1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Wave money in someone's face and it's business. Behave as though you're above it all and you're likely to be a hypocrite.

2. CinematicFusion

3. phasors28

phasors28 Member

4. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Whelp. I’m currently adding Gerrit Cole to my “Fan for Life” list.

Anybody that can say that in the middle of a clubhouse with Aaron Judge, Gleyber Torres, and Giancarlo Stanton is a real one. While wearing the uniform of the team people believe were screwed over the most in the AL, no less.

Houstunna, King1, itzIce and 10 others like this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Meh, Judge/Torres/Stanton are media fabrications of being "big name stars" simply because they play in NY. They've won nothing... they've all failed on the most important of stages... and Stanton is the biggest hypocritical idiot for commenting on this situation (in fact, Yankees fans didn't really care for his input unless he was going to somehow live up to the ridiculous contract he was getting).

IOW... Gerrit Cole has more accomplishments, big-game success, and has every right to speak his mind in that clubhouse. He's earned that right with his hard work/performance and ultimate success.

RayRay10 and arkoe like this.
  6. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

But Stanton would hit 80 homers if he knew what was coming...

7. Handles

Handles Member

I just woke up from a nightmare where an Astros fan was murdered at an away game. Be careful on the road this year, sports fans. Especially in LA and NY.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

"It's unfortunate, it's a black eye for the sport, I mean that's the bottom line," Jeter told reporters on Monday at the Marlins' spring training facility in Florida.

"When you talk about people trying to get an edge in baseball, I don't think that's anything new, people have been trying to do that for years but obviously [the Astros] took it way too far," Jeter added. "There's penalties for it and they're paying the price. Regardless of what the penalties are, others are going to have their opinions on what they think should happen, but you hope that over time, it passes. But I'm sure this is going to sting for a while."

"We're continuing to talk about it, the sport continues to talk about it, so yeah it's sort of like the PED era," Jeter said. "That was something that everybody continued to talk about. You never forget it. This is something that's not a good look for the sport but hopefully, in time, it'll pass."

HatsForBats, King1, Colt45 and 2 others like this.
  9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Isn't Gleyber Torres only 22? Or did he turn 23 in the off-season? Who would know?

10. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Soto is still 20 according to Joe Buck

11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Gammons:
    https://theathletic.com/1631970/202...gh-the-wreckage-red-sox-wait-for-mlbs-report/

But teammates and ex-teammates this spring have sworn Altuve did not. He’s not talking, but one ex-teammate said privately that if Altuve did publicly plead innocence, he would be indicting other players, which he won’t do. One former Astros pitcher called him. That’s the answer he got.

[...] I was told that when Justin Verlander got to Houston on the first of September, 2017, he voiced disapproval; but he was new, and was thrown into a clubhouse that believed the Houston Astros were going to win.

Carlos Beltrán came over from the Yankees and reportedly told Astros players they were far behind in sign-stealing. The Astros were so convinced that the Dodgers had some elaborate system in 2017 they kept changing signs in Dodger Stadium during the World Series.
    ...Beltran will never get a job in baseball again.

RayRay10 and everyday eddie like this.
  12. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Altuve won't even be an indirect rat even to exonerate himself.

mikol13, Houstunna, King1 and 5 others like this.
  13. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I wonder how many runs Jeter scored off the bat of A-Rod, Giambi, and others?

14. awc713

awc713 Member

Put Jeter on the Reds, Mariners, or Astros, and he’s gets into the HOF on the 3rd or 4th go-around.

Handles, jklb, texans1095 and 5 others like this.
  15. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Put Biggio on the Yankees and they'd name the stadium after him.

Handles, jklb, mkahanek and 9 others like this.
  16. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I didn’t mention them because they are the leaders of the locker room. I mentioned them because they have already come out and blasted the Astros.

Cole has certainly earned the right to speak his mind in the locker room, but he’s the new guy in a room full of guys that are clearly upset about the situation. Nobody is mad at Gerrit Cole. It doesn’t benefit him one bit to say anything about this situation. But instead of sitting back and trying to move on he spoke up for his guys and said they didn’t do anything wrong in ‘18 or ‘19.

I have a ton of respect for him.

Which I can’t say about Mike Fiers. And I’m not even talking about him blowing this thing open. This guy could very easily change the perception of Altuve around the league by saying he didn’t use it but he suddenly became tight lipped and “focused on this season”. I can’t stand that piece of trash.

Houstunna and RayRay10 like this.
  17. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I think Fiers is in a position of "damage control" himself. Just in the sense that...answer one question and it leads to another question. He is trying, very simply, to protect his interests. Nobody has asked him (YET) why he lied in his initial accusation. The Athletic said he said that they didnt do it in the playoffs. MLB's report says they did. I wonder why. Fiers has been out for himself this whole time. He cant let them start feeding off of him. He really is a despicable dude.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed.

I just think those Yankees “leaders” aren’t all that intimidating. They get overhyped due to the media portrayal.

Cole is the only true alpha male right now on that team.

everyday eddie, RayRay10 and arkoe like this.
  19. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I definitely agree with that statement.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. awc713

awc713 Member

I honestly have no ill will towards Fiers. Yeah, it sucks that he ousted HOU to the media, but HOU has no one to blame but ourselves. At the end of the day, HOU really needs more “Fiers” to step up and shed light on what other clubhouses were doing. It’s a black eye for the entire league—not just HOU.

I don’t think that will happen anytime soon given the devastating affect it’s had on HOU. In all honesty, I bet Fiers doesn’t make the comments if he knew this would be the fallout. Who knows. But MLB needs more players to step up and say something. I fear it will all come out in the next 5 or so years as players’ careers wind down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.