1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cruise Companies: Explain Why they get Relief

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . ..they have their corporations based in foreign countries.
    This way they don't have to pay U.S. Taxes

Explain to me why We should give a d*mn about helping them recover their losses
    I like Cruising . . enjoy it
    but
    They purposely avoided paying the taxes
    It is not like they didn't have the money . . . .they were being greedy

My Free Marketers would tell me that. . . if they die they will be replaced by newer and better
    Is that not right?
    Good businessmen would tell me they should have had insurance and paid into the system
    to shore up against such issues
    Is that not right?

If they were people and not a corporation . . . . would we be so generous to foreign nationals?
    I mean we are keeping a good number of them in cages

Rocket River

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I really don't get it either, this is an explain to me like I'm 5 type thing. Even if they went under, another cruise company would buy the ships and start sailing. The entire cruise industry won't go away, and even in the unlikely event it does big f**king deal.

I get the airlines and banks back in 08, but the cruise companies is a head scratcher.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

But Weren't those AMERICAN Airlines and AMERICAN Banks
    These are not American companies.

Rocket River

Bandwagoner likes this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Corruption at its finest. Cruise Industry isn't critical to the economy. It's the kinda pork @Trader_Jorge loves

Rocket River likes this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yep. Considering our President's disdain for American companies that do things outside the country, this is a truly perplexing move on his part.

Nook likes this.
  6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

They not only avoid U.S. taxes, but they also avoid most U.S. laws and regulations, including environmental, labor, and liability.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Instead of bailing them out, we could rent their cruise ships to be used as floating auxiliary hospital space. Then the cruise companies get revenue, and the country gets something worthwhile out of it. Make them into an essential service. Of course, we could probably get the same benefit more cheaply by renting out hotel buildings.

adoo, Major, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Cruise ships were floating incubators long before Covid-19.

Could never understand the love of cruises anyway.

Hakeemtheking and SamFisher like this.
  9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The only reason I can guess is a crooked one, with leverage and pull from shady businesses to crooked politicians who get some kind of personal gain. What a crime to use American taxpayer dollars to give feel foreign registered pleasure ships.

FrontRunner likes this.
  10. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

I'm in agreement that these businesses that are not US based companies should not be getting the benefits of our country.
    I'd like a loan where we as the US taxpayer get good interest collateralized by all their assets and the owners personal guarantees
    and they must return to being US domiciled companies for at least 20 years.

That would be ideal. US is borrowing at virtually 0 interest rates so this would be a golden deal for America and would keep them
    afloat (literally).

Nook likes this.
  11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Not identically but similar to auto companies: shipbuilding, catering, lodging and transport probably draw in a lot of resources, goods, raw materials and services from American companies.

JuanValdez and Nook like this.
  12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The difference between baling out the airlines and cruises is that the airlines are required travel. Cruises serve no purpose other than leisure. The cruise industry seems like it's been a complete s***show over the past few years with breakdowns out at sea and being a disease incubator. Let them die.

jcf, deb4rockets, Andre0087 and 2 others like this.
  13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Who along the political spectrum is asking for the cruise industry to be bailed out? It has to be coming from somewhere, but I don’t see anyone arguing for it.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Do we know if it was in the original Republican bill or was added by the Democrats?

Even in a pandemic these assholes find ways to guild the Lilly.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Right? Maybe they just own stocks. Or Disney, which owns Cruises, stepped in. Larger companies may not show up on that page.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yall sold me. Which FB/IG page do I like or what online petition to sign?

18. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Part of the Republican Bill:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/20/coronavirus-washington-lobbyists-bailout

The Republican bill provides passenger airlines and air cargo carriers up to $58bn in loans, while a mix of hotels, cruise ships, shopping malls and other sectors were given $150bn to help weather the economic downturn.

Hours before the Republican measure was released, Trump said he expected the package would provide help for the airlines, cruise lines and “probably hotels”. On Tuesday, Trump met with hotel industry executives who reportedly asked for $150bn in help and another $100bn for their suppliers.

Watchdog groups are raising red flags about the $50bn loan package for America’s big passenger airlines which in recent years have drawn growing consumer complaints, while spending tens of billions on stock buybacks. And the $150bn in the Republican bill for the well-connected hotel industry – which Trump’s family business is heavily engaged in – and other industries have also generated criticism.

FrontRunner likes this.
  19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't believe in this argument myself, but the only real argument for bailing them out is that the US government, in bailing out others not too long ago, created the "moral hazard" whereby industries now expect to get bailed out when they fall on hard times.

Rocket River likes this.