1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

It’s starting here now.

2. malakas

malakas Member

Wait for Macron to speak. This is information from le monde journalist.

Joshfast likes this.
  3. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

He has spoken

#2663 TMac'n, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    Yung-T and malakas like this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Uh...this France thing is CRAZY.

5. malakas

malakas Member

Yes Turns out it isn't just Paris but the whole of France.
    You can only go to work, supermarket or pharmacy.

Just FYI in the last days, the parks of Paris were full of people one next to the other sitng , hugging each other playing games.
    Even when they had closed everything else like bars, cinemas and restaurants they found a way.
    Like here.
    Game of mouse and cat between the idiots and the state.

We must enter official lock down asap too otherwise we will die.

Nook, Richie_Rich, Miracle and 5 others like this.
  6. Spooner

Spooner Member

I am in Manhattan. Here is a story.

A music school that I work at inexplicably stayed open all of last week even though surrounding businesses were already closed. Music schools don’t serve meals to children and it is mystifying to me why anyone would even want to go to a piano lesson in a city wide state of emergency. On top of that, concerts were still going on in the recital hall with parents packed in a room one next to the other. Really? Nonetheless, I have bills to pay and I had to go to work as we are just now transferring to online learning. I taught a total of 5 children who went to the UNIS school where there have now been 3 cases of corona virus in the school among faculty. (would have been 6 children if not for a very sensible mother who decided to play it safe in case her son was infected) A little scary sure, but I wasn’t overly worried about it.

On Friday I teach a class of children and one child comes in and immediately starts chest coughing within 6 feet of everyone in the room. I felt in that moment out of the safety of everyone there that I needed to speak with the mother before continuing the lesson. “She’s fine I checked for fever” was her response. I thought ok, people sometimes cough especially young children lets not overreact and I continued the lesson, isolating the girl in the corner of the room. She began coughing later in the lesson, nasty coughs that sounded like bronchitis, at which point I promptly cut the lesson short. It wasn’t until much later that day that I came to find that this student was also going to UNIS. Not only that but a teacher in her age group was a confirmed case.

1. As the governor already warned, anyone with a cough should be at home. Not in a classroom of people.
    2. People can show 0 symptoms and pass the illness. It should be common knowledge to everyone by now.
    3. Children have very mild symptoms and a fever is far less likely to even occur in those infected.
    4. The mother didn’t think to mention to me when I talked with her in the hall, that she attended UNIS?
    5. If you are going to put everyone at risk because you can’t miss a music lesson can you at least give her a tissue to cough into or tell her to cough into her arm? She was running around coughing in front of her mom at one point and she said nothing to her about hygiene.
    6. Even after the class ends, I still have to teach for hours in the same room potentially exposing everyone else that enters the room from that point.
    7. If you are running a music school can you not think about your bottom line for 5 minutes and maybe screen students from infected schools? What is the point of even being open?

Make no mistake, I’m not too worried about myself. I’m a healthy, strong person. If I get it, I get it. But there are many people that will not be so lucky including people I am in direct contact with. She could have had a cold, kids get plenty of small illnesses. Who knows. But why would you take a chance like that? Especially considering she had been in an area that was confirmed to be infected and she is clearly displaying a nasty cough. This level of arrogance is not going to get it done and is highly frustrating. I fear whether we like it or not there are many Americans that will act this way regardless of the circumstances and that is very troubling if we are to get this under control. The school cloroxed everything over 9000 times but just anyone can walk in? This whole scenario was unbelievable to me and I’m sure there are far more incidents similar to this all over the city. Complete arrogance and negligence. People in Houston, this is a reminder to be cautious and don’t be assholes to each other. Please take this seriously. NYC is a mess right now.

7. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

1210 new cases and 21 new deaths today, things would get much worse for them like pepole already said here they didnt care enough.
    Just go to see Evan Fournier twitter and see the pictures from Bordeaux, they just dont listen so the state is forced to react.

malakas likes this.
  8. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

https://pages.semanticscholar.org/coronavirus-research

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Macron is doing the right thing. It won't be long before Germany follows.

Nook and malakas like this.
  10. malakas

malakas Member

Idiots are everywhere not just americans.

You are still at the point of expecting government measures to pay out, but you will soon find out that the only measure that is idiot proof is quarantine.

That's why France , Czech Republic, Italy and Spain are now quarantined.

Because of the millions of idiots who are selfish arrogant and have the IQ of a dead turnip.

The Italians also had the advice and state measures, to practice social distance and self isolation.
    The Spaniards also had the advice and state measures, to practice social adistance and self isolation.

Nothing works against human stupidity only extreme quarantine. That's it.

In the meantime, for the not stupid protect yourself or at least your parents and grandparents.

Nook likes this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

In good news

South Korea has peaked and is starting to decline.

Germany on over 7200 cases has only 15 deaths which is a .02% death rate, only twice that of the flu. It looks like some of the Nordic countries, as well as Belgium, Austria, have low death rates so far as well.

TheFreak likes this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

Good.
    Now export some millions of your test kits if you don't need them anymore.

RKREBORN and TMac'n like this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm afraid I don't have millions of test kits :(

arkoe and malakas like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Austrians estimate the peak in one month before it goes down a little.

malakas likes this.
  15. omgTHEpotential

Thing is, out of 7241 German cases, 7161 are still ongoing/active. There are only 80 closed cases so far, it consists of 65 recoveries and 15 deaths.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yes but this is the case for nearly all countries. The deaths usually come in fast, they have been slow in Germany, hopefully they stay slow.

17. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I confess I didn't read the article. I agree it should be as close to 100% as possible, meaning no non-essential contact.

18. omgTHEpotential

That's true. Way too early to tell one way or the other.

19. malakas

malakas Member

You think you are so late behind even with bordering northern Italy and thousands of Italians passing the borders every day to come to work in Tyrol?
    Is Tyrol at least in quarantine or lockdown?

Btw the UK yesterday said that they were 4 weeks behind.
    Today they said they are 3 weeks behind and London at least 1 week ahead of the rest of the country.

20. malakas

malakas Member

So far for both Italy and China a death comes about 3 weeks after first show of symptoms.
    Unless the very old or immunosuppresed. These people can't fight that long.