1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[B/R Zach Buckley] “Ranking the NBA’s Best Small-Ball Lineups this Season”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ApacheWarrior, Apr 4, 2020.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...as-best-small-ball-lineups-this-season#slide4

5) Thunder. Lineup Score 1705.6
    Chris Paul........Dennis Schroder.......Shai G-A....Gallinari......Nerlens Noel
    +20.8 net rating
    Over 82 minutes

4) Rockets. Lineup Score 1754.8
    Westbrook........Harden.............House.........Covington............Tucker
    +10.7 net rating
    Over 164 minutes

3) Heat. Lineup Score 1846.8
    Nunn...........Butler...........Duncan Robinson...........Derrick Jones..........Bam Adebayo
    +11.4 net rating
    Over 162 minutes

2) Clippers. Lineup Score 2142
    Reggie Jackson........Lou Williams.........Shamert............JaMychal Green........Montrez Harrell
    +35.7 net rating
    Over 60 minutes

1) Celtics. Lineup Score 2350
    Kemba........Jaylen Brown...........Tatum..........Hayward............Theis
    +12.5 net rating
    Over 188 minutes

I’m of the mindset that the Rockets were dogging it to get a counter seeding to the Nuggets. Rockets would’ve
    beaten all these teams if the playoffs had occurred.......will beat them if the playoffs do take place.

Please Discuss

Go Rockets!!

#1 ApacheWarrior, Apr 4, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    D-rock and DeBeards like this.
  2. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Didn't read that yet, but why intentionally missed 2 key pieces, PG n Kawaii as for clippers.
    By adding M.Morris, i don't know whether we should think less of a LA small ball lineup like this one or not (tho this might not be excellent 3ball team) : A. Davis, LBJ, Danny Green, M.Morris, Caruso.
    Anyway, strategically i would love to see we setting jokic up for a decapitation and ambush them in first round.

p.s. Its the best time for the beard to respawn w/ full hp, considering his sluggish performances since Dec.

#2 DeBeards, Apr 4, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    ApacheWarrior likes this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Excellent observation on Clippers. I was focused on the few minutes (Thunder as well) and completely overlooked the players in that 5-man lineup. Like Boston, the Clippers could probably place multiple
    lineups with different combinations of players.

Houston can match most teams in my opinion. Hope we get a chance to see it play out for this season if it’s in the cards.

saleem likes this.
  4. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

In comprison with clippers, our 9-man lineup and thus offense, is too predictable, especially when EGo couldn't find his touch, and DMC along with Thabo no more than 5-min apiece allowed nearly got rotten on bench.

I don't agree w/ this in the article: 'House, Covington and Tucker are all versatile defenders who also give the Rockets a combined 5.7 catch-and-shoot threes per game.'
    In past 10+ games before hiatus, House proved no more than a G-league superstar. Any of our weakpoint could be missed out by opp in playoff, not mention such an open wound.

saleem likes this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I don't think the Rockets were dogging it. I think they just have to play too hard to match up so they lost against every possible scrub team.

DeBeards and saleem like this.
  6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's always good to hear from you Apache. Take good care of yourself. I'm fine.

DeBeards and ApacheWarrior like this.
  7. saleem

Yes, that's the limitation of small ball.

DeBeards likes this.
  8. BigBum

BigBum Member

MDA is good at small lineup. When it comes to playoffs, he is different.

3 don’t fall and can’t teach rebound.

saleem likes this.
  9. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

God speed to nba and worldwide including rockets.

God speed to new york.

House was the one bright spot and bonafide most improved player.

Capeala trade was unfortunate as I would have liked to see Williamson/capeala matchup for years to come.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, like the load was going to be any easier during the playoffs.

Cheap Tilman wanted no waiters or napkins so Murray gave him takeout only with the budget he’s given.

Now wonders where the fine dining crowd went.

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

It’s not easy to prove effort.....tanking......or dogging it.......but here are some numbers per basketball-reference.com :
    People are free to use their own interpretation of the numbers.

