1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

So I am assuming he is a huge environmentalist if he is so concerned about the world he will leave for his grandkids.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Let me be the first to invite Dan Patrick to go ahead and pull some ER shifts if this is the sacrifice he is willing to make. Their are plenty of people younger than him that could use the relief

RayRay10, IBTL, AleksandarN and 5 others like this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not sure if you guys have been getting updates from any channels like this but this site had an interesting video today on immunity.

As you watch this keep in mind that the best info on this is based on a study with only 4 monkeys. I’m sure there are many more ongoing studies that will give us much better info and there’s always the likelihood of the virus mutating.

There’s also a precious video he did on Trumps miracle drug he keeps talking about I highly recommend.

No Worries likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

My gosh, is he selling snake oil?

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

my understanding from research biology pals is that an RNA virus is definitely going to keep mutating. That’s why we can’t vaccine away the common cold.

EDIT: as of 3-24, it looks like some genetic meta-analysis shows relatively light tendency to mutate, which would be great news.

#2525 B-Bob, Mar 23, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  6. dobro1229

Do they compare a potential vaccine to a flu vaccine where we basically get the latest strand yearly?

I think it’s pretty clear in the study that it’s the same strand of the virus that they re-infect the monkeys with obviously so immunity is basically still theory at this point I’m sure.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

some say it could flu-like, long run, but others think it will mutate too much even for that.

they aren’t at all hopeless. Trust that tons of research labs all over this planet are working on drugs, immuno-boosting therapies, everything! From the glimpse I have, it’s really inspiring.

RayRay10 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

my (limited) understanding is there are too many common cold strains (100s) that it wasn't economically worthwhile to develop vaccines against them... good thing it's mild but still, i wish there is a common vaccine!

COVID19 is too deadly and outside of being humane, i would guess no recent drug is even in the ball park of potential profit... so hopefully we see something soon

AleksandarN and B-Bob like this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hasn't this virus already mutated which is why we have two strains now?

10. dobro1229

WHO says no I recall. China says yes apparently per some of the studies they’ve released that have been circled on the inter webs. I think this theory came from the same lady who had it, tested negative, then tested positive again so assumptions might have been made. Could have been an issue with the test which is only like 70% accurate I think. 70% accurate isn’t the medicinal term though. 70% something or another... either way it’s 99% on other tests like the flu so it’s not the worlds most accurate test.

Seems too early for anything to be definitive. I know it’s all hands on deck with the smartest folks in the world right now but it’s crazy how little we do know. Good news is Coronaviruses are not new. Just this one that is seriously dampening my mood lately, but as long as me and my family are healthy gotta keep the b&tchin to a min.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

He was wrong but it didn’t get in his way to help.

The billionaire said in a tweet he helped acquire 1,255 of the machines from China last week and arranged them to be air-shipped to Los Angeles. He thanked Tesla staff and customs officials in China and Los Angeles for assistance.

Elon Musk

@elonmusk

Replying to ???? Don’t Bet Against Elon ????????‍????????@SteveHamel16 Jordan Wells@JordanWells33 and 2 others
    Yup, China had an oversupply, so we bought 1255 FDA-approved ResMed, Philips & Medtronic ventilators on Friday night & airshipped them to LA. If you want a free ventilator installed, please let us know!
    Sent via Twitter for iPhone.

View original tweet.

12. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

I hope Eon is giving them away to others states too not just California. New York needs them just as badly if not more.

B-Bob and Hakeemtheking like this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I read something the other day that blew my mind ..... can't recall where it was but it explained that a virus like the flu mutates on average 12 times per host.

The only way to get rid of this thing is to stop it from spreading to new hosts much like SARS which we haven't seen a new case of since 2004.

Stop spreading it to new hosts and it goes away. Isolation is the key to stopping this.

Houstunna, Hakeemtheking and RayRay10 like this.
  14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Sea of flaws, not even worth pointing out

15. Buck Turgidson

Not enough monkeys. You need 12.

16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

India has 500 cases, and is halting it's massive train network to contain the virus. We went from 932 cases to 45,734 in 13 days, and we still haven't shut down our airports. We allow travel all around our country with thousands of flights daily.

It's like our government leaders are putting business and profit over health and safety. They are talking about hospitals thrown up in a week, cruise ships to take the excess people, lack of tests, lack of equipment, lack of sanitizers in stores, etc..

It makes me angry that all that talk is reactive to letting a situation get a thousand times worse by not stopping all the flights. Stop the madness. Will it take a million cases before the light bulb come on in those heads of yours?

Houstunna, BaselineFade and RayRay10 like this.
  17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

They want people to die. No other conclusion. They don't care about us.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

and Brad Pitt. Does not work without Brad Pitt.

19. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...I wonder if Bruce Willis has this virus yet?:);)

RayRay10, B-Bob and No Worries like this.
  20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member