1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets legend Tracy McGrady duels Dirk Nowitzki in 2004

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Typical Tmac game. Looked great but couldn’t get it done in the end.

And whoever is using that game winner to try to make the claim he’s clutch, would have meant a lot more if his team didn’t drop a 2-0 series lead with the next 2 at home.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We could have won with Juwan, but he didn't bring much on defense. Nevertheless, it's clear that he was missed.

Andre0087 likes this.
  3. cato13

cato13 Contributing Member

Show me a clip of Tmac hitting any kind of bucket in a meaningful 2nd round game of the playoffs..period...

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

I could argue that that game was just as important as a playoff game.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Although he was at his best here, he couldn't lead us to the 2nd round even after a 2-0 lead in a best of 5 series against a relatively weak Utah Jazz team. It wasn't all on him, but he should taken control in the clutch. His lack of aggression and urgency was evident. That's why I don't consider him a Rockets legend.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya you could but it wasn't.

7. fchowd0311

The reality is that Harden has a significantly higher drop in scoring efficiency from regular season to playoffs than Mcgrady. Do what ever you want with that information.

8. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Cool. How many playoff series did T-Mac win for us?

9. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Enjoyed this video. Thanks for posting.

I got used to seeing the stiff, old, lumbering, broken down Dirk of the last few seasons of his career. I forgot how good he actually was.

Harden is clearly the better, more accomplished player in my mind, but McGrady's style of play was so much fun to watch when he was healthy.

Really wish Bobby Sura had more seasons with the Rockets.

Pringles and Rox11 like this.
  10. realonemo

realonemo Member

Game 3 against the warriors last year was pretty damn clutch if you ask me. Game 7 against the clippers is really underrated too. He could have folded after Mchale benched him game 6 but he didn't.

11. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

so many long 2s …. moreys head would explode

12. bmelo

bmelo Member

Bro it is not in the playoffs that is the point. Harden is demigod in RS. There is one game winner against GSW like 4-5 years ago but it comes after he failed to get the ball from the inbounds and GSW made it a tie on the other half with like 10 seconds to go. That is the whole point. It is no coincidence Rockets went down as soon as CP went down. CP is from that old cloth of players that play to score in any given way not that rely on some tactics.

13. bmelo

bmelo Member

Oh yeah lol show me the clips when Ginobli shut Harden ass down. Can you even imagine Ginobli shutting down prime T-mac? The only thing that McGrady lacked is durability, give him 8 prime years in weak ass conference and he would come on top. He was going against another legend Dirk with great coach Jerry Sloan, refs was against us and we only had like 1 homecourt advantage back then. Harden crushes average teams but when he comes against another great? It is L after L until he proves otherwise

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tmac was a terrible 3 point shooter, he had one great series in a regular season game

Harden can beat him in shooting blind folded

15. arubato

arubato Member

Series tied 2-2 vs Spurs WCF. Show me one clip of Tmac as a rotation player in 2nd round of playoffs.

16. bmelo

bmelo Member

I can show you when as a young gun with Orlando Magic took champion Pistons to 7 games while playing with Euroleague talent against best defense in decades. I know you hate him but T-Mac in terms of basketball talent was on Kobe level. Harden maximized what he can do and overaly has way better career than T-Mac but at the same time he hass a glass roof he won't pass, he is not athletic/long enough to force his will in playoffs and we saw this times after times

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. arubato

arubato Member

Took to game 7 is different from winning a series. I don’t hate Tmac, I rooted for him when he was a Rocket. And you are right, in terms of potential, Tmac could have been better than Harden. But he didn’t maximize his potential while Harden exceeded his.

Pringles likes this.
  18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

McGrady's teammates looking surprised when he passes sometimes....

19. fchowd0311

Do you think T-Mac could win a series in his prime if he had Durant and Westbrook as teammates?

For Mcgrady, durability and the level of competition he faced in the first round was his downfall. Harden as a Rockets didn't have to face the level of competition in the first round that Mcgrady did with the prime Dirk Mavs and prime Williams and Boozer Jazz. The lack of durability from both Yao and TMac hindered their ability o be a top 3 seed and avoid elite competition in the first round.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He had an organ issue at the time which might have cut short his career....

Mavs had Josh Howard and he delivered.

saleem likes this.