1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Grizzlies @ Rockets 2/26/2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 26, 2020.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i am looking like a freaking genius now... i prophetized rockets will be elite defensively come playoffs time and the prophecy was made when the doubters were in full force perhaps a month ago

HP3, topfive, Hakeemtheking and 6 others like this.
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You've got a point there. So, I'll just find a gif for how I feel right now.

[​IMG]

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  3. don grahamleone

saleem, hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Austin’s much improved shooting is a great boon for us. Go Austin Go!

Other observations: Our off the ball defense needs improvement, and we need to avoid careless turnovers. DMC has slowed down since the Nets days, but I’m glad he can give Tucker short breathers.
    @ApacheWarrior @BaselineFade @D-rock

5. don grahamleone

I think DMC just needs to shake some rust off. Playing time now might shake it off in time for the playoff run. I'd play him for at least one stretch per game until then. Who knows.. maybe I'm wrong and the knees are gone but he seems like he's still got some juice.

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

HP3 and don grahamleone like this.
  7. j@amc

j@amc Member

I don't think he's ever played for a coach that wanted him to pull the trigger on the 3 quite like MDA. Against Memphis, he just didn't look comfortable taking those shots. But I think with some more game experience he'll adjust.

8. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Hey Don, I hear your sister's going out with SQUEAK!

9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The last two games PJ only played 24mpg. He's at 32mpg in the last ten. Anything we can do to keep him fresh is great by me. I'm glad for the depth we have now. We played nine guys in the first quarter and this is without EGo.

10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

also lower harden and westys minutes to 33/34 a night to get them superfresh for the playoffs

MDA needs to play Austin and BMac 25 minutes a night while Ego is out

saleem, Patience and D-rock like this.
  11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Whos the ref that teched up WB. I knew he was a rigger. Refs need to be drug tested with this bullshit they pull.

ico4498, saleem, rhee and 3 others like this.
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

strange how this rule is applied. you would think guys like marcus smart, rubio, ingles, and jj barea, for instance, would get warnings 2x per week

deb4rockets, D-rock, Zboy and 3 others like this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

@heypartner, what happens if it goes beyond a "warning?" A "louder" warning? Some sort of fine? Even suspending the offender from playing a game? I'm genuinely curious, because I can't recall a player, any player, getting more than a "warning" for flopping. I'm asking you, because you are an excellent source for things NBA related.

Now maybe I missed a stronger reaction, but if all that ever happens is a "warning," and we've all seen countless instances of flopping from numerous players, some famous for doing it, some even members of the Rockets (never!), then doesn't that make the "actions" of the league, at least when it comes to flopping, meaningless? And if they are meaningless, doesn't that encourage flopping?

D-rock likes this.
  15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Apparently Austin Rivers was struggling with a thumb injury. An article kinda predicted Rivers was about to take off.
    https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/20...stin-rivers-catching-fire-from-3-point-range/

The 5-out sets not only bring Westbrook/Harden open lanes but also Eric Gordon and Rivers.....among others.

Statmuse had a nice tweet that B/R picked up.
    “Traditional centers have struggled against the 6’ 7” or less Rockets.
    Ayton: 12p/ 6 reb/ 2 blk
    Gobert: 12p/ 6 reb/ 2 blk
    Cody Zeller: 3P/ 3 reb/ 0 blk
    Kanter: 0P/ 3 reb/ 0 blk
    JaVale McGee: 4P/ 5 reb/ 1 blk

Rockets 10-2”

*I expected with more 3-pt shooters (Jeff Green/ DeMarre Carroll/ Covington/ Caboclo....improved
    over Capela/Harty 3’s) greater spacing would be created for Harden/WB. More spacing in turn provides
    more efficiency for Harden/WB......more efficiency of Harden/WB provides more open 3’s (greater efficiency w/ 3’s).

*Im against “Small-Ball” while using mostly PG’s/SG’s, but I’m for “Small-Ball” using mostly SF’s. The Rockets have
    found a happy median for me. Mostly PG’s/ (small-ish)SG’s can’t defend the post as well as multiple SF’s switching
    on defense.

*Not a fan of Jeff Green because of his reputation as a non defender, but I must admit the Rockets hit gold with
    Green to this point. His 3’s, all around offense has been good.....but I’ve been very impressed with his defense
    to this point. Still elevates (head near rim) well.

*D Carroll has been a little slow to catch on to the Rockets mindset; but I expected that since he hasn’t played since
    around Jan 8th (I believe)......and Popovich messed up his mind/confidence with his passing 10 times to work for an
    efficient shot. In time DMC will get back to the Nets/Rockets mindset of “bombs away!!” Eric Gordon, Harden, Jeff
    Green, Covington, Tucker (saw it last P.O.), Clemons, Rivers are not afraid of shooting 8 three’s in a game if need be.
    Hopefully DMC and House get there as well. Shooting is contagious. DMC will get his confidence back & “Bombs Away”

*i calculated that as long as the Rockets shoot 50 threes in a game, they need to hit 32% or greater to win most games
    in this “Small-Ball” arrangement. Rockets were around 34% to 35% at the time of the Covington trade....now they
    have climbed to 37% as a team last time I looked. I read an article back when we had Ariza/Ryan Anderson about
    how the Rockets shooting about 28 feet from the rim makes it almost impossible for even the best defensive teams
    to cover all the square footage the Rockets shooters create. I expect the 3P% to improve (in turn allow Harden/WB
    to be more efficient.....vice-versa) even greater and soon be approx 50 attempts or greater per game.

Here is an article similar to the one I read back then
    https://www.thedreamshake.com/2017/1/8/14202782/rockets-deep-three-point-shootinb

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/20/14284896/houston-rockets-three-point-stats-mike-dantoni

Edited:
    P.S. don’t ask me how we beat the Celtics? We shot about 23% from three on that game.
    Musta accentuated the positives elsewhere.

#875 ApacheWarrior, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    SuperKev, D-rock, noppeper and 3 others like this.
  16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Great stuff as usual Apache. Defense first, all game long will always give us a chance to win even when the shots aren't falling. I'm glad with the ball movement, everyone is getting involved.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Kyle Lowry should be getting 2-3 every game.

ico4498, saleem and pippendagimp like this.
  18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

lulz, i posted that in the Dish thread "what are the refs doing" and mentioned Bev, Smart and Ingles...haha

Someone should do a split-screen comparison of the Brooks offical flop v them.

hakeem94 and pippendagimp like this.
  19. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Clearly you are trolling or you are the biggest moron here. Baron Davis was a high volume very low efficiency player. Harden is an extremely *high efficiency high volume player, so much so he is among the all time best. Baron Davis was a below average shooter - even free throws. Harden is a super star because his moves actually work.

20. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Strange but true stories of the NBA and it's biased implementation of the rules by the officials.