1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Definitely agree, I think it's very good stuff to know, even if you just use it on your end or even help family/friends etc.. Like a few years back I learned a lot just chatting with a few guys that were making good money daytrading, nothing super crazy for me at the time, but really helped me to understand certain strategies that were really good.

I've slowly been trying to get back into trading a lot more, I love long term investments for future, but short moves right now can really add up with how the market is. I mean if you plan it right as this goes on, could make some nice money and roll enough into the main stocks that it would be a significant investment long term.

Plowman likes this.
  2. astros123

astros123 Member

After seeing California shutting down the state its only a matter of time this happens nationwide. I don't think we've seen true capitulation yet. Does anyone else agree? I thought the floor for these airline stocks were this week but who knows now. I think its best to sit on the sidelines and let the market truly capitulate once the nation shuts down. Anyone whos buying at these levels is truly speculating and I think more people cash out their 401k's to live off. I know a lot of people who are facing this dilemma of cashing our their 401k to be able to pay their bills. The only thing that can stop this is a vaccine being announced and that's not likely.

Those of you who are longing BA, why not just buy call options for a fall maturity? Worth the gamble.

#8802 astros123, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Hakeemtheking and CCity Zero like this.
  3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, absolutely agree. I've only been making moves that are big %gains to be made and getting out. The times held over night were ones when the after hour volume looked nice, I then immediately took 30-60%+ on the trade shortly after open.

Anyway, you're right, watch for any positive news too, because that'll change how long we need to be home for so these longs look great.

astros123 likes this.
  4. astros123

astros123 Member

Have you looked at shorting any banking etfs? I think the corporate loan bubble is about to pop once earnings get released next month.

#8804 astros123, Mar 20, 2020
    CCity Zero likes this.
  5. astros123

astros123 Member

Sorry for the double post but look at the etf WDRW. It mainly consists of regional banks which will be hit the hardest. Your small business will default on their loans and the banks will be left with a lot of bad debt on their books. It might be that the big banks might get lucky because the big corporations will get massive bailouts and be able to restructure their loans but we all know if you're a small business you're ****ed. I have friends in Indiana and other states who have tried to get a small loan from the SBA from their disaster relief and they have told me its a living nightmare. They want all sorts of paperwork and accounting documents and it is a long wait to get the money. ALOT of small businesses will fail and these are the companies that do business at regional banks.

Unemployment numbers are only going up because small businesses are the ones who are laying them off.

CCity Zero likes this.
  6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, sorry to hear this, I hope your friends (and everyone) for that matter make it through this. I have some friends who were doing things by the book (on owning a business) and just turning profit on their small business after the 2 year mark and then it all vanished on this virus, so just is really bad to see/witness.

I think you're right shorting or buying into funds like you mentioned could be a great move. I'd need to research more but could be huge (especially with everything happening). On a personal note I sometimes don't really like doing it, I mean I do like to make money so I'll do it... , but like in back of mind I know someone is being directly impacted, and typically it's the smaller guys/small businesses (and I am by no means a fat cat or something but just feel fortunate I am still working).

I guess I'm saying like I'd almost want to lose on a short/not take it if it meant people could get back to work and not be losing their house/business to a bank, but at the same time it's looking unrealistic with how this virus is destroying the economy. I think shorts are going to be where the money is made on quick moves, or investing in big things we've discussed for long term.

Currently I am not playing anything today but that could change, and I'll try to share any moves I do.

7. jsingles

jsingles Member

I'm holding onto these stocks right now

VXRT - in at $1.94 avg. right now. Afraid I might have missed my best chance at profits when it hit $2.5+. But this could go higher if their pill form vaccine turns into something. This is a longterm hold if need be.

HTBX - in at $.56. This is pure speculation, only have a couple hundred shares and its basically tread the line since I got it. If this continues into middle of next week I'll sell and take minimal gains or loses.

NBY - in at $.97. Really ****ed up on this one, could have sold for 35% profit yesterday right at the end of trading, but thought it could have gone higher in ah trading. It's back down to even. Will do the same thing I'm doing with HTBX next week possibly.

Novan - bought today at $.52. It's up about 15% on the day, it's the only thing making the day worthwhile.

I also bought more Ford stock and will maybe add more XOM in a few. These are decades long plays though.

CCity Zero likes this.
  8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, should have taken my own advice here... On GHSI.... Damn... I'm not buying atm but this sucks on something I meant to research.... Blah

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I like Ford for long play and definitely agree on NBY, I expected it to at least grow from AH, oh well... I havent done much today, I'll share anything I do move on.

Also, definitely like other moves.

I want to see how weekend plays out... Could be nice on Monday for follow the news type play or good day to buy stuff as it'll be down, I might wait at this point for Monday or get something in and out, but not seeing much I want to hold in over weekend for a short play.

jsingles likes this.
  10. jsingles

jsingles Member

Yeah, definitely. There's nothing I see out there to buy and hold for the weekend. Just going to hold what I have and hope for positive news between now and through Monday.

CCity Zero likes this.
  11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I think NBY could still be very nice though (I'm not in it yet), but seems like more talk on supplies, but just watch it, maybe Monday it'll rocket. I was definitely surprised on what I saw this morning too.

I'm curious about newer investors being worried about stock floor physically being closed (even though it's all electronic).... Could allow nicer entries, if media causes panic etc. Just a thought though.

12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I bought in at $1.10 for REML, flipped for $2.69, and thought I made a killing. It went up to $4.20 today!

CCity Zero and jsingles like this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

THese last few days do not give me much hope for the response. The federal government is flailing due to the incompetence of the executive and Senate dithering, and most states are way too late in responding.

It's going to get worse before it gets better.

CCity Zero likes this.
  14. astros123

astros123 Member

Definitely look into it. I think the ETF has alot of value still because these small banks will take an absolute killing.

Currently up 20% on the day with it :D

Also, anyone would be wise to buy put options on Latam airlines. After the massive protests that occurred in Chile over the year, the government will not bail them out. They have already come out strongly against it. The company is on the brink of bankrupt and has massive layers of debt on the books. Azul (brazilian airline) is in a ripe position to take over its market share. It could be a massive 5x play for anyone willing to wait a year. The Brazilian president has already said he will help out his airlines if they do stutter.

#8814 astros123, Mar 20, 2020
    CCity Zero likes this.
  15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Nice move, don't worry on that, that's a huge gain even where you got out at.

Sajan likes this.
  16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice swing trades in UBER ( will never see these prices again./UAL of late. Big drop in oil .....Restructuring of market support from oil to an assortment of tech blue chips et al has been moving for quite awhile, but has always been tightly wound/manipulated...A much more representative # is emerging.

CCity Zero likes this.
  17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Going through the last 10 pages or so and checking everything out.

@CCity Zero

Looks like its tanking again. Was it just a pump and dump, or you think people taking gains, and when the next round of ****-storm news/market/quarantines/whatever comes out it might pump back up again? Looks like Blue Apron same trajectory

CCity Zero likes this.
  18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I bought some united airlines today on the up and of course it goes down. Oh well. I will hold unless I can take some profit. Long term UAL will for sure go up so I’m not losing any money I am quite sure of it. How long idk

CCity Zero likes this.
  19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

20. astros123

astros123 Member

UAL will be fine long term. They will take over American airlines for the South American market. People don't realize how leveraged Delta is either. They own an equity share in a bunch of shitty smaller stakes airlines which I think will go belly up this cycle. They overpaid for Latam airlines and that company is going to be bankrupt soon.

CCity Zero likes this.