1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade DeAndre Hopkins to Arizona

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 16, 2020.

1. 1234567

1234567 Member

QB cannot leave.
    Franchise tag.....
    Besides,
    Nothing new under the sun here.
    The GM has done this before....

Don't care as they will not win anything anyways, with or without D Hop.

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

I disagree. What if Watson's effectiveness completely falls off? Taking Hopkins away from him only works if there are consistent targets left, after Hopkins leaves.

For instance, Brady relies on Gronkowski, but even after Gronk left, Brady still had an Edelman to throw to. With the inconsistency in our WR corp and the fact that Watson usually has to save BoB's garbage offense, we might see Watson fail more than succeed, dampening any sort of progression.

3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Sure but regardless u have to trade equal value or at least a fair trade. We are literally going backwards

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

mikol13 likes this.
  5. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Stop Watching Bill O'brien because all he does is trade stars

6. SemisolidSnake

So, I don't follow football closely, so I don't know the answer to this question: Has the NFL experienced the phenomenon of players requesting or demanding to be traded like the NBA has?

The Reign of BO'B seems like a thing that might make some Texans players want to do that, but I don't know if it's ever been done before, or it's considered taboo in the NFL or what. Just curious.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

At the end of the season he told me he had a feeling he wouldn’t be on the team next season .

— The Mad King (@Kingkeraun) March 17, 2020

Since the last game he hasn’t talked to nobody up there until a few days ago.

— The Mad King (@Kingkeraun) March 17, 2020

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

in the NFL players can just hold out.

What happens is the player just decides they want a new contract and will hold out (not play) until they get one.

Players don't really demand off teams in the NFL because there is so much parity, you could literally be bottom of the league one year and top the next...also the cap is pretty strict so there is no hoarding of talent, so no one is going to demand to get traded to the NY Jets...they'll just say give me my money or I won't play or create a stink in the locker room so that you have to trade them like Ramsey did last year.

SemisolidSnake likes this.
  9. 1234567

1234567 Member

The thing is, they traded DHop with no cap hit, meaning no guarantee money. This was going to turn into a DBoard OT situation all over again, I am thinking like the GM who gives away top talent for peanuts now...

And that played a part in lowering his value for trade.

Ok none of this makes any sense but you got to think waaaaay out of the box here.....

Yes, worse trade ever in terms of value coming back so this trade gets a F for that.

10. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I was already fairly checked out due to the current Texans regime, but I think this pushes me over the edge. I'll check back when BoB is gone or the McNairs sell the team.

I hope Watson can get out of here and get with a good franchise.

nigma2000 and BigShasta like this.
  11. the shark

the shark Member

It makes NO SENSE!! NONE!!

You put as many weapons around a QB as possible. Watson is still young and learning.

Instead of trading away one of the best WR in the game and a guy who moves the chains on 3rd down consistently you work with Watson on going through his reads. Not trading him.

Plus Fuller is always hurt and Stills was new with the team (as was Duke) so it's going to take time to work on going through "reads".

More importantly, what Warner and you are not understanding is how PATHETIC their OL is and has been.

How in the world does any QB have time to go through "reads" when he's running for his life most of the time!!

No matter how you or anyone else wants to spin this the trade was made by a total idiot and signed off on by an even BIGGER IDIOT!!

Jake Tower likes this.
  12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Then Watson is not the QB we thought he was. It is up to Tim Kelly/TJ Yates/ and company to help Watson develop with leaning on Hopkins. The key to the whole thing though is what WR they get in the draft....AND Fuller staying HEALTHY (alot to hope for).

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

mikol13 and JayGoogle like this.
  14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This may actually be his plan.

Keep making the team terrible so he can crawl his way to 7-9 wins and eventually he'll own the team. A few more promotions until Cal just sells the team to him for a few thousand...

15. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

This is the most incompetent HC since Bill Peterson and after making this trade, Buttface managed to do something I'd never have imagined - actually make Bill Peterson look good.

Jturbofuel likes this.
  16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Commentators are shell-shocked by this mental lapse:

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It makes sense. How much, I think, is certainly open to interpretation.

In terms of teaching Watson... Look, I have no idea what prompted the deal. But Watson has now started 32 consecutive games; if he's not an old dog he's a middle age dog, and you know what they say...

I don't know if this is necessarily true. I don't think it's UNtrue.... But we're absolutely seeing *a lot* of young QBs develop with seemingly limited talent around them. And a lot of older QBs thrive with limited talent around them.

Yeah; to me, this is the obvious overriding issue. Whatever the merits of trading Hopkins (if any - and I would entertain that there might not be any), if you do it, you have to get a valid ROI and in that regard, the trade is an abject failure. I'm utterly flabbergasted they couldn't turn Hopkins into more than David Johnson and a 4. Even typing that is bananas. It's malpractice and BO'B and Easterby - and whoever else OK'ed the trade - should be immediately dismissed.

My hope is that - assuming there's a season - the fans will stay away in droves. At this point, it is seemingly the ONLY thing that will get Cal's attention.

I always thought Bob McNair was a nice owner - stayed (mostly) quiet and out of the way. But he was never urgent or proactive and he never put his stamp on the team. I was hoping Cal would bring greater agency but it's now all but certain we've taken a significant step back from an ownership perspective.

As much derision as BO'B deserves for this trade (and, really, his entire tenure as a GM), I'm reserving my ire for Cal McNair. He's the real villain here and no amount of house-cleaning - below him - is going to ultimately make a difference for this franchise and that's crushingly disappointing.

mikol13 likes this.
  18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Actually, the ONLY aging piece on defense is JJ Watt. The rest of the defense is young (relatively).

19. the shark

the shark Member

The most important factor in regards to Warner's comments (as I mentioned) is how pathetic their OL is.

I don't care if you're Montana, Brady, Staubach, Elway etc etc if you're always running for your life because of the limited time you have going through "reads" is an exercise in futility.

Having a guy like DHop is a God send. He makes so many acrobatic catches and it's hard to be accurate when you're on the run.

Again this trade makes no sense whatsoever and why dipshit is being destroyed by those who understand football.

mikol13 likes this.
  20. the shark

the shark Member

The most important factor in regards to Warner's comments (as I mentioned) is how pathetic their OL is.

I don't care if you're Montana, Brady, Staubach, Elway etc etc if you're always running for your life because of the limited time you have going through "reads" is an exercise in futility.

Having a guy like DHop is a God send. He makes so many acrobatic catches and it's hard to be accurate when you're on the run.

Again this trade makes no sense whatsoever and why dipshit is being destroyed by those who understand football.