1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey threw MDA his ultimate bone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaselineFade, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Remlap

Remlap Member

Yeah, but Morey has constructed a team that's now built for small ball and disruptive defense (lengthy arms)
    We've revised our lineup and it looks like it could have some real potential. (We'll find out more against Utah tomorrow)

Everyone keeps squawking for a BIG C for the middle, but we need someone that can run
    with the boys AND that has a shooting touch.
    Clint could run (which is where he scored many of his points, but had 0 offensive game or range.
    Easy for opposing C to simply ignore him on offense and protect the paint.
    Not any more. Their C is going to have to 'adjust' by coming out to the perimeter or risk open 3's raining down.
    Opposing C also going to have to get up/down the court with someone like Green or DMC. That wears down a BIG guy.
    If Green continues his hot shooting, that could be devastating for opposing teams.

2. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

only get those MDA will use, otherwise trade those guy just sitting is wasting time

D-rock and BaselineFade like this.
  3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I hear what yer sayin... and I do think the game plan has merit... I just dont see it working the majority of the time (to win a series) against every team we encounter throughout a championship run. I'd feel a lot better about it if I felt like we at least had a conventional center option - but TC doesnt play and Harty is back to the G league... so evidently we're just gonna live or die with this now. I hope it doesnt turn into the next 0-27...

I applaud the swarming and disruptive defense thats been happening. The focus and energy level has risen dramatically imo... Idk why it took this change to get everybody putting in the effort - but whatever...
    Concern is - is it sustainable? If MDA is planning to run a 10+ man rotation on an ongoing basis - maybe... But if we start tightening the rotation (as MDA likes to do...), maybe a minor injury or two (as tends to happen...) and we're back to guys like PJ logging 38-40 minutes a night while battling bigger centers - then we're in trouble... So the question is - can MDA utilize enough of his roster so as to not run the starters into the ground and keep fresh legs throughout the playoffs to employ this high energy effort? If he can... that alleviates the vast majority of the b****in I've done about MDA over his tenure... lol

With 2 MVPs I thought the days of high risk gambles were behind us... evidently not... lol

Welp... hoping for the best... I'd love to be wrong... we'll see...

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

I am of opinion we worry about those things when happen, right now our rotation is great, our roster is both deep and playable.

12 players that fit is so much better than 7 players that fit and capable of maximizing system.

And the sustainable argument can be applied to everything under the sun. We will use the system until it's not sustainable. Adapt then.

kjayp likes this.