1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Thanks man! Let me try to get some better tips out on what I've learned doing this, I'll try to get some more detailed info, and might have time tonight or tomorrow (maybe weekend), but I'll be sure to share any moves I make with everyone. Right now just about everything is on sidelines for me (waiting on next play, I am doing this because until I feel we have solid/good news short plays are where the money is). Here's some stuff I thought might help,or open up some good discussion.

And please know that by no means this is for sure financial advice, like I can try to talk more on it (and might be skipping stuff atm).., and while I absolutely know some guys have made a killing, I try to play more safe but make good money etc, currently with the way the market is shifting it's very similar to cryptocurrency crash/previous market crashes (sure you can short it via options and retire, but in my experience there's more bad stories than good), so I like to be safe with share trading (even funds that are for shorts etc are good since they go inverse the market if they're listed as such, like the call out on SQQQ, goes up as tech dumps on Nasdaq. So perhaps if overnight you see futures tanking or other things tanking - think of funds like these as stocks to buy at open for a short ride). Note that these funds are meant to be short holds, even daily (similar to buying options etc) you absolutely do not want to buy SQQQ and then forget about it. Like if you see global market crash in other countries/premarket looking garbage - i would try buying a small amount of a fund like this for where you see things going badly. This was a good tip shared earlier that most overlook/forget - like take a look at this link for ideas and what this ones doing, but there's a lot of funds like this so you don't have to risk calling options unless you're ready (and I wouldn't do it yet, I don't even do it... but was getting close on some until absolute trash market) - https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/122215/sqqq-proshares-ultrapro-short-qqq-etf.asp

Anyway, what got me better... I have been doing stocks before but got into 20k btc market (not because I thought we'd see a magical run, hell at the top is the worst time to buy anything usually, unless it's a sure bet or it pays good dividends), I also got in because.. I knew about it when it was worthless... and wanted to get something out of it. Anyway, there were a lot of people chasing the news (similar to this medical/vax/drug stuff but on alt coins), you might have seen it this morning with high points and then low dips rapidly with each update on WTRH in premarket (3.20 3.80 4.10 3.50 3.80 etc all over the place). When you start seeing it going crazy and not a good steady up - but up down up 5-25+ cents at a time- absolutely set trailing stop losses or limit sell to get out (hell if no time and up a lot sometimes risk a market sell), you might not hit the top but it will be closer than when the bottom falls out. Like this morning I took 20% at time and put them in multiple sells, so i could get money at varying amounts basically it allowed all my shares to go between 3.85 to 4.10+ on each one (did I hit top top, no... but I also didn't lose anything,) - like everyone wants the top but when it get's erratic, get out and wait for the dip for a retrace if you want to day trade and really think it's a good ride, but some of these fall and that's it, like no more interest and it just keeps going down)...

Just to add, Basically whales/multiple people are selling shares of this stuff and kill the run (at least that's what normally happens). Then they'll repeat it and with their insane volume trades - especially on WTRH/APRN for example. It's typically us that get left holding bags but your goal is to take profits, making 25-66%+ - hell 100%+ from an overnight trade is easy money - even if you cashed out today at $3-4 whatever - it's better than on the other end being negative.

Like earlier WTRH looks like it was on a small run - https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/stocks/wtrh you saw volume going up in Aftger Hours, this looked possible for another gap up, but i don't know on a repeat plays (I don't always like them unless it's a company I really follow), and if you buy a some you want to be ready to get out asap in the morning (not always but you'll get a feel for it, but everyone just needs to be careful on these because people do get burned) so I normally won't go crazy and invest a lot, unless I feel really good with how hot it is or if I have a good feeling/earnings release in morning will be good etc etc, lots of things here). - here is good link on thinking about strategies - note you won't win every trade, but it's the big moves or several small moves that matter, like if your portfolio is positive even rocketed up this week, that's what you want to see, hell even is good, or if you have your money stashed in future stuff then that's fine too (airlines/travel etc etc will come back), losses are expected right now, so just leave it (as long as it's a good company/getting bailed out, unless you see a quick play to average in more shares etc) anyway here is good start of gap trading to think on - https://www.investopedia.com/articles/trading/05/playinggaps.asp (sorry for jumping around a bit but just wanted to detail some)

RKREBORN and jsingles like this.
  2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

a bit more... sorry for this being a damn wall... but was trying to be detailed -
    On this next link - this is an example but you're looking at how after hours is looking, right now there might be a play but need to watch it, like if you notice it going down/down get out, ideally you will see a small dip/no dip/ or up/up (definitely the link above on gaps details this much better) and will get a up gap at open in the morning and can sell right there if you want. So at this link as example - https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/stocks/wtrh/after-hours click on more trades and you can see trades getting placed (it stopped for now and was negative/down, i think it could still be a small up but again I don't typically go for repeats on some of these, with that said it is something to check in the morning again). Anyway per link, if good volume/price rising/news - then it's a good sign for tomorrow morning. This is because this type of trade doesn't count on smaller traders who don't want to waste limited day trades. ie they buy at night/sell in morning since they don't have a $25k + account.

