1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rodeo Has Been Cancelled

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Mar 11, 2020.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Read the report I just posted.
    I’m really not trying to play hide his head in the sand bumpkin. There should be worry, just not the mass hysteria kind

2. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

3. Buck Turgidson

I was insinuating that you and others keep saying it's just like the flu when all 3 of those organizations have made it a point to say the exact opposite.

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I didn’t say it was just like the flu. I said it was similar, and those organizations have been comparing it to the flu with some differences.
    Same type of symptoms, from viral infections, causing respiratory problems that lead to death.
    Depending on where you look, they have comparable mortality rates and contagion rates.

The fact is it’s a small sample size as of right now. Flu has vaccines that limit the rate and therefore mortality rate.

Buck Turgidson and plates300 like this.
  5. Roscoe Arbuckle

Better question: Who to believe, the CDC and doctors... or the media. I know which you are following...

VanityHalfBlack and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Dr Fauci from the CDC:

paraphrasing

If you are in the high risk groups (elderly, underlying conditions) must suspend travel and distance from public social now. Not tomorrow, not later. Now. That was 2 days ago.

I can’t tell how many death or infected. That all depends on how we respond. If we don’t have aggressive mitigation and containment, many millions . That’s today.

This is a serious problem and people need to take it seriously. Recommend no large crowd. If no audience in basketball, so be it.

People said this is similar to the flu. Flu this flu that. No. Flu has a mortality rate of 0.1%. This is 10x that.

BTW, a best guesstimate for the American Hospital Association shows... 96m cases, 0.5 cfr, 480k deaths. and said prepare for disease burden roughly 10x of a severe flu season. (But no details and so we don’t know the assumptions applied ... however, no it’s not similar to the flu ... not yet... maybe it is when we have a vaccine in 1-2 years.)

7. Roscoe Arbuckle

Which is the same mortality rate as SARS 15 years ago. I don't recall this crap back then.

This isn't the Black Plague, numbskulls. Proper hygiene is about all we can truly do in this scenario, which will be a distant memory in a year...

And I'm not just pulling this out of my ass. The most vocal about this being BS are my Doctor friends on FB.

plates300 likes this.
  8. Roscoe Arbuckle

"As of March 6, there have only been 100,000 reported cases worldwide of this new strain coronavirus, COVID 19, with 3,600 deaths, and 80,000 of these cases were in China. The first case was reported on December 29. During the past two months there is estimated to have been only 80,000 coronavirus cases in China. The population of China is 1.5 billion. Only 1 in 20,000 Chinese have contracted the coronavirus, so far. Around 150 million Chinese would have to contract the coronavirus illness to reach the same proportion of Americans—10 percent—who had the flu last season."

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

SARs has a way higher mortality rate than this.

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You are literally using the worst source of information for your little rant.

12. Roscoe Arbuckle

BTW, . I have no problem with people who would like to stay in for preventative reasons, but when it is hurting people's livelihoods, I get pissed. (and it doesn't hurt mine)

13. Roscoe Arbuckle

You are a troll. We've already identified that. And why do you keep responding to me randomly? I've shown I couldn't care less about you.

14. KingCheetah

Yet here we are.

B-Bob, Jugdish, Nook and 2 others like this.
  15. KingCheetah

Link or is this a Facebook comment?

16. Buck Turgidson

I don't watch tv news, so I have no idea how hysterical they are being. Links and posts from this bbs are how I'm following this.

This post has me quoted as saying something I did not say, for whatever reason.

KingCheetah likes this.
  17. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Wow.....someone still believes China’s reporting.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. Roscoe Arbuckle

Yeah, I have zero idea why it quoted you. I didn't manipulate it.

19. likestohypeguy

Yeah but isn't it killing a higher percentage of the sick and elderly, who catch it? Even those of us who are young and healthy, interact with people who aren't, or interact with those who interact with people who aren't... idk that "harsh words" are uncalled for here.

20. KingCheetah

As in the NBA had a season.