Player........12 games (10 W-2 L’s...Dal 1/31/20 to Bos 02/29/20)............then 4 games (all losses)
    House........38.5% (3P%).........+2.3 (+/-).....................................................29.2% (3P%)....... —8.3 (+/-)
    McLemore...47.7% (3P%).......+4.0 (+/-).........................................(3 gms) 27.3% (3P%)....... --4.3 (+/-)
    Covington...33.8% (3P%).......+8.2 (+/-) (8 gms).........................................41.9% (3P%)....... —15.0 (+/-)
    Rivers.........38.0% (3P%)........+2.3 (+/-)......................................................44.4% (3P%)....... +1.0 (+/-)
    Tucker........42.6% (3P%).........+8.0 (+/-).....................................................21.4% (3P%)...... —16.5 (+/-)
    Harden......37.8% (3P%)......... +9.7 (+/-)....................................................19.0% (3P%)........ —8.5 (+/-)
    Westbrook...38.1% (3P%)...... +8.9 (+/-).....................................................30.0% (3P%)....... —17.0 (+/-)

In summary Rivers and Covington picked up their 3P% during the 4 game losing streak; but all dropped
    in plus/minus......some dramatically. Conveniently picked up after positioning seeding counter
    to the Nuggets (with exception of House and Ben McLemore).

Player.....(+/-) during 4 gm losing streak (vs some lame-o teams)............last game vs lame-o Minn.
    House................................... minus 8.3 (+/-)..............................................minus 9.0 (+/-) dropped to 12 mins.
    McLemore............................ minus 4.3 (+/-)............................................. minus 12.0 (+/-)
    Covington............................. minus 15.0 (+/-)........................................... plus 19.0 (+/-)
    Rivers.................................... plus 1.0 (+/-)................................................ plus 13.0 (+/-)
    Tucker.................................. minus 16.5 (+/-)............................................ plus 2.0 (+/-)
    Harden................................. minus 8.5 (+/-)............................................. minus 5.0 (+/-)
    Westbrook........................... minus 17.0 (+/-)............................................ plus 8.0 (+/-)

Harden shot 37.8% (3P%) during 12 games (10-2), then 19.0% (3P%) during 4 game losing streak.....
    then 50% (3P%), 5 of 10 vs Minnesota. Ben 2 of 2 (100%) from 3; Rivers 3 of 4 (75%) from 3 and
    Tucker 1 or 2 (50%) from 3. Very convenient if one was to ask me. Imho the Rockets were
    dogging it, but for those who believe otherwise.....I have a bridge for sale.

I’m suppose to believe
    the Rockets are that bad against sub-500 teams and then come out of it vs
    lame-o T-Wolves; immediately after getting counter seeding to Nuggets. I don’t think so.

@saleem. Take care my friend.

#11 ApacheWarrior, Apr 5, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    DeBeards likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

House is the obvious weak link in this line up.

Green, Demarre or even Gordon would make this 5 much more formidable.

BamBam, DeBeards and ApacheWarrior like this.
  13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I feel like House was the legit Rocket slumping during that 4 game skid. Just my opinion.

saleem, D-rock and DeBeards like this.
  14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Do you think this strategy of dogging it goes back to losses against Brooklyn in November, San Antonio, Sacramento, Detroit, and Golden State in December?

15. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

God is our strength, hope this damn corovid-19 could be out of our way soon.
    I even forgot to mention Green, hope it's not one of those symptoms…

ApacheWarrior and D-rock like this.
  16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

No those were due to the team finding out how to incorporate Westbrook next to Harden next to Capela.

Things were made simpler (for Westbrook/Offense) when Capela was traded. Open lane for Westbrook to go into
    attack mode. It’s never been easy for the NBA to guard Westbrook one on one.....or even two on one for that matter. Opens up 3-pt shooter(s).

I don’t believe our 3-pt shooters all slumped for 4 games vs (3)sub-500 teams to the point of 30% to
    19% (3-point %) with many open 3’s. Then conveniently bust out one game after notching counter
    seed to Nuggets.

Edited: I could also turn it around.....did the Rockets get tired and lose games while having the bigger Capela? I know he played in that Nets game.

#16 ApacheWarrior, Apr 5, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  17. saleem

I pray and hope for the best for everyone in these very difficult times.

18. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

yes, it's really really hard to prove we were tanking or dogging it before hiatus.
    though i would love to believe we were dogging it, but, like 'All happy families resemble one another', all typical rockets' losses resemble one another. usually 3 signs show we can't win a game:
    1. Both harden and the six man (usually EGo) fail to make 3balls
    2. No team D
    3. No timeout / no adjustment (maybe got word, but no execution)
    at least 1 n 2 can be easily seen in Jonathan Feigen's takeaways after Ls.

imho, there are 3 reasons that we would rather to believe that 'we were dogging it' :
    1) we were so brilliant during a 11 out of 14 games run (beat j*zz n Celtics twice, Lakers once) ;
    2) on the way moving up to second seed, things got so theatrically upside down in NYC w/o clue (except for our effortless);
    3) normal (rockets) Ls to below .500 teams are too 'notorious' and too 'typical', other playoff teams could hardly mimic, to make us believe we could be better than where we were at today as long as we would had won those careless games.

again, missing the games so much, just wanna get things back to normal ASAP.

19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

On March 2nd Rockets at New York
    31-36 Knicks at end of 1st Qt
    63-73 Knicks at Half time
    In 2nd half Rockets scored 60 points while Knicks score 52 for a final score of Rockets 123 to 125 Knicks
    Rockets 9 TO’s in 1st half......averaged 11.7 per game in previous 12 games (10 W’s - 2 L’s)

March 5th Clippers at Houston
    Not much to say about this game.
    33-23 Clippers at end of 1st Qt
    67-44 Clippers at Half time
    Game ends 120-105 Clippers
    Clippers scored 53 points in the second half to Rockets 61 (44 at HT)

March 7th Rockets at Hornets
    17-30 Hornets at end of 1st Qt
    43-57 Hornets at Half time
    Game ends 99-108 Hornets
    Rockets score 56 points in second half (43 at HT) to Hornets 51 points.
    Rockets had 8 TO’s and 5 missed 3’s on first 12 possessions (again Rockets averaged 11.7 TO’s in 12 games
    prior to 4 game losing streak).

March 8th Magic at Rockets
    34-24 Magic at end of 1st Qt
    71-46 Magic at Half time
    Game ends Magic 126 to Rockets 106.
    Magic scored 55 points to Rockets 60 points in second half (46 at HT)

I’m suppose to believe Magic starters:
    Wes Inundu (5.3 points per game 31.3% (3P%) for season
    James Ennis (6.0 points per game 33.8% (3P%) for season
    Fultz (12.1 points per game 25.4% (3P%) for season
    Vucevic/ Aaron Gordon some how helped Magic outscore Houston 71-46 by Half time....in Houston.

12 games (prior to 4 game losing streak): 36.7% (team 3P%)........11.7 TO’s........33.8% (opponent 3P%)
    Then 4 game losing streak: ...................... 29.1% (team 3P%)........15.0 TO’s.......40.5% (opponent 3P%)

Not sure, but I saw the Rockets fiddling around in the 1st half of most of those 4 games with Harden driving less
    and then show more interest in the second halves of those same games. In the case of New York it looked to me
    that the Rockets came back but didn’t really want to win it at the end. Just my perception.

With seeding at an ultimate high during that stretch of games......seems fishy to have such a huge lull.
    And I’m not buying teams figured out our small-ball lineup......or fatigue. I’m gullible but not that gullible.

#19 ApacheWarrior, Apr 8, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    BigShasta and DeBeards like this.
  20. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

awesome, it's a load of works of collating data and panning out.
    the above statistics can either prove 'we were dogging it' or speak volume 'no exception, that's the typical L'; but, either way, there are something cloud my mind:
    for the former, i doubt MDA is the kinda coach who would play tricky by choosing 'end run' instead of head-on (all in clinching second seed);
    for the latter, 4 typical (rockets) L in a row? that's too much. as you pan out above, data-wise they are in such a striking contrast with the 12-game prior to (team 3P%, TOs, app 3P%); i don't think rockets are such a shitty team can't adjust itself in 1-4 games, stumbling over and over again in the mud like a knuckle head.

if there were something indeed change our coach's mind, i don't know, maybe there were other factors counted in that finally make the stubborn coach compromise and agree to a bigger picture, say money's Win-Now strategy, a possible contract extension, once-in-a-lifetime of 2 super tandem's prime etc,.

ApacheWarrior likes this.