1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. malakas

malakas Member

The TB vaccine is shown in some trials from years ago to offer protection for up to a year for infections in babies, not for life.

Also even if some EU countries had stopped it, the 60+y.o and healthcare workers had it, yet they keep dying.

However it is worth the trial they are doing now, which is to vaccinate doctors and nurses, just as a last straw means to protect them.

Well I had it in elementary school so I am good.
    There are many paediatricians who were lobbying to stop the school vaccinations because it was a useless vaccine and a waste of money.:rolleyes:

Houstunna likes this.
  2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Seriously...anybody giving odd stares at this point is a dumbf*ck!

3. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

RayRay10 and mikol13 like this.
  5. malakas

malakas Member

Does it?
    Or it was just a preliminary assumption to justify the different mortality rate between men and women in China?

Active smoking is not associated with severity of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)
    https://www.ejinme.com/article/S0953-6205(20)30110-2/fulltext

Yet we see now that in Europe where men and women smoke in equal rates the mortality rate continues to be overwhelmingly different between the genders.

Houstunna and Mazulis like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Basically just saying smoking doesn't make it much worse but isn't helping much either.

Smoking still increases probability of lung cancer.

Cancer and Covid-19 is not a good combo.

7. malakas

malakas Member

Well of course lol.
    However through meta analyses in huge samples it is shown that smoking is not a factor of severity.

Hypertension, obesity, diabetes etc are.

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

Is it true oil and gas wont recover for a while?

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is what I'm curious about. Smoking, drinking and risk taking are cited as why there is a difference between the mortality of men and women in general and they are also being cited for the difference in COVID 19. I'm still wondering if there aren't some other factors regarding hormonal or other differences.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Probably. As long as the World economy is slow the demand for oil will be slow even if the Saudi Arabia cuts back production.

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

It looks like the original post was deleted but I can see the comments and good info.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I would not bet on a quick oil/gas recovery.

The SUPPLY side has two big players (Russia and Saudi) dumping. They recently agreed to behave better. Neither are trustworthy. We will see.

The DEMAND side is completely in the sh*t. If you are staying at home and only driving to get groceries or take out, your demand is way down.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Good to see that Chinese have learned from this.

Oh wait...

14. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

One bank was emailing me at 11pm last night and I responded. The same person responded back at 4am. Another lender was texting me at 10:30 pm on Thursday after getting off a company wide call.

Haven't seen this much intensity on the banking side since 2008/2009 (though of course this is better since banks here are working hard to get $ out, not for survival).

Ziggy likes this.
  15. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Amiga, Yung-T and daywalker02 like this.
  16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Fortunately, I do. But they're so overwhelmed.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Those are the Corona patients that 'healed' and 'seemed resistant against it' ..... who let the dogs out....;)

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

All of it...dealt with a ton of different questions, including my own, on Friday as everyone was stressed to get the application in as early as possible. Problems since with portals not working, etc.

Amiga and daywalker02 like this.
  19. Major

Major Member

Nothing about this program is good right now. The regulations they came out with on Thursday night are crap, and they don't match what they had said prior. In particular, how they measure payroll costs and things like that are FUBAR. In the current regulations, if someone chooses a higher withholding level on their W4, less of your loan is refundable - even though it had nothing to do with you. And banks have no idea how it's going to work - some are basing the loan amount on 2019 payrolls, some are basing it on the 12 months before you apply - which is very different since many people have laid off people already. It's all extraordinarily messed up.

And I've seen many businesses that are currently shut down applying ASAP. That's really stupid because they can't pay people right now, and if they don't use most of the money to pay people over the 8 weeks after they get the loan, they are going to learn it's not refundable later on. No one knows how long it takes for the loans to be disbursed, so their starting point for their 8 weeks is all guesswork right now.

MadMax, Ziggy, Hakeemtheking and 2 others like this.
  20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Science!

daywalker02 likes this.