Just to add on this last concept - for example, including last few days of trades, WTRH was averaging 20 million in trades (I think more like 4 million previous to yesterday's run) , today they've done 101+ million during open hours -
    https://robinhood.com/stocks/WTRH what that means is a lot of stock volume was traded (this number includes contracts/shares etc but keeping simple) hinting its hot. Like volume buys/sells going through the roof.

What you want to see is volume jumping up and a steady climb +profit after hours of it going up (you typically see orders placed last hour up to 5 pm CST in After Hours, then if everything is going as planned no bad news over night /no trash like company beats its employees etc etc. , there's a good chance to hit a gap up trade like what happen this morning. Ideally stock software is used, but you can still get some insight from links like above.

For example on WTRH yesterday the stock closed at 1.97, after hours trading got it to $3 and then back down to $2.62/2.70 iirc but it opened today at $3.51 (hence a gap up). This is right about where you need to get off, sell some at marks you can do this before/at open but don't wait on sidelines. You want out because typically it's going to go up and then down - this really only applies to news type stocks/follow the money stuff, so on better stocks you probably won't see this crazy sell off, basically some big players over sold at market and then once the orders got filled down the line it crashed it. Like you check what happen with APRN for another extreme example today, overvalued /maybe news of keeping food stock (I didn't check so just a thought) etc etc and it fell by 50%. because huge sells occurred and it was basically a crash (I mean if you didn't sell at $26 but held to 28... and it dumped.,, this is how tight stops help - I really like trailing stop loss and make it tight on hard reads, sure I might lose out on top, but again if I varied it and got rid of most near top, that's perfect, profit is what matters here, especially on short plays)

I know this is going long... but one other thing is sometimes.. people will set pre-buys , like the other day Disney hit $80, like you might have set a limit buy of $81 (and if people fear the market/stock and are selling your order of $81 would have got filled). Sure it's not the absolute bottom, but people will run that down the line, like 100 shares at 85 some at 84 83 and so on, so certain marks to catch the knife. You can do the exact same setting limit sells or stop limits (like trailing example to avoid major loss on these wild runs some of these have been on). so at profit you make money (I typically only do this on day trades, or if I can't watch it, or volume/ride is out of control). I also don't suggest setting marks to buy unless it's one you want to keep, but very rarely (probably winning the lotto at this point a flash crash might occur) and what that means is a stock was so over sold/algo'd to death that all the shares were bought up, so a stock might for a split second go from $100 to $10 back to $100 - I wouldn't bank on this due to market/circuit stops/halts but this is what I am talking about- https://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/flash-crash.asp so I might set more realistic ones, like $75-80 for Disney I mentioned few pages ago, I am now rethinking that amount and don't have anything placed... You do this if you're not actively watching, this way you don't miss an opportunity, if you buy it at 81 and it goes down to 75 and you like it... buy more to average down, and if you think its going further down sell and let it dip more, then rebuy in to average down (either way), obviously selling/rebuying is very risky but people do it, especially on stocks they like. If you do this method, do a small amount up to 50% to test it and learn. Ie dont make the move where you sell everything at 81 and it jumps to 85 and never comes back down. Like I wouldn't count on that yet but it happens. It's like the opposite of missing profit on something.

Anyway, just some tips. I will try to see if I can find more stuff or explain this better, this ran way long. And there's certainly more strategies out there, but thought this might be helpful for some. Note that I am certainly not financial wall street star. haha. Currently I am just trying to make up loss and get as much as I can making multiple moves, and then like I mentioned before buy in heavy to major players -airlines/disney/apple. And again buying those now is probably fine, but if you can make more to reinvest that's even better.

And again, please don't read this as absolute, with all the government deals, and bailouts etc it definitely can complicate things, that's why I have been making short moves, and this week have rarely left heavy things overnight. I did it last night because there were insane orders on WTRH coming in, like 35k order and more at 4:58 pm in AH iirc, just insane. So I went for it, and it paid off. I still have my 5 shares I was holding, but I did it for the hell of it, in case we get an APRN situation, but this is not looking likely, unless some great news comes.

Last thing, stock software helps a ton, I haven't been using anything lately..., since this word of mouth stuff are pretty quick gains, but if you study volumes + news it will absolutely help make buy-ins a lot more successful in this type of market. Especially looking at trade volumes in real time. I hope this helps some, and by all means some of this stuff might be risky, so it's not financial advice, but I think some safe moves here, will allow you to put more money into the stocks that matter later.

