1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Predict the Post-Coronavirus COVID-19 World

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

My take:
    • Death of big box retail physical stores in many sectors. Retail companies that don’t have a strong online presence and disto system will fail
    • A shift to delivery for everything
    • Social interactions between casual acquaintances will shift to non physical
    • Social greeting will shift to non physical
    • Telecommuting rise for office work
    • A slew of retirements by those in fear or those who can’t adapt to change (mostly boomers)
    • Fear of strangers
    • Deterioration in social skills
    • Teledoctor availability will rise
    • Distance education will come into its own, including grade school
    • Biomed/research work will increase
    • Massive shift for entertainment industry.
      • Many ‘live shows’ will be televised and extra perks will be offered for a price
      • People will own protective gear if they attend. It will also be offered for sale
      • Movies will shift to release simultaneously on PPV with theatre release
      • Entertainer salaries will decrease at first. This includes pro athletes
    My hope:
    • An emphasis on healthy eating and exercise
    • More regulation on preserving natural habitats worldwide

What else can you think of?

#1 Xerobull, Mar 15, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  2. malakas

malakas Member

I will be commited to a mental institution.

3. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It will depend if this is something that will come, do its damage, and then go away forever or something that is similar to a world-wide hurricane that comes and goes as it pleases.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

With the death of half of the worlds boomers, us millennials will finally own all the helicopters and zoos.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you are overestimating the effect just a bit. They'll come out with a vaccine in 2 years and then people will forget this ever happened. The disease will get set aside in a little corner where we keep the true horrors of the past like measles. Antivaxers will claim Covid-19 wasnt nearly as bad as the vaccine and will ensure continued limited outbreaks, and everybody else will call them out for being morons and that will be the only time we think about it.

How many people actually know what rubella actually is? How many remember what measles or polio actually used to do to children?

Not sure if you are old enough to remember the AIDS hysteria in 1984. People would hide their cause of death to avoid getting labeled. Funeral homes were refusing to bury those who were infected. "The gay plague".

A year or two ago I read an article about a sharp rise in unprotected sex among gay men. Medical gloves and masks and condom use is just about all that came out of AIDS, and even the later is being slowly rolled back. Covid-19 is a picnic compared to dying of AIDS. If it's not constantly threatening people to their face, people will forget.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

I also predict South Park will make start their season off with a all time great episode about this experience, followed by 9 turds.

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gen X has been waiting in the wings, biding our time. We will seize control while you arent looking and rule the world with an iron fist that has you remembering fondly the good old days of boomer condescension and scorn. It's our time. No helicopters for you.

8. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The hysteria will be over by July/August, we'll have some antivirals that blunt the worse effects, it'll be endemic, and we'll move on.

I do think working from home will become more embedded into corporate cultures as companies are forced to implement it and their employees end up liking it.

I think the books will be re-written on how to handle a pandemic from a public health point of view.

Other than that, it'll be a memory except for your COVID shot that you'll get along with your flu shot (maybe even mixed in?).

ArtV and BleedsRocketRed like this.
  9. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

I might be wrong, but once SARS and MERS settled down - we never got to the vaccines. Not sure if funding dried up etc but -it was a hot topic for a minute then it went away. *not comparing to the new virus just saying

No Worries and BleedsRocketRed like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

2 chopper Fertitta.

Kim likes this.
  11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

CoronaVirus is the singularity.

ronclone and KingCheetah like this.
  12. Xerobull

I memby. I'm 46. I don't think you can compare a blood-borne virus to a mucus-borne virus. It's hard to get someone else's blood in to your body, because people generally don't bleed on each other, except during sex (anal or during menstruation)

I disagree with overestimating, and I'm working from real data and have a personal friend who has a PhD in virology to bounce questions off of. This is a national emergency and a worldwide pandemic, and the entire world is shifting culturally to a more shut-in mentality to self-isolate. If death tolls climb towards six figures in the US, this won't be a forgotten, momentary 'flu'.

A lot of what I listed was already gathering steam, it's now just being kicked into another gear.

Richie_Rich and ronclone like this.
  13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

He's getting a spaceship with the non-refunded money from all the season ticket holders. He will literally look down his nose on all of us.

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I believe we will create a global health risk system. In any particular region, it will range 1 to 5. It will just be pushed to peoples device wherever they are, much like the weather.

1 would be basic everyday normals. Wash your filthy and keep them clean. If you're sick, stay home. If you have to go out in public, wear a friggen mask. Face masks should be a common item in any household, like TP. Much like TP, you dont wait until after you need it.

2 social distance yourself if you've been around anyone sick. Keep sick people strictly quarantined. Dont go to work when you know you're sick. If a child is sick, dont let them play around the house with everyone else.

3 heightened protocol. start social distancing. dont shake hands. start being proactive. wear stylist n95 masks if you are dealing with large amounts of people on a day to day basis. Identify common filth deposits and keep them frequently cleaned. Depending on the risk factor of whatever health risk, high risk people should start staying home.

4 Encourage large groups to cancel events. People should stay away from each other. Stop going out in high traffic areas unless necessary. Stores start restrictions

5 PANDEMIC!!! Raid the stores, board your windows, stock up on gas. Stay glued to 24/7 media.

Instead, we went 1, 4, 5 ... and now trying to back it down to 3. Tom Hanks should not have been the final straw to declare a global pandemic.

Xerobull likes this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Depends how bad it get. Let's said it get really bad...

Supply Chain changes - not so heavily tied to any single country

A much more robust world wide detection and response system (including stock-piling emergency response and protection equipment, a global "pause" button)

Large business investments into all of the above

Bye bye Trumpy and anti-science, anti-expert politicians everywhere

Here in the US
    - care for all
    - policy that allow people to "pause" for weeks

Xerobull and ronclone like this.
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

i think you might be right w some of those predictions. Could really, for example, be the end of the handshake, which has always been pretty disgusting.

Had dinner w some high-end biomedical types last night (long sad story), but they fear this will be endemic, and worse than the flu, even w eventual vaccine that will only be partly effective anyway.

Xerobull likes this.
  17. Xerobull

Good on! I meant to mention change manufacturing location diversification. We got cheap labor from China for decades but we’re paying for it now.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What?

Don't be that guy.

Sajan likes this.
  19. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Both of you are off base. In this dystopia we will see the rise of the mighty Xennials, we will bridge the gap in ideologies and take our place as the prophesied ruling class of the wastelands. Let it be known.

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

Lol iron fist? No one cares about the middle child. We will tip Gen X well when they gas up our helicopters.

Gen Z will bring back eating paint chips.