1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump's coronavirus response

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 13, 2020.

1. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm not as optimistic. Same thing was said about NYC only a few weeks ago. Yes, some states are slower on the uptick, but I think they will get to to them too. Lots of people are not doing things to control or limit spread of this.

https://www.politico.com/interactives/2020/coronavirus-testing-by-state-chart-of-new-cases/

#781 rpr52121, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is exactly what Sarah Palin was saying was going to happen
    but she suggested it would be Obama doing it . .. . .
    Now. . her own party is doing it

Exactly,

Rocket River

Blatz and mdrowe00 like this.
  3. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

4. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

The states (I lost faith in the feds) need to have a choke hold on this 4 weeks max. Beyond that, there could be some serious and perhaps irreparable damage to our economy. Many small business will not recover from this. Big business such as automakers won't be hiring back at capacity anytime soon, not with a 100-day inventory.

I hope I'm wrong, but I can't see a V-shaped recovery, but more like U-shaped come back if I'm wearing my rose colored glasses.

5. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I think Cuomo wants to do that, but NY needs the stimulus bill passed now. State gov is also having cash flow issues that may cause problems supposedly.

6. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

BaselineFade likes this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Florida and it's MAGA leadership is going to be a horror movie by late April. The Governor is still refusing to issue a stay home order.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is the most major problem
    The bottleneck of testing

Throw out any numbers for deaths and cases. . .. they may not look bad
    Until you compare them to the amount of tests done

20K people dying is bad but not alarming . . until you realize we tested less than 500K people
    Then it looks real bad! The Worse ! (Generic Number used for exageration )

Rocket River

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Yes, testing would be ideal (to control this on a large scale) but people need to think rationally. If you are having symptoms or think you should be tested, start treating yourself as a presumptive positive, that alone goes a long way. The idea that testing positive will somehow change your own management (unless you're severely) sick is kinda ridiculous. If you are having even remote symptoms lock yourself down, period. Whether the test tells you you are or you think you are, supportive care comes first (fluids, rest, isolation). That's what we are doing at the hospital, and we're more exposed than anybody else. If somebody starts coming down with something they immediately go home.

#789 LosPollosHermanos, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Nook likes this.
  10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think his best shot at re-election would be for him to fully embrace this 'war-time president' stance and go all in on defeating the virus and chuck out concern for the economy. It could sink him if we're in depression by election day, but his current course is going to sink him anyway. As long as this virus is hanging out, it's just going to grind down the economy, and he'll have neither a healthy population nor a healthy economy.

Nook, joshuaao and RayRay10 like this.
  11. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  12. Newlin

Newlin Member

So, what changed over a couple of days that made Trump consider opening up the country in the coming days or weeks? I’ll answer that. Trump realized that our nations failed response to this virus has made it impossible to stop at this point. He’s between a rock and a hard place. The horse is out of the barn and Trump now understands this.

There are no good options at this point. Everyone in the country could self quarantine for a month and it will still be very bad. Because the virus is rapidly spreading to every country around the world, we now will have to learn to live with this virus until a vaccine or treatment is discovered.

I suspect we will see a partial reopening of the country(restaurants, businesses, schools), while keeping some businesses closed(cruise lines etc.). I think there will be a strong recommendation that elderly people self quarantine until a vaccine is developed.

The main focus now must be reducing the strain on the healthcare system. It seems like it will be difficult to open up the country until we find a way to adequately care for all who need it. Once we get healthcare under control, then we should be able to go forward with a plan to get people back to school and back to work.

Sadly, Trump is a very poor communicator. Instead of just commenting that he wanted to open up the country in maybe a couple of weeks, he needed to really explain in detail how it might unfold. He needed to explain why he is considering this at this time. People need to understand that there are no good options at this point.

Again, we need to the stabilize the healthcare system and make sure it is prepared to handle the huge influx of Coronavirus patients. Then, we can move forward opening up the country.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except that because we've only tested a limited amount of people. Those numbers will go up big time once we can test. Hopefully, the isolation will help somewhat.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

How is such arbitrary numbers not obviously a random example? I really need to stop over estimating intelligence.

They need to weigh up the impact of the virus spread vs the impact of the shutdown, and it needs to be reassessed relatively frequently, it was literally all he was saying.

It's risk assessment, and the reference to doctor's is that they are providing a single perspective, death by virus, there was absolutely no level of certainty in that statement apart from the need to consider it, and that would require an adequate plan to be signed off.

It would need a solid quarantine plan for hotspots, but it certainly isn't comparable to the UK where the entire population lives within a few hundred miles of each other, nor does the US have an all roads lead to Rome theme like the capitals of most European nations (note i don't mean literally Rome, just in case that too isn't obvious).

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

One yuge part of the problem is the inconsistent even conflicting messaging from trump and his admin. Perfect example:

And the guy tasked with doing things:

This sort of mixed messaging on the DPA has been going on since late last week.

jcf, joshuaao and RayRay10 like this.
  16. NewRoxFan

Yikes... any time son-in-law jared's name is involved... failure follows...

Rashmon, joshuaao and RayRay10 like this.
  17. NewRoxFan

And heck, its even more complicated than "yes, we are using DPA this AM"...

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. NewRoxFan

19. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Trump presidency, reelection year, impeachment, pandemic, wake up from coma?

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He already gave up on this. He is incapable of doing any type of planning past a cable news day. As was predicted and warned about, and which every Trump voter and cowardly Senate enabler knew of, yet disregarded. They bear some responsibility for this.

Public health nightmare and depression inbound.

Trump presidency over.