1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

#BeWell Rockets Legend...

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm both happy and sad for Donuts. He's truly a stranger in a strange land, with a nod to Dr Heinlein. At least he feels safe. Maybe.

RustyHarden likes this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

ding ding ding —> from late January.

@robbie380 , @malakas , and @ThatBoyNick doing early work in this thread. Right? Thanks to y’all.

4. Major

Major Member

For all the gloom and doom and the seeming impossibility of stopping this thing, it's worth noting that China seems to have stopped it and life is starting to return to normal less than 3 months after the virus first hit and about 2 months after all the quarantining started. That's pretty incredible.

Hakeemtheking, Jontro and R0ckets03 like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

I hope everyone remembers this and we are substantially more ready for the next one, the real-er one. Because it's going to happen, just like this one was inevitable.

6. Buck Turgidson

If there's one thing to learn for the future, it's this.

CCity Zero likes this.
  7. TheRedRanger

TheRedRanger Member

8. Buck Turgidson

Cletus calling Applebees: "I would like an order of your jalapeeno poppers and a gallon of margaritas, please."

Mazulis, B-Bob, NotInMyHouse and 3 others like this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. Buck Turgidson

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

While the longest incubation length is about 14-27 days even, the average one has been updated to 5-6 days.

You'll get symptoms rather sooner than later. If at all.

https://www.contagionlive.com/news/coronavirus-incubation-period-is-about-5-days-study-estimates

#3071 daywalker02, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wasn't that mainly a cult thing?

Contain the cult, contain 70% of all infected?

#3072 daywalker02, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

14. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

No problem here its in short and the main points.

There are 2 main things in my case.

1. Kideny disease for the last 15 years with very high hypertension(even though im on a diet and training regiment) and tremors.
    So this is why the Austrian case hits me pretty hard, i dont know how severe her disease was but i know that mine is deteriorating.

2. This has less to do with the coronavirus risk group and more with day to day but i was in a pretty rough accident when i was 14 and since then i lost alomst all of my hearing abilty in the right ear and sufferd permanent damage to both of my legs in the form of nerevs and muscels.
    Had to undergo 5 surgeries in 2 years and spend a long time on wheelchair and than crutches and a walking cane.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Take care of yourself and you should be extra protected.

1. Her condition should have been pretty bad as she was regularly in hospital way before she contracted the Sars Cov-2.
    Plus she got Diabetes at young age, which could have triggered a lot more.

malakas and Gdaliya like this.
  16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Just trying to help spread as much good information as I can. It can be hard to fight through the junk that gets spread so I’m doing my best to help out.

arkoe, donkeypunch, malakas and 3 others like this.
  17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Think we had up to 80km traffic jams at the Germany-Poland border yesterday.
    Every truck driver has to leave the truck and fill out forms, which is kinda nuts and takes ages.

They should at least send them the forms online to fill out before the start of their drive and then process it, the current system is nuts.

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Even though I’ve been following this awhile the weight of all this is really hitting me hard the past 2 days. This is an economic disaster that cannot bounce back in the V shape recovery that we are hoping for. There is too much damage occurring on too many fronts. Combine that with the energy crash and it’s real conundrum. I hope I’m dead wrong but I’m worried.

I truly do think we will save a lot of lives and that the human toll this virus takes will be minimized. However, I just wonder if the cost is going to be worth it as morbid as that sounds. I know we can’t allow the hospitals to get overloaded but we are paying an extreme price that I don’t think is being fully recognized. If we go all in on the chloroquine treatment and also bring in the avigan from Fuji when it becomes widely available then maybe that was the better route to go rather than possibly causing a depression.

I don’t know. I’m kind of rambling and should be asleep but it does seem like the anti virals appear to be very promising.

19. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Think of it this way. We are also trying to give the medical system breathing to with deal non COVID medical issues. If the system is strapped, the death rate for all those could also increase. The treatments you are describing are promising, but still being vetted. Even they have risks, and those risks are magnified at the scale of the world population.

robbie380, Invisible Fan and malakas like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member