1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FEDERALIST: Let's infect ourselves with Coronavirus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I mean if you could guarantee that you are one of the lucky ones that get a little fatigue but otherwise feel great, of course you’d want to sign up for that so you would in theory (although testing is limited for immunity) have anti bodies.

However... is it really worth the risk??... the answer to that is a profound no. Right now in my area 30%!!! of the cases are ending up in hospitalization of some form which I think is about 10% higher than the national average for whatever reason but I’m guessing it’s because in higher affected areas getting a hospital bed is more of a challenge.

That’s a hell of a risk. Needlessly exposing yourself to TRY and get it is stupid. Especially now. Would you rather get it now when our hospitals don’t yet have the capacity, the extensive medical studies, and researched drugs that are more proven to help fight the virus? I would much rather quarantine now and take that risk 8 months from now after our healthcare system has had months of experience in treatment in case I draw the short straw and get my butt kicked by it and have to go to the hospital.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of studies are saying that up to 80% of humanity could get infected. That is why the strategy isn't to prevent all infections but just space them out. Flatten the curve..

While people are putting the mortality rate around 3% there are a couple of numbers. One getting infected from exposure which isn't clear. The other is becoming symptomatic after infection. Some studies are showing that 20% of those infected become symptomatic. That is a pretty high number and if you want to risk deliberately infecting yourself with a 1 in 5 chance of getting very sick and possibly requiring hospitalization with a 1 in 33 chance of dying those aren't good odds when the healthcare system might be overwhelmed.

joshuaao likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

No Worries likes this.
  5. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I'm starting to get the feeling that we are being setup.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From the reports out there the virus infects the lung cells and the GI tract. It raises the question, what happens if it just gets into your blood - would it travel to your lungs or would your body be able to defeat it. Of course if your body defeats it, then that essentially becomes a vaccine.

I know now 2 people who have had it and recovered, both have described it as a harrowing experience and they are still very weak. One was older (not conditions) and the other relatively young. This thing is dangerous for many people, and the idea of anyone infecting themselves and playing dice is nuts.

While it only has a 2% mortality rate or less, it leaves many more people with permanent lung damage. I don't think this is something to play around with.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This is what I'm thinking -- later, we'll understand the virus better, have better care, etc. It should be a better experience on the back side of the peak than the front. Of course, the likeliest time you will unwillingly contract it is at the height of the peak when you have the least chance of getting a test, a hospital bed, a ventilator, or drugs. There is a perverse incentive to be an early mover so you can get those resources before other people do. But, I would not encourage others to do the same thing. If they did, they'd compete with me for those medical resources and defeat the whole point of going early. (I am not, however, going to try to get the virus. I am instead operating on the irrational assumption that I won't get sick until after we have the resources in place to take care of me.)

joshuaao, Hakeemtheking and dobro1229 like this.
  8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

“There is considerable evidence, to be clear, that people who have recovered from COVID-19 infection can become reinfected and infect others.”

The link given doesn’t seem to support that statement. The evidence is inconclusive at this stage, on that matter.

Maybe some sort of controlled infection of otherwise young healthy people is a sensible plan, with the right infrastructure in place. Whether that’s feasible right now, I don’t know. I think we are reaching a stage where there are no good solutions to choose from.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Modeling antivax strategy ... now why did they even publish this ? Was it something recently said from the POTUS? This magazine worshipping is such an embarrassment.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

In theory... these people just want to play Russian Roulette for an early vaccine. Vaccines in theory are controlled self infections of a virus. Makes sense, but the risks are too high right now with a 20 to 30% hospitalization rate with virtually no reliable medical treatment other than hooking up to a respirator.... if you can get one.

Count me out. I'll just stay home and binge Tiger King.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

fallenphoenix likes this.
  12. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

How about all the people who read the federalist following their advise? Sounds good to me.

Rashmon likes this.
  13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Are u kidding? For clicks, and... voila, great success.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

certainly play a part, but based on past history, i think principally, it starts with worshiping

side note - not sure how it can happen... but we need to return back to ethics and responsibility in journalism

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yes go infect yourselves, then hide back into your bunkers, let God sort out whether you're a tru warrior or not

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Since a direct link to the piece isn't posted yet, here it is:

https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/2...rties-could-turn-the-tide-of-the-wuhan-virus/

It's not suggesting that young people just go out and flout the stay at home orders. It is proposing a controlled set of measures to potentially accelerate development of herd immunity, even in the absence of actual vaccines. It acknowledges that a prerequisite to any such measures would be having better testing available and also a clearer understanding of re-infection rates.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Those crazy kidders from the federalist still at it...

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I wonder if there are some crazy people who think this is the rapture and are infecting themselves with Corona to see if they are to be taken to heaven too.

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The hospitals are fine? What? He must not know anybody working in the hospitals.