still being prevented in other cities in July is more likely to be indicative of the U.S. trying to prevent future outbreaks than be indicative of one of the worst scenarios.

19. The Beard

There will certainly be players on both sides and I would expect to see a few tweets like this one from the more outspoken ones, which Mrs McHugh definitely is

I seriously doubt there is a plan to do this for 4.5 months either, will likely be a way to get started before moving into more empty stadiums at some point and then hopefully stadiums with people. Taiwan is allowing 150 season ticket holders per game into their games which are about to start

It’s a complicated situation for sure, I just think if they have the ability to do multi weekly testing it will work. Especially if the finger prick test gets approved by the FDA with 15 minute results. You could even take a break after a month of games or something along those lines if you have mass ability of easy and accurate testing. That is the key

20. Major

Major Member

I'm not talking about mass gatherings. I'm talking about being able to play games (with no or limited fans) in home stadiums. Or husbands and wives being able to travel to see their spouse without having to then quarantine for 14 days upon return. Or non-essential businesses being open. If those things aren't allowed, then the situation is far worse than people are anticipating.

If movie theaters and restaurants are open across the country, players won't be quarantined away from the families in hotels in Arizona.