1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Saw Harden, PJ Tucker, and Russ today at Kobe/Gianna Celebration.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rofflesaurus, Feb 24, 2020.

1. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

They left before it was over. Pics in a bit. I sat in Row H in front of the stage.

Very sad event.

2. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Here are some pics:

awc713, Hakeemtheking and lionaire like this.
  3. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Here's a vid of them leaving:

4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

interesting how none of his family was mentioned. The parents and sisters were never mentioned. They were not acknowledged at all In words or photos. As if they didn’t even exist. The choice of speakers was interesting. Some of those people weren’t his closest friends but were chosen. Curious why none of his family (sisters) spoke. We may never know. MJ had the best speech of the night.

pr0wler and BaselineFade like this.
  5. blackistan

blackistan Member

There is some beef within the family (parents I believe) but I'm glad they were even invited because they have been pretty much non existent in his adult life ever since Kobes parents tried to sell off some his memorabilia.

BaselineFade likes this.
  6. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

The rift between Kobe and his family ran deep, it's so sad that they never repaired their issues.

pr0wler and BaselineFade like this.
  7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

yeah it’s interesting. Well there were reports that he reconciled with the dad recently as were seen by eyewitnesses. Not sure about his mother. They were on non speaking terms. It would be the right thing to do from his wife’s standpoint to include them publicly to end whatever they had going on in celebrating his life. Unfortunate. At least have photos of them on the jumbo screen. We didn’t even get to see that. They raised, fed and taught him they deserve to be there. Oh well that’s her decision.

#7 Stephen_A, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Well the ESPN report just came out said every detail of the event was approved by venessa and Bryant family. Interesting.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Strange that the parents weren't there but God knows it would have been difficult for them to endure.

Kobe's parents didn't show up at his wedding because (a) he was too young to get married (probably true) and (b) seldom mentioned publicly but his parents didn't approve of him marrying someone not an African American. Although the birth of the grandkids thawed the ice some, I imagine the hurt didn't entirely go away.

10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I thought they said the parents were there but just not mentioned

11. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i hope all the proceeds went to his wife/kids

12. ballgame

ballgame Member

I'm not sure but probably a Charity or his Foundation...I'm sure his family is well taking care of.

13. impressivegol

impressivegol Member

Kobe's parents were there. There was a shot of Shaq and him (edit: Kobe's dad, 'Bean') hugging toward the end last night.

14. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

His parents were constantly shown on the jumbotron. Not sure what was shown on TV.

15. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Yeah if I remember correctly he had a major falling out with them after they started selling his memorabilia even some that he gave then despite Kobe giving them money, a house and all kind of stuff. His parent also didn't like Vanessa Bryant and decided to associate with Kobe because of their relationship. It probably didn't help that his family made this stuff public instead of keeping it in house.

16. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

He rekindled a bit with his dad I think. It's his mom that he never patched things up with. These things happen. It's none of my business honestly and I wish them all well after this tragedy.

17. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

You provide your son with advice after that it's his decision. You raised him so it's on you as a parent. Once he made the decision all you can do is support him. I think his mom and sisters may have went way over board with their reaction to Vanessa and as always hate doesn't workout in your favor.

However, for them not to repair that relationship is sad on all parts...Kobe's mom with 2 daughters and Vanessa with 3 daughters.