1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump's coronavirus response

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 13, 2020.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As I’m scrolling though this it looks like it is being spammed with Pro-Trump ads.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Trump should mandate all keyboards on laptops and computers have a "MAGA" button. It save people time when writing posts in support of him etc.

arkoe and RayRay10 like this.
  3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Can't wait till he's out of office.

I hope he gets embarrassed.in the worst way possible on the way to it.

Hakeemtheking, IBTL, Rashmon and 2 others like this.
  4. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes, I hope they do find a drug combo that works. Don't particularly care where it comes from.

As for the cure worse than the disease...I've been concerned about that. Haven't you? I mean, potentially sending us into a depression, on purpose, is quite a thing. Making sure it is worth it is a very prudent thing to do. I've seen the prognostications over the spread of CV, and I get why they are doing it, based on those...but the health impact is mostly unknown. The economic impact was fairly predictable, though. I've been worried about the trade-off from the beginning.

For example, just in Dallas and Houston, they estimate about 1/2 a million restaurant workers will lose their jobs. That's....10% of the workforce, just in that industry? Easy to see another 20% from other places. So, 30% of the workforce unemployed. How is that 'ridiculous'? It's pretty much unavoidable. For how long, is a valid question...ideally much shorter than other 'depressions', and those jobs would come back quickly. But many people, seeing where the economic impact was headed, were asking that question. For him to address it is certainly not 'ridiculous'. I think he said it to prevent a lot of people from overreacting to that...preventing unnecessary deaths and other actions.

So far, my industry has been doing pretty good, yet even so, one of colleagues today said he was considering just how much of a pay cut, if he had to, he'd take to keep his job. 50% was his answer. Contemplating having your pay cut in half to keep your job is a pretty serious thing. And that's presuming you'd get the choice.

FWIW, Cuomo was essentially saying the same thing. Was he being ridiculous?

I will say that Cuomo is doing very well in his, press conferences. Good...NY needs that, and his strong leadership. I can say that as a conservative, because conservative or liberal doesn't matter here. People doing good work to address this does...and he is, and I'm glad.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Trump is basically basketballhollic during trade season all the time. Throwing as many predictions out there as he can, and selling it as inside info, so when something finally happens he can claim genius.

The Hydrochlorizine prediction is the Ricky Rubio of Covid predictions.

#745 dobro1229, Mar 23, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    subtomic, IBTL, rocketsjudoka and 9 others like this.
  6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Let me see, being responsible for the Greater Depression and millions dead will definitely leave your pride a bit wounded!

Kind of makes impeachment seem not all that bad!

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

You don't kill a million people of starvation to stop 100k people from dying from a disease, although I'm not sure there's enough people on either side of that equation that could pause Pelosi's burn everything to the ground strategy.

9. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Cities and States will ignore him and the CDC. Then the blame game will be wild. Isn't America very very great now?

joshuaao and foh like this.
  10. foh

foh Member

Only thing is Trump represents Clutch on this board and not Workaholic in terms of power and Clutch could potentially have actual insider info. So we can't really ignore the dude as a person with lots of idiosyncrasies and wishful thinking.

These various bets undermine the focus of the government and the people. And while Birx said that the people will be more focused @social distancing, I don't see it either. Instead, a person who is tired of quarantine will say "what difference another week would make - I'll just head out and see my friends now"

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  11. foh

foh Member

Dude, where do you get this million people starvation fake ****?

US according to Trump himself was enjoying the biggest economic boost in history (supposedly). Do you really think the government can't buy the most impoverished section of the population a month worth of time of quarantine without people dropping off from hunger or whatever else, you economic disaster people are screaming about now.

Corrosion and Two Sandwiches like this.
  12. NewRoxFan

13. NewRoxFan

14. NewRoxFan

Here you go (with video, no less)...

Trump Invokes Car Accident Deaths to Defend Coronavirus Approach: We Don’t Say ‘No More Driving of Cars’
    https://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-i...approach-we-dont-say-no-more-driving-of-cars/

No Worries likes this.
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Wow “greater depression”

[​IMG]

16. NewRoxFan

17. NewRoxFan

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

As someone with a soft spot for the Twolves this is funny because it's so painfully true..

ElPigto and dobro1229 like this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I myself have said we need to be careful that the cure isn't worse than the disease and I've debated that here. This is one area where I will agree there is a point to possible dire repercussions to a long term shutdown. That said as I'm learning more especially reading the Imperial College models I'm willing to admit I was wrong regarding the potential seriousness of his crisis. Two weeks definitely doesn't seem long enough given what's happened in Italy and I think we can survive with a shutdown a little longer than that. If we're talking six or more months we definitely need to weigh the potential damage from economic collapse that could also lead to loss of life. We're still a long way from that.

BigDog63, RayRay10, joshuaao and 3 others like this.