1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. malakas

malakas Member

Are people also hoarding thermometers? :eek:

2. likestohypeguy

Early on I saw costco limit a lady behind me in line to two thermometers. I wondered how many of those you could possibly need. It's not like you use them up and need more.

3. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Gotta love my CF bros.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

B-Bob likes this.
  5. Caesar

Caesar Member

I was doing so well. Keto. 20 hr IF. Then i decide it's been a while since I've seen Black Swan and Vincent Cassells hand groping and sexual aggression sent me over the edge and i fapped for the first time in a long time and when I bust, i always crave carbs so tons of junk food and now its beer time which of course leads to more fapping. I'm gonna be so ashamed when I see Vincent cassel on westworld sunday night.

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

malakas likes this.
  7. hooroo

hooroo Member

Not looking good for the French scientist

malakas likes this.
  8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

What am I looking at?

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  9. omgTHEpotential

Yeah, you'll need to spell this out for me.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Highlights from a UCSF research townhall (ongoing, internal discussion of the scientific community, but not secret, and will be made available on Youtube later, but it's long and boring and technical for most people). Inspiring to me how transparent and collaborative this has been, at least from what I could see here.
    • COVID-19 contains a total of 29 separate functional genes identified now. Each one has now been expressed and purified by scientists now. This is new as of two days ago. 60 samples of genetic material (safe on its own) mailed out to other research labs.
    • This info is being sent to dozens of labs around the world.
    • There are 332 different human proteins that will associate with 26 of those genes. These are overwhelmingly expressed in the lungs, so scientists see that they're on the right track for figuring the virus function out. This is great news.
    • 69 different drugs and compounds are well-known and tested that can, on the human side, target these human proteins that interact with COVID-19. Work is accelerating remarkably in this area. Great news. (EDIT: Mrs B-Bob points out that chloroquine is, separate from any French or chinese experiments, in the list of those 69 drugs, lending hope to those chloroquine trials!)
    • Also on human side, have built up a 12-gene classifier for those who seem to move into pneumonia versus those who do not.
    • Accelerated work for antibody testing (so we wouldn't need to do the laborious and slow tests). Most importantly, you could then learn who has been exposed. Disappointing to me: we don't know when these will be available. Some tests started this week though. Guy running it says "it's safe to say it will be available soon." Not sure what that means.
    • A fairly systematic system already exists, at least locally, for severe respiratory illness, of taking samples from patients in hospital for further scientific analysis.
    • The NIH is running a huge multi-site trial on remdesivir. Will add a secondary drug to the trial very soon -- lots of discussion of which one that will be.
    • Also trials ongoing on proper dosage of hydroxychloroquine.
    • Latest clinical data suggests the time from infection to viral shedding is just 3-4 days on average.
    • There is a "citizen scientist" program. If you sign up, they will ping you with survey questions about your health and symptoms (even if you don't have any). This is incredibly valuable in this time of pandemic when we don't have proper testing. I am trying to validate the number they put up on a slide, but can find no documentation. :-\ I'm going to try it to see if it's something I should share more broadly with y'all.
    • Many of the scientists on Zoom call were touching their faces. LOL. sigh.
    Overall impression: we will be kicking this virus's ass, tool by tool, but not much within the next couple of months, despite the progress.

Why was I on this zoom? Just an observer, because Mrs. B-Bob's job let her be an observer.

#4410 B-Bob, Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  11. malakas

malakas Member

People looking at his past publications (this one is about Bartonella from 15 years ago) and finding possible fudging/cooking of the data

I will be honest.
    After the first two days , the doctors here have been also treating this french guy almost like a charlatan.
    Especially because he called the media without getting his study peer reviewed first.

CCity Zero and donkeypunch like this.
  12. B-Bob

He's been caught faking data previously, and his work has been barred by a number of reputable journals.

None of this means his recent study on chloroquine or whatever is fake, but the way he handled the data, and the way he published it (with 24-hr peer review?!) in a journal where the editor is one of his subordinates... doesn't look good.

Just very fishy.

#4412 B-Bob, Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  13. malakas

malakas Member

Thank you so much for the information.

According to the reliable uk media the "soon" is 1 month later, at least about the Oxford antibody test.

I have a question
    "Also on human side, have built up a 12-gene classifier for those who seem to move into pneumonia versus those who do not."

???
    So the more of these genes someone has the more likely he is to develop pneumonia?

CCity Zero and Yung-T like this.
  14. B-Bob

That's my understanding, or vice versa. Or if those set of genes are activated in an individual, it might tell doctors that they are susceptible or not susceptible. It was left very open-ended.

I've naively been thinking there must be a strong genetic predisposition b/c of how certain families get wreckes, while others show no symptoms.

15. malakas

malakas Member

Yeah. Just looking at some known cases this is obvious.
    The Wuhan director. The american family.
    Even here in only the beginning we have two pairs of fathers and sons die. Ofc the fathers were 90 year old but still..the sons didn't even hold for long, gone after just 5 days. :(

This is like a russian roulette.
    Good luck knowing if you have these genes.

CCity Zero, Yung-T and B-Bob like this.
  16. malakas

malakas Member

@B-Bob anything on possible length of immunity?

CCity Zero and Mazulis like this.
  17. B-Bob

No. I shared the most salient points I could digest. Once it is on youtube, I can share that link for anyone wanting more. It's 90 minutes long though.

18. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

Did not noticed on thermometers, but sequence of supermarket gods was: Lysol spray ,alcohol wipes, hand sanitizer. My friend told me Brooklyn bodega was selling hand sanitizer for 80$ ,I did not believe it , so went to check it was 45$ per 8oz bottle . Week two somebody decided Toilet paper:mad:, paper towels (restocked next week). Week 3 : EGGS wtf is in eggs:mad:. By the end of week almost everything. our shelfs looks pretty much like in USSR in 1990-1991 :eek:. Almost all food in limited quantities like 2 per person. Sadly, but food delivery sucks ,u not getting Amazon food deliveries, Stop and shop (our local supermarket) not delivering , Shop-rite, not delivering.

CCity Zero and malakas like this.
  19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The French scientist “who made the famous study” was just confirming a prior study by Chinese scientists done a month earlier. He even cites the Chinese study in his work.

PeterKingX and daywalker02 like this.
  20. malakas

malakas Member

well you have to think that at some point most people will have no more money to hoard stuff or no more fridge and freezer space.
    Better not go out when there is such madness and wait 2 hours in line and risk infection in the crowd.