1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buying a gun.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr.Scarface, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

With everything going AND we just watched “Contagion”(her 1st time), my is finally going to allow me to buy a gun. Already have an idea of what I want. Question, can I buy online (ship to dealer) or just go to a gun shop?

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

This isn't binary. You can do either.

wizkid83 likes this.
  3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I've bought from both, but if you are new to guns, it's way easier to just go to the store. Usually the salespeople are highly knowledgeable and can get you set up with all the things that you'll need once you buy it... storage, ammo, holster, optics, cleaning supplies. Please come back and let us know what type of boom stick you get! Buying a gun is a great feeling - very liberating.

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Don't you have a gun nut buddy? This is Texas, after all. (if you're in Texas).

I just bought a pistol cheap off of one of said gun nut buddies: a Taurus Millennium PT140 Pro. I've always just owned a shotgun for home defense but I want something I can take with me when I leave. Gun ranges are closed so I don't think I can get my CHL now but riding in the glove is good enough for me. I also bought a quick access handgun safe and am going to put a lock on the drawer in my bedside table where I keep it.

tinman likes this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Remember, your more likely to die by gun if you own one vs not.

Accidents, suicide, and domestic homicide increase greatly.

I know the thoughts of saving your self from a home invasion sounds very enticing, but your much more likely to get drunk play with it and kill your self than have some sort of heroic movie-like scene.

I don't trust my self or my chica enough to own one :oops:

6. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

I bought a Glock 19 last year. It’s a great reliable handgun for those of us not as knowledgeable about firearms.

Admittedly, when I saw the ammo flying off the shelves at the beginning of CV19 being taken seriously in the US, I made an impulse purchase. I bought a Kel Tec KSG 25 shotgun. It’s a little intimidating but better to have and not need than need and not have, I guess.

To answer your question, I found it useful as a first time buyer to go to the shop and speak to the sales people. I found that, in speaking to friends who owned guns, they only draw on their individual and likely limited experience whereas a gun seller has a broader knowledge, in general.

tinman likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Jeeeebus. You watched a movie and now you know what kind of gun you need?

Go to a range and try out a few before you buy anything. Talk to people. Carter's Country is a good place, I'm assuming they're still there.

Nook, Mazulis, Eric Riley and 6 others like this.
  8. Exiled

Exiled Member

Life insurance

calcium likes this.
  9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I'd suggest Academy fyi

don't listen to the haters, guns are cool

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Id definitely say the Kel Tec was an impulse buy, but a bad ass impulse buy. Well done

donkeypunch likes this.
  11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

LOL. I happen to see this thread on the main bbs page and click on it to find out the poster that created it is the angry man that loves to call everybody an idiot and lashes out if anybody disagrees with him on a message board. Yeah.... you need a gun like a person with food poisoning needs an enema.

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

I loaded up on BBs.

Anyways you can still buy guns from Walmart I believe. But a large dog could be adopted for less and would be more effective.

calcium likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Apparently you can *always* buy guns at Walmart.

God Bless America?

14. SemisolidSnake

Ignore people playing armchair psychologist. Especially if you're a first time gun owner, I would go talk to an actual gun shop. The people there will be knowledgeable, you'll get to feel how different firearms feel to you, and, most importantly, you can discuss proper training and certification. Or you may decide against it, but go talk to the experts. That's being responsible and doing your diligence.

15. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

S&W .38 special airweight. PERFECT portable self defense gun. It’s a revolver so it’ll never jam. Guaranteed up to 5 rounds will be expelled with 5 pulls of the trigger. Safe because you don’t have to check to see if there’s one in the chamber after you remove a clip (just open the wheel to see what you got). Extremely lightweight and recoil isn’t too bad. I put a new grip on mine but that’s the only change

16. PhiSlammaJamma

Wait. Hit the pause button. You are saying you watched Contagion twice.

17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Revolvers can jam. For instance, if the ejector rod gets loose the cylinder may not open. If it happens at the wrong time it is much worse than dealing with most semi-auto jams because you will probably need a hammer to clear the cylinder. Most semi auto jams I can clear by hand or with a flat surface like a table edge. My problem with revolvers though is more the caliber choices. 357 is too much for someone inexperienced. I would rather have 9mm over 38 special especially out of a short barrel. 9mm is traveling over 1000 fps vs 800 fps for typical 38 special loads. LCR in 9mm for a revolver would be my choice. For semi auto to carry I would go Sig 365, M&P Shield, or Glock 43. For a home defense gun I would say Glock 19 or 23 if you want to step up to 40 cal. Nothing wrong with Smith and Wesson M&Ps, HK vp9, or Sig 320 either.

CometsWin likes this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Any recommendations for home defense?

19. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I’ve got a S&W 500 wheel gun with the shortest barrel. In the high likelihood that I miss any perps breaking into the casa, the muzzle blast will have them soiling themselves as they scamper away. I do worry though about collateral damage as that bullet travels through two or three of my neighbors’ homes.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Sign Clowney as a start

Nook, CometsWin and heypartner like this.