RKREBORN likes this.
  3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

And just bet safe :) hehe, I am sure we're all going crazy being stuck at home! I definitely gamble too (especially poker), but on stocks I try to make more safe plays to earn over time, a few big ones here and there, but you want to accumulate as much as you can and then let it sit on the big stocks we talked about (at least that's my plan right now). I am hoping to time entry right, but with Corona going or if I get busy at work... I might just do it sooner, but I don't see that happening any time soon... so I am looking forward to all of us making more money.

RKREBORN likes this.
  4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Very nice move! I missed out but absolutely agree, I'm going to watch pre-trade in morning but I think this will be similar to other stocks we've had go on a run in the morning (I might make a quick buy/sell - small volume bump - if we get more news/solid volume on pre-market). I'm hoping you kill it regardless, really nice moves. if nice gap up I'll probably hold off.

I'll be sure to share anything I find or invest in, unfortunately only real move was the one I closed out on WTRH had a few things come up today making me basically out on the stocks and then missed buying in at least in AH.. Currently still have the 5 stocks left on WTRH (I held for hell of it), hoping some announment for another mini-trace but should have at least dumped in AH probably. Also, APRN we might want to check in morning, they announced being able to meet demand, but I am curious to see if investors moved on or are buying in. I am still holding some VXRT too atm.

5. likestohypeguy

[​IMG]

Joshfast, Sajan and CCity Zero like this.
  6. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

jsingles likes this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, yeah... I'm definitely not the best and went on crazy book of text here.

Was just trying to detail how crazy trading is atm, so to take profits even if they're early vs nothing (ie if you see some weird stuff going with volumes cut it and move to the next), and wait to put back in the good stocks (hopefully we get some good news for everyone on this damn virus).

Looking back at this book I posted.... , I probably should have just put bullet points... Just a lot of experience being on the other side of these trades over the years (vs like long term holds) has made me learn me get better at outs and not holding on emotions/getting greedy.

Hopefully links help someone, but I'll definitely try to share anything I'm trading, I hope all of us can make something to re-roll into better things. Just a mess atm on the market... Like what really concerns me is some people who were ready to retire/just retired might have been crippled by this mess. I mean I hope not but sucks

peleincubus and RKREBORN like this.
  8. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Dude it was awesome, thank you very much.

CCity Zero likes this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Since I don't really daytrade anymore, I've got nothing to add. Just have a lot of money on the side and waiting to start jumping in and let it ride. :D

CCity Zero and Sajan like this.
  10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right now, I'm mainly out and waiting, possibly research tonight and I'll try to share whatever moves I make, but right now meaningless 5 shares of Waitr, and small amount in VXRT, so waiting for next plans.

I've been leaving in overnight this week only on some of the gap up plays we made. With that said, unless we get some crazy closing news whatever moves decent I'll probably close out at end of the day. I don't feel we should sit over weekend unless we feel super good about some news we see.

Obviously this doesn't apply to any long holds but I'm waiting to put those back in. I have a feeling you're right tomorrow will be rough with the bad news we're seeing on the damn virus.

So with that said, tonight and in the morning depending how market looks from futures/global market, might go with those short funds like nasdaq one from link above/maybe an energy type one, but also watching for vaccine/drug Co or med supplies like @jsingles mentioned, obviously if gap is way up or volume looking off I will hold on entry. But I feel it'll be a good gap up so should be good profit for some of us already in. I recommend taking profits and don't wait too long.

Then on APRN I'm going to watch for a mini play -
    https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/87D4A812-6A1F-11EA-AFE6-3B7F98D26610 I don't think this is enough to move it but I want to see premarket, like I have a feeling it's at least worth checking. Again none of these are for sure yet, but I'll try to update everyone or share stuff I come across.

11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Thanks so much! I will try to share anything I see and if you have any questions on anything just let me know. I'm definitely trying to show stuff I learned and being more safe.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Im thinking about Boeing long if it drops much more.

CCity Zero likes this.
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Have you ever considered getting a CFA charter?

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, I meant to mention hell of a nice move on this. I basically want us all to make gains to reinvest in the long terms. Especially on the sale we're seeing.

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I seriously was looking at It before, I really should just do it or at least look at materials more. Like I definitely enjoy looking at these types of things. How about you?

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I think this and airlines will be a very good move, I mean airlines and planes, that's something we're not going to give up. And bailouts coming, it'll be a good play

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah it’s my tentative plan after I finish school in a year and a half. I’ve done a decent amount of research into getting it and I think it could help me in the long run personally at the very least investing even if it doesn’t benefit my career that much.

CCity Zero likes this.
  18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I don't even know how to comprehend what I posted above

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

surprised it's not a higher number I assume?

lol :eek:

CCity Zero likes this.