1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

COVID-19/Coronavirus NBA Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Maromi, Mar 2, 2020.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

You're right in that your source is "more optimistic". That being said, I don't know how your response was an attempt to "be encouraging" by stating that the NBA and NCAA (and, by extension, other professional sports leagues as I'm writing this) are "losing their minds" simply because they want to prevent further spread of a virus. Your friend and other doctor friends thinks this "epidemic" is overblown while the WHO simply put this as a pandemic yesterday....I'm going to trust and go with the latter organization.

As for the "we will all see how it plays out"...I surely hope you're not suggesting that there's some kind of victory that comes out of this for you and your friends if the virus doesn't affect hundreds or thousands of people in this country.

Here's an article about the heat theory:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/flu-comes-back-every-year-will-coronavirus/

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Before last weekend, my attitude toward this coronavirus crisis was "don't overreact." But now, I have changed my mind to "be responsible to help contain this situation." This change is not because of the NBA decision to stop the season, but because of having read some informative articles.

Now I have realized that this is not about how likely I will be killed by the virus (which I believe to be extremely unlikely). It is about how bad it will be to EVERYONE if the communities, the countries, the world is over-burdened by a lot of sick people that need urgent medical help.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Totally respect what you were trying to say, and I think what we can all try to say is that being matter-of-fact and calm is absolutely the best. No need to go crazy stockpiling stuff, etc. We're still going to have to buy groceries, and be civil to each other, and just wash our hands.

Where I disagree with you slightly might be on the idea of "total cases." Just speaking scientifically and statistically, we have a lot of unmeasured cases. So it's very tough, without knowing how many people have been tested and how many actual cases we have among us, to say it's under-blown or over-blown. Also, let's say there's actually 500 cases in TX right now. (Easily true). In a month, that could easily be 50,000 cases unless you have some sort of organized and significant intervention, with social distancing, etc. That's how exponentials work given an aggressive Ro value and untested cases walking around.

People are just scared b/c this critter is new. For everyone blaming the media -- which I totally get -- well, they are just serving up what people are clicking and refreshing to read, basically. Their audience wants (for the most part) 24/7 virus updates, because it is a little new and scary and affecting economies. It's kind of a chicken and egg thing.

Anyway, I know you don't want to reply, and that's cool. None expected.

AroundTheWorld, CCity Zero and Sajan like this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That's really well said, thanks.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. eman

eman Contributing Member

Oh this hurts

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They'd have to test players every other day.

I understand that there is a shortage of tests.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Covid-33 averaging 3 blocks a game...

12. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Virus Game Action: 03/12/2020

FLASH21 likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

NBA Unable To Test Every Player Due To Shortage Of Tests

The NBA is unable to test every player currently in the league for COVID-19, according to sources that spoke with Sam Amick of The Athletic.

A test of every player would give the NBA a medical baseline from which to work moving forward in hopes of resuming play at some point after the current 30-day minimum suspension of the league.

COVID-19 tests have been extremely difficult to come by at this point, but the entire contingent with the Utah Jazz totaling 58 were tested on Wednesday in Oklahoma City. Of the 58 tests, only Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell tested positive at this time.

Adam Silver Suggests NBA Finals Could Take Place In July If Season Resumes

Adam Silver appeared on TNT's Inside the NBA to discuss the possibilities of how the rest of the season could play out.

Silver suspended the league for at least 30 days in an open letter to NBA fans.

While Silver did not rule out suspending the season for good, he added that the league could stretch out the season into July if need be.

“Even if we are out for a month, even if we are out for six weeks, we could still restart the season. It might mean that the Finals take place in July or late July. It was way premature to suggest that we had lost the season," said Silver.

Brad Turner of the LA Times reported that Lakers players came away from a conference call with the sense that NBA owners want to finish the regular season and playoffs, even if it takes the season into July or August.

16. JW86

JW86 Member

So basically all the elite rich guys can train on their home property, since most have a court outside and or inside, but for the rest will be tough. Or just play defense by giving guys 3 feet hahah ;)

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

n/m

#117 heypartner, Mar 13, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    AroundTheWorld and daywalker02 like this.
  18. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Stock market realized tanking doesn't get them a #1 draft pick...

...because there is no NBA.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No contact, no fouls, no physicality would be best. No defense.

20. Pringles

Pringles Member

Exactly sums of how I feel now and the timeline it took to get there.

Easy likes this.