1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are AUTOMATIC Hall of Fame Accomplishments?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocket River, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If you have one MVP - Is that Automatic Hall of Famer? See Derrek Rose
    Lead the league in Scoring?
    A Defensive Player of the year?
    Finals MVP?

Rocket River

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

In basketball, anyone that wins an MVP should be in the HOF, no questions asked imo, the requirements to win an MVP in this league are that substantial.

I think you can debate the others on a case by case basis.

3. Fefo

Fefo Member

i think 25000 career points. Mvp season. 1st tean all nba 5 times. i thinks theres a lot of ways.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Nah politics play too big a part in the selection process. Harden should have 3 MVP’s right now. Rose would make the Hall of Fame for winning an MVP? He didn’t even deserve the MVP that he did win.

Spacemoth and Richie_Rich like this.
  5. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Finals MVP should be an automatic hall of fame accomplishment, IMO. Even if you're sort of a "flash in the pan" or just a super role-player (Andre Iguodala), it takes an extremely large set of balls to perform to the level of a Finals MVP on that stage.

I don't think any statistical milestone should determine whether or not you're a Hall of Famer or not. Plenty of players make substantial impact without it showing up on the box score.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Recently maybe, Rose could be the only mvp in history you could argue is not a hall of famer, and I’d still give it to him.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think great college ballers and coaches can get into the HOF..... It should not always be about the NBA and MVPs.

I am against automatic criteria, an unanimous MVP is a bonus point, that's all.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They gave one to Tmac...first ballot.

They can give it to anyone.

Except Rudy...He gets to wait 25 yrs after retirement.

Richie_Rich and Jontro like this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

MVP in the NBA? How about MVP of a Euro league? How about a college POY? The problem is it's a "basketball hall of fame", not the NBA Hall of Fame. The NBA's problem is that they probably need their own hall of fame.

I don't think one accomplishment should automatically allow anyone into the HoF.

Rocket River likes this.
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

crazy rebounding stats.

Duke Fan likes this.
  11. SemisolidSnake

I completely disagree about subjective awards having any bearing on automatic inclusion. Should Kawhi have been an automatic HoFer as soon as he got Finals MVP after he got his first one in the Spurs most recent championship?

It's hard to point to even one stat that would be definitive. All the players that have quadruple-doubles are in the HoF. But there's still room for that to be a freak occurrence (although small). None of those guys earned it solely on scoring a quad. Mike Fiers has TWO no-hitters. Not many pitchers have that. Should Mike Fiers be a MLB HoF inductee? Maybe in the Hall of Fame of Snitching, but that's it.

You've got to look at player's whole career and see what they did. That's why it's so stupid to call someone a future HoFer after 1-2 seasons. And you've got to look at the individual's total contributions to the game and not overly weight rings.

That said, Shaq, Hakeem, and Kobe all think 7x champion Robert Horry should be in the HoF.

T for 3 and Jontro like this.
  12. Juxtaposed Jolt

I disagree. They wouldn't have sniffed the finals if it wasn't for the play of Curry, Thompson, Green, etc.

Just like it's very much debatable on whether or not Rose gets in because of his singular MVP (that LeBron honestly should have won), the merits of finals MVP without much of anything else, is also debatable.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Did Detroits last championship have a single HOFer on it?

Rocket River

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Join the 70 win team that beats you in the playoffs.

Duke Fan and Jontro like this.
  15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

So far one stat that appears to lockdown a HOF induction is accumulating 126 win shares in your career. Vince Carter is just over 125. I’d say he’s likely.

Every player that has hit that milestone is or 100% will be a hall of famer.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/ws_career.html

16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

All decade team.

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

isn't zion already in it?

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Tmac one was out of sympathy and pity....felt bad for him.

19. TimDuncanDonaut

So 2021 class...

Paul Pierce
    Chris Bosh
    Ben Wallace
    Chris Webber

If you had a vote, would you vote on Webber? The other three, I'd say yes. For Webber, what do you think moved the needle; is it the broadcasting?

20. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I would vote Webber before I vote Tmac( and I loved TMac)... Just my opinion.. Webber was a stud for Sac and GS... He was something that hadn't been seen before in that era

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.